2004 Ford Explorer

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
This is my 2004 Ford Explorer Limited POV, used for EMS/Fire response. This is an ongoing setup and items will be added when funds are available! So far 2 Axixtech XL06 in Blue are installed in the grille, and a Code 3 711 HLF is installed on the high beams. These have been hooked up on a cigarette plug with an inline fuse. 2 VHF 1/4 wave antennas have been added, 1 on the rear roof via magnet mount, and 1 on the left side of the hood using an NMO L mount bracket (hood bracket). The radio has NOT been installed, and I am currently devising some brackets to hold it in the correct position in the console.

Pics of current install:

Glamour Shots :crazy: :

DCAM0019.JPG

HLF Placement. This is on top of the fuse box under the hood. All connections have since been heat shrunk:

DCAM0011.JPG

Grille Light Placement. These were attached to the plastic piece on either side behind the grille. I got the idea from another member's install thread:

DCAM0013.JPG

Antenna placement. 2 1/4 wave VHF antennas, one mounted to hood area via the L bracket, the other being a magnet mount on the rear center roof:

DCAM0022.JPG

Radio placement. This is where I am currently trying to install the radio. If anyone has any other ideas, feel free to leave feedback!

DCAM0025.JPG

100W siren speaker placement. Siren speaker to be installed soon:

DCAM0016.JPG

Video of current install:

Grille Off-

DCAM0010.JPG

DCAM0012.JPG

DCAM0014.JPG

DCAM0015.JPG

DCAM0017.JPG

DCAM0018.JPG

DCAM0020.JPG

DCAM0021.JPG

DCAM0023.JPG

DCAM0024.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Man i have forgotten how loud mechanical flashers are! Sheesh

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
A rare case in which lights don't need to be sync'd. :thumbsup:

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
nerdly_dood said:
A rare case in which lights don't need to be sync'd. :thumbsup:

Thanks! I forgot to add, the camera doesn't quite catch the grille light flash pattern (you can see it kinda skip at some points), but it does get a bunch of attention. Syncing is all nice and great, but sometimes it doesn't need to be done. Sometimes random works best!

lednut

May 21, 2010
Middletown, CT
I have a Havis Shields Vehicle Specific console for this vehicle for sale if your interested. I had a 2003 Explorer that was totaled in an accident. I stripped the equipment out of it before it went to the junk yard. PM me if your interested.

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
Az_Medic said:
Why would you not sync the grill lights? Just looks weird to me unsync'd.

The grille lights are sync'd, the grille lights aren't sync'd with the HLF (what I was speaking of in the earlier post). They do jump around a bit, but I assure you wire have been connected as they should and are sync'd (I think the pattern is throwing the camera off). I will try and get a better video if I can.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drewstang

May 25, 2010
Louisville, KY
Its getting there, but why go through the floor with the wires when there is a large gromet under the hood next to the brake booster? I've wired up many Explorers and always use the underhood gromet.

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
Drewstang said:
Its getting there, but why go through the floor with the wires when there is a large gromet under the hood next to the brake booster? I've wired up many Explorers and always use the underhood gromet.

Honestly, I looked all over the firewall to enter the wires, but I didn't find a spot that I felt comfortable with using (for future expansion). I eventually plan to, if all goes well, install a PB and lights to it, one more antenna, and run the speaker wire. That's not including my 2 main power wires, HLF power wire, grille light power wire, and my current antenna wire, and that grommet on the floor seemed sufficient enough. If not, there are two more grommets next to it if need be. That's the main reason. I'm attempting to get a Havis console for it now, but I'm low on money. Things will be in the for sale section soon! lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.