2011 Jeep Wrangler POV (NEW VIDEO POSTED 1/31/13)

movi3king

Jun 29, 2012
New York
Hey guys. This is my POV install on my 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport. I will try to update the thread as i add in more lights...

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Old school jeep lighting, lol... And yes, slow the pattern down, during the day it may look good but the white overwhelms the red at night.

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
Very cool, seems to work well, but yeah, I gotta echo everyone else and say the pattern is just too fast. Slow it down and use something that's more noticeably alternating.

spc2315

Mar 27, 2011
Connecticut
great for mounting the lights there...not a huge fan of the white, i wouldve done both as red, mount some ions to the front bumper and ad a headlight flasher and your good for the front! to the rear, hideway leds in the tail light and reverse light and mount some ions to the rear corners of the back. This way it keeps all your light heads to the exterior of the vehicle and you dont have to worry about flash back or especially in the case of a soft top you wont have to worry much about moving the lightheads when you take the top down/off

movi3king

Jun 29, 2012
New York
firemedic10584 said:
I like it. My only advice would be to slow the flash patterns down.

I would like to slow the pattern down, i just have to place each in phase 2

sync and then change it because right now I tried to change the pattern and it is only doing it on one light instead of both... regardless being in New York Ive realized that the only way people actually start to move is with a crazy flash pattern like the one that is selected now.

RescueWV said:
Very cool, seems to work well, but yeah, I gotta echo everyone else and say the pattern is just too fast. Slow it down and use something that's more noticeably alternating.

Thanks appreciate the compliments.

911 said:
looks great, makes me want to go out and get a jeep !!! ( im serious )

Thanks appreciate the compliments. Nothing like a Jeep :)

11b101abn said:
I keep seeing this constant theme: red on one side and white on the other. Why?

Im not quiet sure why I chose to do it this way but for some reason this is the color scheme many seem to go with out here.

Bonanno said:
Looks good, just slow the pattern down.

Thanks appreciate the compliments.

Camerin said:
Great original idea!

Thanks appreciate the compliments. It really looks amazing in person.

spc2315 said:
great for mounting the lights there...not a huge fan of the white, i wouldve done both as red, mount some ions to the front bumper and ad a headlight flasher and your good for the front! to the rear, hideway leds in the tail light and reverse light and mount some ions to the rear corners of the back. This way it keeps all your light heads to the exterior of the vehicle and you dont have to worry about flash back or especially in the case of a soft top you wont have to worry much about moving the lightheads when you take the top down/off

Thanks appreciate the compliments. As I've said before the white is just what many are doing around my area and it seems to work well. As far as adding additional lighting I'm far from done... more surprises to come :) just need some time to design some custom made brackets...

Flashguy said:
I like! Add a HLF and call it a day for the front. Nice and original! :thumbsup:

Thanks appreciate the compliments. I'm not sure! Hat HLF stands for. Can you explain please? I am interested in all ideas.

THANK YOU FOR ALL THAT HAVE SHARED THEIR COMPLIMENTS AND CRITICISM. I TAKE A LITTLE BIT FROM WHAT EVERYONE SAYS AND TRY TO LEARN, SO PLEASE KEEP THOSE COMMENTS COMING :)

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
HLF = headlight flasher. (Wig Wag) Best warning for the money. Keep the pics and videos coming!

Also, IF you decide to put in grill lights...make sure they have optics for Vertical mounting. I've seen some mount horizontal optics lights in a jeep grill and you lose all off-axis.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
11b101abn said:

To treat white as a legitimate color I guess, and not just a second-rate attention getter? I don't mind it when the red is on the left like that.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
I wouldn't mind that flash pattern as much if it was only activated in drive. I'd set up the SmartSiren so that when you park, put it in Mode 2 to change the pattern to a slower alternating one.

movi3king

Jun 29, 2012
New York
Flashguy said:
HLF = headlight flasher. (Wig Wag) Best warning for the money. Keep the pics and videos coming!

Also, IF you decide to put in grill lights...make sure they have optics for Vertical mounting. I've seen some mount horizontal optics lights in a jeep grill and you lose all off-axis.

Thanks for the tips.

Any idea how wigwags work with the wrangler? Because 1 bulb does both low and high beam...

