2011 Ram 2500 POV

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
I still have a few pieces to add but here is the 90% solution.

Siren: Storm x2

Controller: 4200

Radio(s): Motorola CDM 1550 VHF

Motorola XTS 5000 800Mhz in Vehicle Charger

FRONT WARNING:

Speaker: Whelen sa314 x2 on push bumper

Grill Lights: Feniex DBL T6s

Corner Light: Cannon, Clear

Dash: Apollo 2

SIDE WARNING:

Intersection: T6 each side of push bumper

Sides: Cobra 200 each side

REAR WARNING:

Rear Glass: Cobra 600, Red

Taillights: Cannon, Red

Back-up: Cannon, Clear

In the Works:

Whelen HLF (on order)

T6, Clear – Mounted on mirrors

T6, Amber – License Plate Mount

Everything is mounted under the rear seat on a ¾” piece of OSB. The sirens and 4200 are on the passenger side and the radio and circuit breakers/fuse panel in on the right. Also since taking these pics I have added a shoreline connection to the right of the rear license plate which provides power to a battery charger/inverter, intake heater, and space heater to keep my IV fluids from freezing.

The Bed Slide is 200lb rated 6.5 ft version with the organizer made of ¾” plywood and all weather carpet. Beats the crap out of several thousand dollars for Odyssey auto to do the same thing… There are hand sewn (machine) netting being made from black 9' straps to keep items in their appropriate cubby) The SCBA cradles are for my SCUBA tanks.

In retrospect I really wish I had gone with dummy heads controlled with UFL-44s. It is BS that only 4 lightheads at a time can be syncd without them all going crazy – this is an issue that Feniex needs to work on. Also some of the T6s wont work with older T6s causing them all to work themselves out of sync. Other than that the lights are very bright (the vids don’t do the light output justice).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hawkspringsfire

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Looks good so far. Thumbs up for not splitting the double t6's on the front. Gives a better foot print. How do you like the 4200? I am debating one. Make sure you throw some videos up once you add the rest of the lights.

All my Feniex lights on a ULF44. Makes changing patterns easier as well.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Very well done. I really like the slide-out. It's a bummer when vehicles look great on the outside, but the cargo area is random mess.

The sync doesn't bother me at all. If I were to make a suggestion, it would be more side lighting... but please don't use rocker panels. Maybe mirror intersectors?

ETA: The rear Cobra modules appears brighter than the sides. Different level of tint? Different generations of lights? Or is it just a video illusion?

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
MtnMan said:
Very well done. I really like the slide-out. It's a bummer when vehicles look great on the outside, but the cargo area is random mess.

The sync doesn't bother me at all. If I were to make a suggestion, it would be more side lighting... but please don't use rocker panels. Maybe mirror intersectors?

ETA: The rear Cobra modules appears brighter than the sides. Different level of tint? Different generations of lights? Or is it just a video illusion?

I am probably gonna change out the 200's for a pair of 400s for the camper windows and there will be a pair of T6's added to the mirror arms unless Feniex gets off their ass with the Apollo exterior version.

As for the light output, its an optical illusion and a shitty Iphone camera to boot.

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Eric1249 said:
Looks good so far. Thumbs up for not splitting the double t6's on the front. Gives a better foot print. How do you like the 4200? I am debating one. Make sure you throw some videos up once you add the rest of the lights....

The last 4 are videos, they just look like pics.

I love the 4200. Its easy to wire, has a ton of options and makes for a clean install. As for splitting the DBLs, I had an issue for a while with the DBLs being linked to the cannons causing them to drop sync but Kent and I worked it out - I hate the look of splitting lights.

Thanks.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
That is a bada$$ truck!...It's better-equipped than many Batt. Chief trucks!

I appreciate the large footprint of the double-stacked T6s, but I've never been a fan of how they look (I prefer the look of a single, larger lighthead such as a M-series or Quadraflare). Other than that, looks great from the tiny res video that I tried to watch ;-)

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
pdk9 said:
That is a bada$$ truck!...It's better-equipped than many Batt. Chief trucks!

