2011 Hyundai Elantra

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Just finally finished for now my 2011 Hyundai Elantra. Below is a list of what's installed so far:

Front:

Grill-Two blue Whelen Tir3s

Front Bumper-Two blue Whelen Tir3s for intersection

Windshield-Blue/Blue Whelen Dual Talon

Rear:

Deck-Two StrobesNMore E6s, one blue one amber

Inside Trunk-Two blue Whelen 500s wired to trunk light so they come on automatically when trunk is open.

Lights controlled by Feniex Olympic R5 remote switch panel, controlled by wireless remote with 5 buttons. Main control box mounted in trunk. Pictures will be posted either tonight or hopefully by tomorrow, the weather is not the best right now.

The black box is the control box for the wireless remote, which is the little black remote with 5 buttons. One thing I forgot to mention is I also have a Fed Sig maplight in the center console. The red rocker switches are what used to control my lights, and the two small red switches are what used to control the flash pattern on the SNM E6s and the front dash light.

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_20121008_170449.jpg

IMG_20121008_164736.jpg

IMG_20121008_164752.jpg

IMG_20121010_173552.jpg

IMG_20121010_173601.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
I know I promised yesterday, ended up having to do some work on one of our engines and then was out of town. Will be taking some this morning along with hopefully a video and post them soon after. My apologies for the delay.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Photos added, right now no intersection warning as I'm trying to decide where to put them as there are a couple of spots, and in the rear I'm tossing around the possibility of splitting the SNM E6s apart and putting a Whelen Slimlighter over the third break light; still in the air though.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
I bought it brand new last year and love it. It handles great, is great on gas(about a week 1/2 per tank only $35 to fill it), plenty of room and luxuries. Mine came with built in bluetooth, and the controls for it along with controls for the radio are built into the steering wheel so I very rarely take my hands off the steering wheel to control much of anything. Only downfall was options on where to mount switches and radios, because of the design and layout of the center console. Biggest difference between Elantra and Sonata aside from a little design difference is price; other then that they are pretty much the same car.

firefighter31

Sep 16, 2011
Missouri
how do the trunk lights work? If they are wired into the trunk lights wouldn't that cause trouble when say you were putting groceries into the trunk and started flashing blue?

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
firefighter31 said:
how do the trunk lights work? If they are wired into the trunk lights wouldn't that cause trouble when say you were putting groceries into the trunk and started flashing blue?

Haven't really had any issues, yes they do come on when the trunk is open but it doesn't bother me and people usually just look real quick and carry on. I have thought about taking one of the smaller red push buttons and mounting it in the trunk so I can just tap it and turn them off, if I do that its not happening until I get a new fuse panel so there's not a random open hole.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
TheGatekeeper said:
Soi what you are syaing is that tthe red switches have no use anymore ?

That is correct, just took that picture to show what used to control my lights vs what controls them now. I have to get those replacement parts from the dealership and then those switches will be gone.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
TheGatekeeper said:
Well, nice ride anyway.

It is a nice ride, been one of the best cars I've had yet. Unfortunately the replacement pieces I need from the dealership, while only 3-4 bucks has to be ordered through them to meet the specific trim of my car. The Feniex remote was a great purchase and am more then happy to get rid of the switches in the dash and make it go back to somewhat normal. Just not sure about the back, have a couple ideas in mind changing things around.

Nov 7, 2011
New England
firefighter31 said:

LMAO I can just picture that now!! slick install man

Aug 1, 2011
Ballston Spa NY USA
crescentstar69 said:
How do you like your Elantra? I can't decide between that or a Sonata.

if you want a sedan with a lot of room and power to go with it, get the Sonata. my gramps has an 08 with the 3.3 V6 and is totally awesome. unfortunately, Hyundai stopped making the Sonata with the V6. i had a 2011 as a rental when it got into an accident with the 08 and loved it. the Elantra is good, but the Sonata is bigger. MPG is roughly the same either way. unless you get either the Sonata Turbo or the hybrid. the turbo boasts a whopping 274HP on a 2.0L turbo charged I-4 and a price tag under 25K. MPG is still in the mid 30's at its high point. the Hybrid brings it to over 40 but costs over 30k and far less power. i would go with the Sonata personally.

*steps off the stage*

nice setup man. im wanting to get more/newer LEDs for my setup

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Slight change to the front lights, now have a 911EP LS12 all blue in the front, and will be installing a momentary switch tomorrow in the trunk for the two 500s. Pictures to be posted once that's finished.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Will post a few new pics today as I have a new dash light, unfortunately the momentary switch in the trunk just did not want to work so I scratched that and the 500s still just come on when the trunk is open. I am seeking a little input and help, I'm tossing around the idea of either keeping my SNM E6s where they are, or possibly moving them to either side of the third break light. Problem is what would be the easiest way to hide the wires if at all possible without drilling a hole into the deck to hide them.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Finally got the Whelen Tir3s mounted to the front bumper, on either side for intersection warning. These do work very well here actually, I've used them a few times. Also got a dual blue/blue Whelen Talon for the front windshield. Posted some pictures of the bumper lights finished and some of the work put into it. Took about two days since pretty much all I could do was some of the wiring and a friend of mine helped take off the bumper. Still throwing around some ideas about the rear deck and adding or changing things up.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
I will try to get some videos tomorrow of everything. I'm considering getting another set of the SNM E6s for the other side on the rear deck, or possibly re-arranging some things. I've had a lot of people tell me to throw some red in there, and there are those who will go on about "well technically", but that's not something I'm getting involved in. Blue and amber to the rear works fine for me and is attention getting.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
what the heck is on top of that scanner going to the coax?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
i know what the map light is. . . :crazy:

