2011 Hyundai Elantra

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
efdny2003 said:
Just finished mounting my Uniden Bct8 today, mounted in the center console. Only thing I may look to do is get an external speaker for it, while the speaker is fairly loud for the unit and does come through, just want it to be a little louder/clearer.

I have a 2012. I have a BCT15X mounted behind the console and I put an external speaker under the dash behind the plastic. If you look to the left of the console by the transmission hump there's just enough room to squeeze it in behind there.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
bfd740 said:
I have a 2012. I have a BCT15X mounted behind the console and I put an external speaker under the dash behind the plastic. If you look to the left of the console by the transmission hump there's just enough room to squeeze it in behind there.

I actually have to admit I really like the scanner being where it is in the center console. Not sure how the 2012 console is set up but I have a little "cubby" with a coverwhere there's a cigarette plug and the plug for the Ipod/USB device; I'm looking at that for the spot for the external speaker and just leaving that open when I'm in the car and closed when I'm not. I'm also working on re-doing all the wiring just to clean it up a bit.

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
efdny2003 said:
I actually have to admit I really like the scanner being where it is in the center console. Not sure how the 2012 console is set up but I have a little "cubby" with a coverwhere there's a cigarette plug and the plug for the Ipod/USB device; I'm looking at that for the spot for the external speaker and just leaving that open when I'm in the car and closed when I'm not. I'm also working on re-doing all the wiring just to clean it up a bit.

The 2012 is the same, but I use that area for "stuff" like if my phone is plugged in I'll stick it in there. Where I put it it is just as loud, it's out of the way, and there's no holes.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
bfd740 said:
The 2012 is the same, but I use that area for "stuff" like if my phone is plugged in I'll stick it in there. Where I put it it is just as loud, it's out of the way, and there's no holes.

Only thing I've ever put in there really is my Ipod, when I plug my phone in I use the side outlet and just leave it on the seat.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
OK, got some new lights on the way and I'm basically re-doing the light set up. Only things staying are the grill/bumper everything else got removed and is being replaced. The scanner also stayed. I'm looking for an external speaker for the scanner to put in a small cubby area in my center console. I can have the exact measurements tomorrow. I'm looking for what would be the best external speaker for a scanner, and if anyone has one for sale on here or the best place to go. Unfortunately none of the Radio Shacks near me carry any of that stuff in stock anymore.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
I recently removed all the lighting from my car with the exception of the grill/bumper lights and am re-doing the rest. I just received two Feniex Cobra 2xs which I mounted and wired yesterday. Fortunately since these have the thick solid wire I wasn't worried about putting it in wire loom for now, and am probably going to remove the rear deck to run the wire under it. Unfortunately I still have a bad shoulder which is why when I mounted them yesterday the wire is exposed as such. So attached are two quick pictures of the lights mounted on the deck, and I do also have a short video of the rear but am unsure how to upload it, so if anyone can help me with that it would be much appreciated.

IMG_20130413_154351.jpg

IMG_20130413_154356.jpg

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
I know a little late as this was done a while ago, but I never think to take some pictures while I'm actually doing the work. So attached are a few pictures of the wiring after I re-did everything when I got my current control box. Also pictured is my GPS which is hardwired and turns on when the car turns on like the scanner. Yes I know the floor is a little dirty, it's going to get detailed soon as no matter how many times I vacuum it seems like double the amount of dirt shows up.

IMG_20130414_120235.jpg

IMG_20130414_120320.jpg

IMG_20130414_121059.jpg

IMG_20130414_121120.jpg

IMG_20130414_121246.jpg

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Got a Fed Sig Viper S2 dual head b/b yesterday and mounted it. The light did not come with a mounting bracket, so I used the trick from here using the coat hanger method. It holds the light very well and the light does not move, and it's very snug against the headliner. After I had the hanger cut and bent and tried so I knew it would work I took a heavy duty black permanent marker and colored the whole thing black so it looks better, which it surprisingly does. Pictures below:

001.jpg

002.jpg

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Added a couple small things to the car. Added an external speaker for the scanner, mounted in a small cubby in the center console which has a flip up cover so the speaker is also hidden unless I flip it up. Also added a seat rail mount for my tablet. I will at some point once I figure out where and how to mount it be adding a Maglight.

IMG_20130526_210329.jpg

IMG_20130523_185513.jpg

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
How well does that mount hold the tablet? I feel like it would bounce out easily...

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Storm4200 said:
How well does that mount hold the tablet? I feel like it would bounce out easily...

It actually holds it very well, I too was worried about that. The clips hold it very well and are not adjustable(they slide in and out of a tight rail not height adjustable). I drove around quite a while with it and it holds well.

May 27, 2013
NY
I like your progress. I'm curious... What is the coat hanger trick? Do you just kind of hook the tops of the hangers up and in between the headliner and windshield/roof?

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
FollowingNFront said:
I like your progress. I'm curious... What is the coat hanger trick? Do you just kind of hook the tops of the hangers up and in between the headliner and windshield/roof?

There's a couple ways to do it, there's a thread in the tips and tricks section. Some guys actually poke it through the headliner, but with the headliner I have it would leave an obvious hole. I made it long enough and put two bends in it. One that allows it to go over the headliner and another that goes up kind of hooking it in. It's held very tightly and hasn't fallen.