I appreciate the large footprint of the double-stacked T6s, but I've never been a fan of how they look (I prefer the look of a single, larger lighthead such as a M-series or Quadraflare). Other than that, looks great from the tiny res video that I tried to watch ;-)

See, I am not so much a fan of the M-series on POVs. Lol

Sorry about the vids. I can post the photobucket links if that would help.

firefighter7017 said:
Jesus, that's a POV? What do you do for a full time job? Great looking truck.

I am an Army SF soldier.

Got the idea for the slide after having an issue getting into the truck bed quickly with my prosthetic leg one day. I am not letting it slow me down much and respond to a good many ALS calls.

Thanks for all the compliments.

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
Surgicalcric said:
I am an Army SF soldier.

Got the idea for the slide after having an issue getting into the truck bed quickly with my prosthetic leg one day. I am not letting it slow me down much and respond to a good many ALS calls.

Thank you for your service. The sacrifices you have made for our country simply can not be measured, and there is no way we will ever be able to repay you.

Do you use the slide out for anything other than you're ALS equipment?

Nov 7, 2011
New England
firefighter7017 said:
Thank you for your service. The sacrifices you have made for our country simply can not be measured, and there is no way we will ever be able to repay you.

I second this 110%

I also agree with the consensus her that you have a great looking setup! I'm impressed with your equipment mounting solutions and it shows that you've put a lot of time and thought into this setup.

Stay safe out there bro

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
firefighter7017 said:

Do you use the slide out for anything other than you're ALS equipment?

Cherish your freedoms - it's all any of us want.

My EMS and FD bunker gear, jump bag, O2 bag, LP-15,and some rope/hauling system equipment and my dive gear with (3) spare 80s eventually finding its way into the slide/shelving system.

Also in designing the shelving system I designed it so it could be quickly removed - it's only held in place with 5 carriage bolts/nuts.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Surgicalcric said:
Cherish your freedoms - it's all any of us want.

My EMS and FD bunker gear, jump bag, O2 bag, LP-15,and some rope/hauling system equipment and my dive gear with (3) spare 80s eventually finding its way into the slide/shelving system.

Also in designing the shelving system I designed it so it could be quickly removed - it's only held in place with 5 carriage bolts/nuts.

Thank you for your service & sacrifices.

That's awesome you have a takehome LP...are you a paid-per-call FF/medic or volunteer only? Geez, between that beautiful ram truck, all the goodies to be added, & the LP, you need more than a car alarm...a claymore or 2 should be fine

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
pdk9 said:
Thank you for your service & sacrifices.

That's awesome you have a takehome LP...are you a paid-per-call FF/medic or volunteer only? Geez, between that beautiful ram truck, all the goodies to be added, & the LP, you need more than a car alarm...a claymore or 2 should be fine

Too funny...

I am a vol FF/medic for one agency and I was recently hired as the EMS Spec Ops (EMS Director's verbiage not mine - I think it sounds silly) Coordinator who has training and operational oversight of the tactical, HAZMAT/WMD/CBRN, tech rescue, and water/dive rescue for a county EMS agency. I also serve as the anti-terrorism chief for the Emer Prep Dept in the same county. I was a vol medic in the same county in the 90s when it was an all volunteer system. I will be getting a take home vehicle (Tahoe hopefully) as soon as county council passes the new budget.

The Ram sits in the garage at night and the camper shell is locked during day.

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Anyone seen or had a HLF wired up to a set of LED tail lights?

I have a set of aftermarket LED tail lights that are hella-bright and am thinking of changing them out and moving the red cannons to the front corners IF flashing the tails in a double wigwag type pattern is possible.

I don't like typical TLFs that alternate the tails and backup lights so that one is NO-GO from the start.

Thanks...

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Surgicalcric said:

I have a set of aftermarket LED tail lights that are hella-bright and am thinking of changing them out and moving the red cannons to the front corners IF flashing the tails in a double wigwag type pattern is possible.

I don't like typical TLFs that alternate the tails and backup lights so that one is NO-GO from the start.

Thanks...

Have you seen the Sho Me LED STT flasher?

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
MEVS06 said:
Have you seen the Sho Me LED STT flasher?

No I haven't...

I could only find a couple vids on YouTube, none with a full size truck flashing LED tails. What is the consensus on these flashers? Crap? Good to go?