Also is there a possibility of puttting wigwags in the fog lights?

Thanks

Eric1249 said:
I like it. I would have gone all red. I agree that the pattern is too fast. Can you hook them into an external flasher?

What do you mean by external flash pattern?

And I will work on the flash pattern.

nerdly_dood said:
To treat white as a legitimate color I guess, and not just a second-rate attention getter? I don't mind it when the red is on the left like that.

Ye I wanted the red on the drivers side...

philyumpshus said:
I wouldn't mind that flash pattern as much if it was only activated in drive. I'd set up the SmartSiren so that when you park, put it in Mode 2 to change the pattern to a slower alternating one.

How can the smart siren and lights be set up to control the same light with 2 different flash patterns?

I'm very interested in this idea.

Thanks.

emt.micah said:
As Jeeps go, I'd never tie up that spot with e-lights. Small lights under primary off road lights, sure. Put some Hella 500s up there and get a dash light and grills.

The link to my JK post is in my signature.

I have hellas as my primary headlights running 85/80 Watt bulbs.... I don't need more light at the moment.... if I did I would go with the products made by rigid industries.

NFD-102 said:
I think the split red/white heads would have been better. Or the ones that do both fog lights and warning lights.

Ye I thought about that after I purchased these already... I had a hard time finding them at a decent price online...

Thanks thou.

hitman38367 said:
I concur with this idea. What you have there and a HLF would be all the warning you really need due to how bright those PAR36s are. Nice job.

These are incredibly bright compared to others I've scene.

Thanks for the compliment.

eng18ine

Jul 27, 2012
stony point, new york
11b101abn said:

its supposed to be that way. the reason being, if your traveling in normal one lane traffic. the oncomming lane will see red lights flashing, not just white.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
How irritatating is the flashing out the extended lenses from the drivers seat? The "A" pillar might block the one onn the left, but I doubt the one on the right.

movi3king

Jun 29, 2012
New York
emt.micah said:
I have a SoS HLF in my 08 Wrangler. Works great. It was the first light I installed years ago. Even though it's a single bulb like you mentioned, there are no problems. Big PITA to install though. Pretty hard to get into the headlight harness. But well worth the hassle.

I think I'm gana go ahead and order one. Any specific one you recommend?

I have no problem getting to the harness. I installed hellas and it wasn't the easiest but I'll get it done.

Any specific one you recommend?

eng18ine said:
its supposed to be that way. the reason being, if your traveling in normal one lane traffic. the oncomming lane will see red lights flashing, not just white.

My reasoning for red on drivers side as oppose to the passangers side is more for it shining in a drivers mirror infront of me as well as the oncoming traffic. Believe me these lights are so bright that they move...

WS224 said:
How irritatating is the flashing out the extended lenses from the drivers seat? The "A" pillar might block the one onn the left, but I doubt the one on the right.

Its really not too bad. I do see the light flashing but very minimally.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
movi3king said:
Its really not too bad. I do see the light flashing but very minimally.

Thanks. Might give it a try one of these days.

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
For just two lights, that's a very effective setup.

I've become a huge fan of running my LEDs off an external flasher. It makes it a lot easier to change the patterns of multiple lights and you gain a lot of control. With a ULF-44, you can have a rapid, attention getting pattern for response, and a slower pattern once the vehicle is stopped. You can use multiple ULF's to control banks of heads and still keep everything synchronyzed. Depending on the lightheads you use, you can put the lights in low power mode for those times you don't need full brightness. (I'm fairly sure your PAR's would take low power, the M-Series doesn't unless you buy the "dumb" version of the lights.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
John Hearne said:

I've become a huge fan of running my LEDs off an external flasher. It makes it a lot easier to change the patterns of multiple lights and you gain a lot of control. With a ULF-44, you can have a rapid, attention getting pattern for response, and a slower pattern once the vehicle is stopped. You can use multiple ULF's to control banks of heads and still keep everything synchronyzed. Depending on the lightheads you use, you can put the lights in low power mode for those times you don't need full brightness. (I'm fairly sure your PAR's would take low power, the M-Series doesn't unless you buy the "dumb" version of the lights.

