2012 XLT Explorer 11/4/11

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
I wasn't happy with the Pegasus so going to stick with the original setup until I come up with a better solution.

Front:

2 RB Fed Sig Dual Viper S2

1 R Feniex T4

1 B Feniex T4

2 RW SOS HAW LEDs

2 BW SOS HAW LEDs with Ford color matched (a shade or two off being on plastic not metal) painted bezels

Side:

1 R and 1 B Impaxx on dual bracket rear side window

Rear:

2 Dual Viper S2 RB

2 White Vertex in reverse

2 Red Vertex in turn signal

ES100 Speaker

Omega 90 Siren

4 toggles

1 Black Phantom Elite UHF lip mounted hood

TK880 UHF radio in console

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZLFjSJcq_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxi7XNhHgTY

ai268.photobucket.com_albums_jj10_Jackal_v01_Truck_IMAG0338.jpg

ai268.photobucket.com_albums_jj10_Jackal_v01_Truck_IMAG0334.jpg

ai268.photobucket.com_albums_jj10_Jackal_v01_Truck_IMAG0352.jpg

ai268.photobucket.com_albums_jj10_Jackal_v01_Truck_IMAG0350.jpg

ai268.photobucket.com_albums_jj10_Jackal_v01_Truck_IMAG0349.jpg

ai268.photobucket.com_albums_jj10_Jackal_v01_Truck_IMAG0336.jpg

ai268.photobucket.com_albums_jj10_Jackal_v01_Truck_IMAG0361.jpg

ai268.photobucket.com_albums_jj10_Jackal_v01_Truck_IMAG0371.jpg

ai268.photobucket.com_albums_jj10_Jackal_v01_Truck_IMAG0370.jpg

ai268.photobucket.com_albums_jj10_Jackal_v01_Truck_IMAG0362.jpg

ai268.photobucket.com_albums_jj10_Jackal_v01_Truck_IMAG0388.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
Don't do the split. Splits looks like crap, and work 50% as effectively. The rest looks good. Consider a Feniex Pegasus for the windshield though.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
I have had nothing but good things with the Vipers and all the other lights. Why not split? The red and blue do not flash simultaneously. Actually none of the lights do. Red on, red off, blue on, blue off, white one, white off, etc, etc.

Edit: What lights are you referring to as split?

108FP1

Sep 17, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
Split-lens LED's. Best seen on 4-LED lights where two are blue and two are red. When dealing with it in a HAW package, it's even worse. Yes, you technically have the power of, let's say 8 LEDs. Now, make that a split, and you will only have 4 LEDs worth of lighting candlepower at a time, which effectively halves the power of your lighting.

One really cool way to accomplish what you are planning is to place a white and a red or blue LAW in the same housing, and alternate them. I plan on doing this in my Ranger's headlights with blue and amber.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
With the SOS LEDs, they will be synced to have red on one side, white on the other then blue on the one side and white on the other. I have seen it in person and it is great. ie: 6 LEDs of each color on each side will be on. Not just blinding white all at once then a blob of Red and Blue all at once. Red white then blue white. Should be perfect. :)

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
I would install some rear license plate leds. You could also install some tir style lights in the lower slat of the grill because the upper slats are too narrow for lights to go in between. In my vehicle, the siren speaker is centered behind the lower grill under the license plate. It is a little angled towards the ground. It also seemed to bow the lower grill out slightly though, it doesn't look bad....the speaker is a Soundoff 100d.

Are you purchasing the Vipers or do you already have them? If purchasing, I would go with two Tomar 200s in high power or a full interior bar. More bang for your buck, imo.

For the front, you can surface mount 4 Feniex Pythons in solid colors for a larger warning footprint. You could also use Tomar rect14's. You would be able to mount them without damaging your grill like you would be with the 4 laws. I think the warning output would be much more effective as well.

You could also install a headlight flasher with the fog lights. I think they would be more effective than the headlights, from the videos I have seen with the headlights...

Lastly, for the sides I would mount 2 Ghosts, or low profile 6 diode lights under the luggage rack. You would increase your warning output by not having the light mounted behind the tinted windows.

It would be really sweet to install four Soundoff Intersectors (2 front/2 rear) under the luggage rack or immediatley in front and back of the rack...if budget permits. This would be highly effective in providing 360 degree coverage while maintaining a low profile. Or install 2 under the side mirrors and 2 under the outside portion under the rear spoiler. This would not only provide rear warning at all angles, but also provide side coverage...you could sync the two rear intersectors with the two license plate leds...

