2011 Dodge Charger Brake Light Cut-Out

SPMRC

Jun 10, 2011
Lubbock, Texas
EVModules said:
and air-bag deactivation. I've been asked a few times to make this option available with our modules and it's always a polite no regardless of offers to sign waivers, etc.

Ok, why would someone wants his airbag deactivated?

SPMRC

Jun 10, 2011
Lubbock, Texas
EMS_Installer said:
I put passenger airbag deactivation switches in most of my installs. It prevents the laptops (etc) from becoming missiles.

Yeah they have this for several reasons, but why the driver airbag?

So you can ram someone more then ones or why?

cory y

May 21, 2010
SPMRC said:
I can turn off the headlights at my TB.
Tried it while waiting on someone with running engine.

Press your dome override button 3 or 4x quickly. You should hear a chime and the auto headlights and drls are disabled for an ignition cycle

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
EMS_Installer said:
I've never seen anyone kill a driver's airbag on purpose.

I had the driver side air bag on/off switches installed fleetwide in 1997. At that time, it seemed that some (few) bad guys found that stopping for the police car, then backing up into it would deploy the driver airbag, allowing the bad guy to drive away. Activation / use of the switch was driver choice.

EMS_Installer

Feb 4, 2011
Portland, OR
Retired1 said:
I had the driver side air bag on/off switches installed fleetwide in 1997. At that time, it seemed that some (few) bad guys found that stopping for the police car, then backing up into it would deploy the driver airbag, allowing the bad guy to drive away. Activation / use of the switch was driver choice.

Interesting. Hadn't heard of that being done before, with the exception of a medical need (i.e. a person has to sit too close to the wheel due to size, either too big or too small).

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
EMS_Installer said:
Interesting. Hadn't heard of that being done before, with the exception of a medical need (i.e. a person has to sit too close to the wheel due to size, either too big or too small).

From a failing memory: I seem to recall that some very large agencies installed these during the same time as I bought them for my fleet. The current supplier is AOI.

AOI Electrical, LLC :: Airbag On/Off Switch | Deactivation Shunts

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
We have blackout buttons on our cars. Love the feature. As someone pointed out, some bad guys have the ability to use their brains and can spot a blacked out patrol car approaching but luckily most are stupid enough to not see one slipping by to park in a spot that helps conceal the car more.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
SPMRC said:
Yeah they have this for several reasons, but why the driver airbag?

So you can ram someone more then ones or why?

No one said anything about the driver's airbag. Second generation airbags have sensors built in the passenger seat that instructs the module to operate in child mode, adult mode, and off when nothing's on the seat. Unfortunately, the AOI module is still necessary to disable it altogether if there's objects in the airbag zone such as cameras, computers, laptops, radars, etc. I've never heard of anyone disabling the driver's airbag at all.

Continuing the topic, I wonder how much force it takes to deploy the airbag as well as to trip the fuel shutoff sensor, usually located behind the passenger kick panel. Curious if those felons are also smart mechanics who may know a thing or two about disabling a modern car with the sensors.

SPMRC

Jun 10, 2011
Lubbock, Texas
EVModules said:
No one said anything about the driver's airbag. Second generation airbags have sensors built in the passenger seat that instructs the module to operate in child mode, adult mode, and off when nothing's on the seat. Unfortunately, the AOI module is still necessary to disable it altogether if there's objects in the airbag zone such as cameras, computers, laptops, radars, etc. I've never heard of anyone disabling the driver's airbag at all.

Continuing the topic, I wonder how much force it takes to deploy the airbag as well as to trip the fuel shutoff sensor, usually located behind the passenger kick panel. Curious if those felons are also smart mechanics who may know a thing or two about disabling a modern car with the sensors.

Yes he did:

Retired1 said:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.