Thank you...

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
Surgicalcric said:

Thanks...
My only concern with this idea is in my experience aftermarket LED tailllights have been less then durable in normal operation. A TLF might cause problems with them.

Eric223

Sep 23, 2011
USA NY/NJ/VA
Surgicalcric said:
See, I am not so much a fan of the M-series on POVs. Lol

Sorry about the vids. I can post the photobucket links if that would help.

I am an Army SF soldier.

Who makes/what model is that tablet mount inside the cab?

Also, on an unrelated note...I wasn't aware of an SF groups out of SC...what group are you with?

Ren12

Jun 13, 2012
SE Pennsylvania
You've got a good looking truck for sure, I'm definitely a fan. The only thing that I would do if it were my truck would be to move that dash light up higher off the dash and to the headliner area. It doesn't sound that significant, but in my opinion it would make the setup 10x more effective.

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Eric223 said:
Who makes/what model is that tablet mount inside the cab?

Amazon.com: Padholdr Ram Series Spring Loaded Holder for 2008 - 2014 Dodge Vehicles: Car Electronics

I like the holder but if you dont have the tablet wedged against the dash it shakes a lil bit (just an FYI). I would buy it again just something to be aware of.

Also, on an unrelated note...I wasn't aware of an SF groups out of SC...what group are you with?

20th SFG(A) now (Birmingham, AL) but was with 7th SFG(A) for a while at Eglin AFB, FL. I am on extended orders keeping me at home as I heal and return to (part time) civilian life.

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Ren12 said:
You've got a good looking truck for sure, I'm definitely a fan. The only thing that I would do if it were my truck would be to move that dash light up higher off the dash and to the headliner area. It doesn't sound that significant, but in my opinion it would make the setup 10x more effective.

Thx for the compliment.

I was thinking the same thing just a couple days ago but A) I dont like the obstructed view with it up there and B) I am planning on putting the new Apollo ILB up there when I can get one I dont want to go moving wiring only to take it down in a month or so.

RamCumminsFF

Dec 16, 2012
Upstate New York
First of all, thank you for your service to our country! I can not thank you enough. Second, what an awesome setup on a great truck! I love the bed setup, Wish I could do that, but I need the bed open since I tow gooseneck trailers, so as a result my scuba gear sits at the firehouse, since the turnout gear and ems gear takes up the backseat! What brand and where did you get your push bumper, and how much did it run you? I've been looking for one without headlight grills that fits the dodge ram 2500. Great set up though, looks like alot of thought, time and planning went into your set up!

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
First, thank you for your service and sacrifice protecting our freedoms.

Now then, how about adding some surface mount cannons or something to the rear and rear corners of the slide bed? Kind of the way out riggers and compartment doors have lighting. Maybe even some under bed clear scene/puddle lighting.

AS for the after market LED tail lights, make sure you choose carefully. Very few aftermarket headlight and tail light systems are as effective as OE, nor are many DOT or SAE approved. Look for a wig wag style brake light flasher.

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
You guys are welcome

RamCumminsFF said:
First of all, thank you for your service to our country! I can not thank you enough. Second, what an awesome setup on a great truck! I love the bed setup, Wish I could do that, but I need the bed open since I tow gooseneck trailers, so as a result my scuba gear sits at the firehouse, since the turnout gear and ems gear takes up the backseat! What brand and where did you get your push bumper, and how much did it run you? I've been looking for one without headlight grills that fits the dodge ram 2500. Great set up though, looks like alot of thought, time and planning went into your set up!

The push bumper/grill guard is made by Ranch Hand (Push Bars - Quality Ranch Hand Product) and I got it off ebay NIB for $210.00 + shipping; it was considered blemished since it has a small dent in the cross-member that the speakers and DBL T6s are mounted to. I am so glad that I jumped on it when I saw it - it made mounting the lights and speakers much simpler from a design perspective. It also allowed me to add the DBL T6s instead of splitting them up and using single T6s in 4 locations or mounting 2 Cobra 200s on either side of the grill.