I agree. I run all my leds to a flasher. It makes it much easier to change patterns and to sync them. I encourage all the my friends on the dept to do that. One guy didn't do it and now he wants to sync and change the patterns. Would be a lot easier if they were all on a flasher

movi3king

Jun 29, 2012
New York
John Hearne said:

thanks for the compliment. Is a ulf-44 a type of flasher? If not can you recommend one for me? Thanks.

I don't know if this makes any difference but these lights are connected to a smart siren so I'm not sure how that connection would go...

Eric1249 said:
I agree. I run all my leds to a flasher. It makes it much easier to change patterns and to sync them. I encourage all the my friends on the dept to do that. One guy didn't do it and now he wants to sync and change the patterns. Would be a lot easier if they were all on a flasher

I would love to entertain the idea of a flasher. Any specific units you would recommend?

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
movi3king said:
thanks for the compliment. Is a ulf-44 a type of flasher? If not can you recommend one for me? Thanks.

I don't know if this makes any difference but these lights are connected to a smart siren so I'm not sure how that connection would go...

I would love to entertain the idea of a flasher. Any specific units you would recommend?

UlF-44 is an LED flasher manufactured by Whelen. You would cycle the patterns on your PAR's to steady burn and then wire the hot wires into the leads on the flasher. Should be able to get one for around $50 - $60.

http://www.whelen.com/install/141/14103.pdf

Here's a thought and something that I would do, as I have a black Jeep also, but you may not care - take the lights off and paint the chrome hardware black. It wouldn't stick out as bad in front of the black paint. You could touch up the threads and nuts if needed after re-installing. Maybe it's just my OCD!

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I have the Whelen flasher running the lights in the rear other then the tailights. All my other lights run off a Sound Off flasher. Both have their pros and cons. If you look somewhere you can find all the Whelen and SOS flash patterns online. See which one has more patterns that you like better.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Looks good. I generally prefer a slower pattern to the rear, but that one isn't terrible.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
I love that rear bar. May I suggest alternating the red and blue sides against each other so you don't get a purple blob from a distance? Other wise looks great so far!

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Storm4200 said:
I love that rear bar. May I suggest alternating the red and blue sides against each other so you don't get a purple blob from a distance? Other wise looks great so far!

I agree. That pattern would be good if it was a solid color. (I used to use that pattern on a solid color) I would say all red then all blue.

movi3king

Jun 29, 2012
New York
acala91 said:
Looks good. I generally prefer a slower pattern to the rear, but that one isn't terrible.

I will try out other paterns.

but tthis one caught my eye for some reason.

Storm4200 said:

I wwill definitely give it a try. I personally saw this pattern and liked it although I will look at it from a distance and see if it really looks purple. I may slow it down as well....

Eric1249 said:
I agree. That pattern would be good if it was a solid color. (I used to use that pattern on a solid color) I would say all red then all blue.

will definitely give it a try. Have the light wired to a momentary switch which makes it really easy to try other patterns.

emsfirepolice said:
Nice! What year Jeep is that? May be add like a few lights in the grill area.

2011 2 door sport. Grill lights are in the plans... one step at a time though. :)

----------

Thank you all for your comments, much appreciated!

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
movi3king said:
2011 2 door sport. Grill lights are in the plans... one step at a time though. :)

----------

Thank you all for your comments, much appreciated!

the new Whelen M2s might fit behind that grill nicely.....

Dkellam

Jan 18, 2013
Virginia, USA
movi3king said:
Thanks for the tips.
Any idea how wigwags work with the wrangler? Because 1 bulb does both low and high beam...

Also is there a possibility of puttting wigwags in the fog lights?

Ye I thought about that after I purchased these already... I had a hard time finding them at a decent price online...

First I want to say, The lights look great on the Jeep! I actually saw your post on WF. I've been trying to figure out where I wanted to mount new lights for a few weeks now because my lightbar just died. (an excuse to get new lights :) ) I saw your thread on WF and am very interested in how you installed everything.

I was thinking of doing the Whelen Interleaved super LED with red on top and white on the bottom, with the white "driving mode override". Was it just the price that made you dedcide against doing the split colors on eeither side? I'm thinking of doing all red due to the fact that I can't find the splits for under $145 a piece.

Thanks for posting this!!

:D

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Advancedstreet

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.