i was talking about what looks liek a jerry rigged 90 or a horrible solder job or the coax is about ready to fall out of the connector.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Jarred J. said:
i know what the map light is. . . :crazy:

i was talking about what looks liek a jerry rigged 90 or a horrible solder job or the coax is about ready to fall out of the connector.

Ohh that, I have the trunk mount antenna for my scanner, and the BNC connector that came with the cable ended up getting crushed so I bought a new connector and that was before I fixed it completely.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Just finished remounting my StrobesNMore E6s on the rear deck. I custom made housing for them so as to help hide the wires better when I moved them, and then used the original mounting brackets to help close the box in and mount them. These pictures were taken just after finishing closing up the housing and seeing where they worked best. For the custom housing all I did was take a Radio Shack project box, cut it in half and drill holes to run the wires through. Then using the single mounting brackets for the SNM E6 closed the box in hiding all the wires from the back. The wires in between and running to behind the deck will be wrapped in wire loom once complete.

120.jpg

122.jpg

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
That's not a permanent fix; that's until I can find something that would work better. I've been looking for a Whelen CHSML light housing, but as I have been unable to find just the housing had to make my own. I'm not going to buy new lights as these lights work fine, I just moved them from where they were and wanted to hide the wires as best I could, hence the custom housing and eventually the wire loom. If you have any ideas besides buying new lights, as I would end up running into the same problem; I'm open to constructive ideas.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
No bashing intended... Apologies for the misunderstanding.

I didn't get it was temporary... ;)

Personnally I don't like the grille L-shaped mounts ... except in a grill where they belong! :weird:

Have you considered installing those heads by the headliner ? And tuck/hide the wires under the ceiling ?

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
I was not offended by any means and apologize if my response came off showing such. I'm not to fond of the L-brackets either but unfortunately those are the only style mounts SNM offers that would work. They were originally mounted in the headliner, but the rear windshield of the Elantra is somewhat narrow and that's why I moved them to the deck, where almost anywhere they go is behind one of the seats so it doesn't affect my view.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
I've thought about getting a dual Talon or a Slimlighter, but a) I'd look to trade only since it would be replacing the E6s, and B) I'd want something blue/amber as that's what I have now and is very effective in my opinion.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
I am looking to replace the E6s, they are a great light; their profile makes them tough to mount on the deck where I want them. I'm looking for either two Whelen Talons for either side of the third break light, or I'm actually considering the SOS Ghosts. Again the big thing is I want to keep the same colors of blue/amber.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
efdny2003 said:
I am looking to replace the E6s, they are a great light; their profile makes them tough to mount on the deck where I want them. I'm looking for either two Whelen Talons for either side of the third break light, or I'm actually considering the SOS Ghosts. Again the big thing is I want to keep the same colors of blue/amber.

You could do two dual warning bars in B/A as well

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
I've thought about that, I want the lights up as close as possible to the windshield so as to prevent to much loss of light output. Unfortunately the design of the 2011 Elantra and probably every newer model Hyundai it is a very narrow space on the rear deck. That's why I'm looking for something with a smaller profile to fit as close as possible.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Removed the two StrobesNMore E6s and took my dual talon from up front and mounted it on the deck, centered over the third break light. Replaced the talon up front with a Whelen Cadet rotator for now until I get something else.

IMG_20130210_164432.jpg

IMG_20130210_164452.jpg

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Just finished mounting my Uniden Bct8 today, mounted in the center console. Only thing I may look to do is get an external speaker for it, while the speaker is fairly loud for the unit and does come through, just want it to be a little louder/clearer.

IMG_20130223_094859.jpg

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
I like to think so, a lot of people had not bad but not good things to say about the Bct8 but so far it's worked beautifully for me. The Talon on the rear deck is nice, and I have thought about ways to add a little amber in there. I'm still trying to get something new for the front to replace the Cadet rotator for up front. I have tossed around the idea of getting rid of the 500s in the trunk, still not sure about that.

Nov 7, 2011
New England
efdny2003 said:
I like to think so, a lot of people had not bad but not good things to say about the Bct8 but so far it's worked beautifully for me. The Talon on the rear deck is nice, and I have thought about ways to add a little amber in there. I'm still trying to get something new for the front to replace the Cadet rotator for up front. I have tossed around the idea of getting rid of the 500s in the trunk, still not sure about that.

You ought to put a feniex 2x in the front. thats my favorite light I sell.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
jcpse said:
You ought to put a feniex 2x in the front. thats my favorite light I sell.

Im not sure what Id want to put up front. Id like either a Talon or Slimlighter, but Id also look to get on a trade just because Im trying to get rid of the E6s now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.