The bedslide is thru-bolted with the nuts tac welded to the underside so the slide can easily be removed and remounted with [relative] ease. Prior to mounting the bedslide and camper shell I had a soft tonneau cover on the bed which is where I kept my gear less the drug bag and LP12/15. However I quickly found that invariably whatever piece of gear or kit it was I needed was slid to the cab end of the bed by the time I got to the scene. Even though I am fairly nimble for a knee disartic climbing into and out of the bed constantly was just a PITA. The best decision I made with regards to this truck.

HILO said:
First, thank you for your service and sacrifice protecting our freedoms.

Now then, how about adding some surface mount cannons or something to the rear and rear corners of the slide bed? Kind of the way out riggers and compartment doors have lighting. Maybe even some under bed clear scene/puddle lighting.

AS for the after market LED tail lights, make sure you choose carefully. Very few aftermarket headlight and tail light systems are as effective as OE, nor are many DOT or SAE approved. Look for a wig wag style brake light flasher.

I gave a lil thought to adding some lighting but that will be down the road if I go that route. My plan was to mount a SOS mirror style Intersection light at a 45* angle under the two rear corners of the slide so there is both rear and side warning at the same time. Power to them would be gated through a normally open micro switch that would close once the slide was open past the tail gate thus allowing them to only be activated when the slide was out. However, I dont leave the slide out if I am on the roadway so I am not too concerned with it at this time. As for puddle/scene lighting, I was looking into some clear strip lighting like the young kids were putting under their cars for a while. I will eventually get back to working on my truck and get an ILB and puddle lighting installed, maybe...

As much as I would like to change out the tail light cannons for a STT flasher and LED lights I think I am going to keep things as is, in that area, for now.

Thanks for the advice everyone and for the kind words about my truck.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
There is a member on my Dept that has a new Dodge truck and he has LED tails. He has a flasher hooked into them. It is not impressive. Your Cannons are far more effective. Put your Cannons on a single flash and flash both clear then both red.

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
Have you or your agency given any thought to the tactical / LE medical thing? A person w/ your background is a hot commodity in that field, especially w/ you being a high order trigger puller.

Great gear, and install as well.

11B

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
11b101abn said:
Have you or your agency given any thought to the tactical / LE medical thing? A person w/ your background is a hot commodity in that field, especially w/ you being a high order trigger puller.

Great gear, and install as well.

11B

Oh yeah. I am currently writing the policy on TAC Med personnel selection, training, and usage as well as writing the active shooter combined response policy. I do a good bit of training with the SORT guys both on the medical side of the house as well as the shooting side of things. A few of them were resistant at first, becuase they were oblivious to an SF medic being a shooter first and medic second, but after realizing things arent always as they perceive them to be they started listening.

Operationally, as close as I get to the stack now is the warm zone...

Thx for the kind words...

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
6 gauge, 120 amp circuit breaker under hood to an ATO fuse block where the 4200, 2 Storms, and a few accessories are fused. The 4200 is fused at 60 amp and an 8 gauge cable runs 3' to provide +12v.

The same size ground is run from the battery to a terminal post with grounds collected at one location.

I am in the process of totally rewiring my truck and making some very significant changes! but I hope this helped.

Crip

Reactions: fireman55555

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
In hard loom from engine compartment down space between firewall and fender to underside of the truck then along the frame to the backseat area where there are factory installed hard plastic punchouts that enter into the storage areas under the back seat. Used a holesaw to drill into the punchouts then added a rubber grommet through which I ran all the cables/wires in.

Cabling from the rear was run in a similar flashing and through the same hole. Afterwards the grommet gaps were sealed with silicone to prevent seepage of water.

All loom was attached directly to the frame as high as possible and along side other vehicle specific wiring. There is a 1" diameter piece of loom run to the tail and one run into the engine compartment where it is subdivided into smaller looms and continued to its points of termination at: the battery, speakers, grill lights, intersections and conversely in the rear it's the tail light housings, rear stick, side lights, and interior/bed lighting.

Hope that covers it.

mvfd474

Jan 3, 2012
Milton, WV
I noticed on your photobucket albums the photo of your controller you had a Q-siren button are you actually running a Q? if so do you have the Dual Alternators and what size are there any issues when you do run the Q

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeystoneDiesel

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.