2011 Ford Taurus Interceptor!

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
LAWS STORE said:
The Ford is pretty depressing we just saw it at a pre release Looks like the Chevrolet will be the hot item. Heard Carbon is still 3 years away if it can even pass crash testing.

Do you actually have any reasons to back up your "depressing" opinion? Are we talking looks, performance, what? I know as far as looks, the Taurus looks f'ing hot, while the Chevy looks like every other Chevy sedan out there.....

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Rofocowboy84 said:
You can't compare a sedan to an SUV! Now, if you were to complain that an Expedition doesn't have enough room for you, so you'd have to stick with your Tahoe, that's one thing. I'm guessing you have a Tahoe to begin with because you couldn't fit into a CVPI or Charger, right?

Actually i like our CVPIs they are nice rides but the ones we have are 2008s and the Tahoe is assigned to me so thats why i drive it. But i do take the CVPIs out and about every once in a while they are plenty big for me. And the charger well we dont have one so i cant speak about that car.

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
I can't speak for a Charger with a partition in it, but I have '09 R/T AWD. I have plenty of room, and I'm 6'5" and 240. The only annoying part is have to squat down at traffic lights that are mounted to high! I have driven the car before after my wife who's 5'10", so I would venture to guess that I would fit in there with a partition. Just don't tell me to stay in there for extended periods.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
Station 3 said:
Actually i like our CVPIs they are nice rides but the ones we have are 2008s and the Tahoe is assigned to me so thats why i drive it. But i do take the CVPIs out and about every once in a while they are plenty big for me. And the charger well we dont have one so i cant speak about that car.

So, since the new Interceptor has been shown to be essentially just as big at the CVPI, how can you say that it won't be big enough for you?

ParkPiggy

May 21, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Newberry13 said:
I can't speak for a Charger with a partition in it, but I have '09 R/T AWD. I have plenty of room, and I'm 6'5" and 240. The only annoying part is have to squat down at traffic lights that are mounted to high! I have driven the car before after my wife who's 5'10", so I would venture to guess that I would fit in there with a partition. Just don't tell me to stay in there for extended periods.

I have an 07 R/T, and agree. At 6ft, I don't even have the seat slid all the way back!

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Rofocowboy84 said:
So, since the new Interceptor has been shown to be essentially just as big at the CVPI, how can you say that it won't be big enough for you?

Dont care what a piece of paper says im not getting in that car whats the world coming too might as well strap a lightbar on a honda civic and drive it around. Same thing

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
RL1 said:
That;s totally different from what he was saying! There's no lightbar ;)

It's got a light in the headliner, in the foglight housings, and I'd expect more in back, as well as hideaways all around.

But if you really require a lightbar:

afarm3.static.flickr.com_2684_4243546868_31703df9ec.jpg

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I'm guessing it just looks like the ends are rounded because of the low angle.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Station 3 said:
Dont care what a piece of paper says im not getting in that car whats the world coming too might as well strap a lightbar on a honda civic and drive it around. Same thing

I don't understand? Taurus' have been used as police cars (at least in my area) for years and years. So what's so bad about a body style change? The new look to me is the best looking Taurus yet. I don't understand your rational; at first it was because it was to small, but now since that's disproved you're reverting to the cars looks?? Seems dumb to me but that's just what I think

ParkPiggy

May 21, 2010
Northeast Ohio
tom said:
I don't understand? Taurus' have been used as police cars (at least in my area) for years and years. So what's so bad about a body style change? The new look to me is the best looking Taurus yet. I don't understand your rational; at first it was because it was to small, but now since that's disproved you're reverting to the cars looks?? Seems dumb to me but that's just what I think

Its change, some people merely cringe at it.

cory y

May 21, 2010
Rejecting the new interceptor just because you dont like the way it looks without even ever trying it on for size, is the same as people rejecting the new Caprice because it has a center console shift.

quit being so damned thickheaded and moronic and put some research into things before blindly condemming something because its new and different.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
Station 3 said:

Why are you forming opinions on a car that's not even released yet? Why not try it firsthand when it comes out, and make your decisions based on firsthand, real-world encounters and not internet discussions?

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
cory y said:
where did you hear that the Caprice was planned fro public sale?

Just some google searches I was doing that offered up some articles.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2010/07/report-2011-chevrolet-caprice-to-be-sold-to-the-public.html

From the article: "Chevrolet’s fleet-only Caprice will likely be sold to the General Public after a tide of interest forced General Motors to re-consider their plans to restrict sales to fleets.

The Caprice is essentially a stretched version of the Pontiac G8, a rear-drive, V8 powered large sedan based off the much-lauded, Australian market Holden Commodore. The G8 was beloved by enthusiasts but tepidly received by the public. The G8 lasted only two model years before the Pontiac brand was killed by General Motors.