May 27, 2013
NY
efdny2003 said:
There's a couple ways to do it, there's a thread in the tips and tricks section. Some guys actually poke it through the headliner, but with the headliner I have it would leave an obvious hole. I made it long enough and put two bends in it. One that allows it to go over the headliner and another that goes up kind of hooking it in. It's held very tightly and hasn't fallen.

That's cool. After my post I read a thread about this type of mounting... Its also cool that some people are using clips and such.... I like these ideas, and they are very good alternatives to holes in a headliner for someone with a leased car.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
FollowingNFront said:
That's cool. After my post I read a thread about this type of mounting... Its also cool that some people are using clips and such.... I like these ideas, and they are very good alternatives to holes in a headliner for someone with a leased car.

It's definitely a very good alternative. I know in my car even the small St. Florian pin I have leaves a small noticeable hole, so I could only imagine what a coat hanger would leave. If using it just make sure you have enough wire to put over the headliner that will hold the light very securely.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Rear looks good. Are they synced? Red/blue or blue/amber?? It's hard to tell in the video.

Front video is saying "private".

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Storm4200 said:
Rear looks good. Are they synced? Red/blue or blue/amber?? It's hard to tell in the video.

Front video is saying "private".

The rear is synced blue/amber, I was a little disappointed by the options for slower sync patterns for the lights. They had several faster patterns and most with even less off time than this pattern. Fixed the first video as well.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
The rear pattern is perfect as is.

For the front, it doesn't look bad, but I would maybe look into a 10-75 bracket to mount those intersection TIR3s on.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Looking for a little input, I'm looking to move the TIR3s on the front bumper to an license plate intersection mount. What would be the best kind of mount, and would the TIR3s suffice or should I look to get something different for that?

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
10-75 is the name of the bracket. And the TIR3s will be fine there. best case scenario, try and trade them for a pair that has vertical optics. Either way, they're going to be more effective mounted to that bracket as opposed to where they are now.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
That's what I'm going to do now then, as I said I'm going to be getting fog lights put in so need to free up those spaces. Now the next question that I've been tossing around is do I put something in the side rear doors for additional side warning and if so what.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Made a small change to the front of the car, moved the two Tir3s that were on the front bumper fog light inserts and mounted them to a 10-75 bracket. The nice thing is the light reflects off of the bumper throwing a little more light to the front.

20130626_153323.jpg

20130626_153341.jpg

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
movi3king said:
How did you make that Antenna for that handheld to be like a mobile?
Or am i seeing things?

It's a multi-band trunk mount antenna, with a BNC connector, ran the wire under all the trim and under the carpet. The scanner is now mounted in the center console and the antenna runs under and through that.

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
Looks good. I wouldn't trust the 2 screws for the plate to hold that bracket on by themselves, since all they are screwed into is foam and a millimeter of plastic. I took 2 zip ties and attached the bottom holes of the bracket to the lower grille just in case. You wouldn't know they were there unless I told you.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
bfd740 said:
Looks good. I wouldn't trust the 2 screws for the plate to hold that bracket on by themselves, since all they are screwed into is foam and a millimeter of plastic. I took 2 zip ties and attached the bottom holes of the bracket to the lower grille just in case. You wouldn't know they were there unless I told you.

Unfortunately the way the front is set up it would be very difficult to use zipties. I used the two regular screws that were originally holding the license plate on and used two screws that came with the bracket just to mount the plate to it.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Adding a few things to the car then going to be finished with the car. First up is a pair of Whelen Ions, mounted on the rear passenger doors facing out(obviously). The lights were mounted Monday, wiring has not been completed yet as it started pouring and then I was out all day yesterday. Pictures of the lights being mounted below. The second addition is a Fed Sig T/A bar, to be added yet as it will require removing the rear deck, pictures will be added once that is complete and a video of everything will be added once the project is complete.

20130722_154530.jpg

20130722_154518.jpg

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
TA gonna Go on the rear deck with the other lights? May I suggest mounting it to the rear headliner instead, to give the lights some separation...

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Storm4200 said:
TA gonna Go on the rear deck with the other lights? May I suggest mounting it to the rear headliner instead, to give the lights some separation...

The TA will be going on the rear deck mounted above the other lights. Unfortunately with the design of the rear of the car mounting it up in the head liner will block a better part of the view out the rear window. I'll post a picture of it sitting there to show how it would look.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Completely finished mounting/wiring all the new lights. Whelen Ions on rear passenger doors(not synched but on same pattern), Fed Sig Cuda 33" bar mounted on rear deck over the Feniex Cobra 2x. Photos of everything completed(including Fed Sig control box in center console). I will upload videos a little later.

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Video of the traffic bar by itself, with the Feniex Cobras on, then by itself again just showing some comparison. I know it would have been much better to mount one or the other up top and one on the deck but unfortunately with the design of the rear of the car if I mounted either up top in the headliner it would have drastically reduced the visibility out of my rearview mirror.(Didn't bother cycling through the traffic bar patterns because a. we all know what they look like and b. I was by myself.)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KI_CopCar

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.