According to a report from Carenvy.ca, a “very reliable source” confirmed that the car will be sold in dealerships, but gave no details as to trim levels or how the vehicle would be positioned. After contact Car Envy’s Peter Dushenski, we’re inclined to believe the information as true. The new Caprice nameplate has a ton of cachet among a few demographics, as boomers remember the car from their youth, and young people associate the car with hip-hop music, lowriders and “donks”. The prospect of a Corvette derived small-block V8 is also enticing.

General Motors also revealed their first pictures of the “Detective Package” Caprice, which should give some major clues as to how the civilian version will look if it comes to market. A Caprice sold to the public will likely have an upgraded interior compared to the G8 and the workhorse versions, and don’t be surprised to see a V6 version as well.
"

This could be outdated...but it seems legit.

cory y

May 21, 2010
If that's the case I would probably thing they would public release it a year or two after the pd versions... that being said ill be first in line. Unless I find a dealer I can hornswaggle into selling me a 9c3 before....

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
cory y said:
If that's the case I would probably thing they would public release it a year or two after the pd versions... that being said ill be first in line. Unless I find a dealer I can hornswaggle into selling me a 9c3 before....

I'll be right with you in line ;-)

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
ISU_Cyclone said:
Just some google searches I was doing that offered up some articles.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2010/07/report-2011-chevrolet-caprice-to-be-sold-to-the-public.html

From the article: "Chevrolet’s fleet-only Caprice will likely be sold to the General Public after a tide of interest forced General Motors to re-consider their plans to restrict sales to fleets.

The Caprice is essentially a stretched version of the Pontiac G8, a rear-drive, V8 powered large sedan based off the much-lauded, Australian market Holden Commodore. The G8 was beloved by enthusiasts but tepidly received by the public. The G8 lasted only two model years before the Pontiac brand was killed by General Motors.

According to a report from Carenvy.ca, a “very reliable source” confirmed that the car will be sold in dealerships, but gave no details as to trim levels or how the vehicle would be positioned. After contact Car Envy’s Peter Dushenski, we’re inclined to believe the information as true. The new Caprice nameplate has a ton of cachet among a few demographics, as boomers remember the car from their youth, and young people associate the car with hip-hop music, lowriders and “donks”. The prospect of a Corvette derived small-block V8 is also enticing.

General Motors also revealed their first pictures of the “Detective Package” Caprice, which should give some major clues as to how the civilian version will look if it comes to market. A Caprice sold to the public will likely have an upgraded interior compared to the G8 and the workhorse versions, and don’t be surprised to see a V6 version as well.
"

This could be outdated...but it seems legit.

Its dated July 13 2010 so not really outdated. They would have to sell the Caprice to the public so it could blend in. Otherwise, people will know its a cop since they are the only ones with them

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
FireEMSPolice said:
Its dated July 13 2010 so not really outdated. They would have to sell the Caprice to the public so it could blend in. Otherwise, people will know its a cop since they are the only ones with them

I think the even bigger motivation is GM realizing that they could sell A LOT of these cars.

ParkPiggy

May 21, 2010
Northeast Ohio
The bigger reason to sell them to the public, is that it is more justification when they move the Zeta platform to the US, from Australia. Between the Zeta and Alpha lines, it should tie up the Caprice PPV, Camaro, CTS, a "full size flag ship" for caddy, a Buick, and a chevy.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Chevrolet has said they are bringing the G8 back. It will not be the caprice. I don't see the blending in being an issue. People can't see a squad car with lights flashing, they won't notice a fat impala! I think the caprice will dominate within 2 years. A lot of agencies have bought cars recently, but I have noticed more and more cancelling RFB' s. with the reason on waiting for new model release.

theolog

Dec 27, 2010
North Carolina
It'll be fine for family use and admin or detective assignment, but a complete failure as a general patrol duty car, just like the Impala.

I hope Dodge and Chevy pick up Ford's market share. The Taurus/Interceptor is a joke.

cory y

May 21, 2010
theolog said:
As a police car for the first four years' worth, and ever since as a FWD V6 for rural or highway use.

While I agree the last body style of the impala was pretty shitty as a patrol car, but the current generation is a damn good car.

Its faster than a vic and V6 charger, and designed from the drawing board AS a police car, then modified into a civilian car. Unlike the vic or charger.

Have you spend any real time behind the wheel of a current generation impala 9c1?

theolog

Dec 27, 2010
North Carolina
cory y said:
Have you spend any real time behind the wheel of a current generation impala 9c1?

No, but quite a few of my coworkers have...and my personal car is a 2008 SS Impala. That should count for something! :bonk:

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
We have an 09 9C1 and i love it during the winter, though its not my assigned car so i rarely get to drive it! But i'd buy one for a pov in a heartbeat if i got a good deal on one!

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
My FIL was assigned an 06 9C1 Impala when he was a Sgt. It was really awful and wished they had a Crown Victoria. They have a fleet full of 9C1's, PPV Tahoe's and TrailBlazers. They have 1 or 2 CVPI's left and just ordered a 11' CVPI, their first since 2003 or 2004. All the officers hate the 9C1's and TrailBlazers. He has a TrailBlazer since he is now a Lt.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.