Last edited by a moderator:

May 22, 2010
New York City
klein, sounds good ! i wouldnt worry about the split leds........ they will do fine........ some people dont like it,but i seen your work in the past, you know what you are doing.......

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
Thanks, fellas. I had everything except what I bought yesterday which was the SOS LEDs, red Impaxx and brackets for the Impaxx and Vipers. Right now that is pretty much all I can afford which is still quite a bit. I am hoping the grille will be plenty bright with the 4 HAWs in there. The sides are really my only concern. I considered Ghosts under the front portion of the luggage rack. I will see how it turns out before I invest more money into it. The rear should...should be good with the dual vipers and 4 Vertexes. On the 2007 I only had the Vertexes and Ultralite 8 and it was perfect. Yea the Ultralite had a wider footprint but I think the Vipers will compensate that for their brightness. If I do the HLF on the fogs will I lose their factory functionality? I want to use them still. Right now I would just add two Ghosts to the grille and one under the luggage rack on each side.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
cbpdogboy said:
Are you purchasing the Vipers or do you already have them? If purchasing, I would go with two Tomar 200s in high power or a full interior bar. More bang for your buck.

He tried to use his SOS Pinnacle but it did not fit just right so now he is going to use the two vipers I traded him for his pinnacle.

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
Here is what the fog lights would look like with a hlf. Also, leds in the side window, I would have used a solid pattern though. The mirror lights look angled to me...

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
I like the Ghosts in the side windows but I need the lights up high. The fogs are cool but not so effective being that low. Not a bad setup.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
"Members dont let members split lights" should be the site slogan..lol

If you want to hold out for a 2013 Police Interceptor Utility, I know someone who can order one for you to your specs.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
FireEMSPolice said:

If you want to hold out for a 2013 Police Interceptor Utility, I know someone who can order one for you to your specs.

The pictures of the silver explorer is the one he bought. I have seen it in person and its freaking nice!!!

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
MEVS06 said:
The pictures of the silver explorer is the one he bought. I have seen it in person and its freaking nice!!!
Thanks for the compliment, Joe!!

FireEMSPolice said:

I have already taken delivery of the 2012...

Klein said:
I sold my 07 and picked the 2012 last Friday

And I agree with the split comment. It looks like crap but only when it is like TLED4s or LINZ6s, etc that are bicolor and only flash 2 or 3 LEDs. Not my case. It will look good. I know what I'm doing! w00t

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
FireEMSPolice said:

I like that one man...put my name down on the petition!! lol

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
Klein said:
I mean, Ill take one too. I just enjoy this one. Why not two?!?!

I was talking about the split light quote! lol

We just received our 2011 Explorers, so we will have to compare our notes on light placement...this vehicle has very little available exterior space to mount lights...imo

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
cbpdogboy said:
I was talking about the split light quote! lol

We just received our 2011 Explorers, so we will have to compare our notes on light placement...this vehicle has very little available exterior space to mount lights...imo

Gotcha.

Not a lot of room to play with. Inside also around the driver area for custom switches, radio, etc. We shall see.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
cbpdogboy said:
What did you think about the Soundoff Intersector suggestion I had mentioned above for the side/rear warning?

I forgot to reply about that. I like it but not sure if they will fit under the rack. I think Ghosts would be the only thing for the front portion maybe rear section. Expensive, too. If I do anything on the rack I am thinking Ghosts.

I need a picture of the speaker mounted in the lower bumper. Can you get one? I hope the Ecoboost will not affect the install with it having an innercooler and whatnot.

I am also going to attempt to have the tint cut around the lights like my last one. TInt was cut around before they installed it. The dealer installed this tint and obviously there are no cutouts. Sides dont bother me but rear hatch does because of the defroster lines.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
Blade Runner said:
Joe Lyer's, er, MYER's Ford, eh? LOL

Haha yea. They tried to. They hated us because we caught their every "typo". I believe they will have made almost nothing with me. I also readily removed the dealership decal.

Klein said:
I need a picture of the speaker mounted in the lower bumper. Can you get one? I hope the Ecoboost will not affect the install with it having an innercooler and whatnot.

I am also going to attempt to have the tint cut around the lights like my last one. TInt was cut around before they installed it. The dealer installed this tint and obviously there are no cutouts. Sides dont bother me but rear hatch does because of the defroster lines.

If this is factory tint which I think it is there is no way to cut it, its inside the glass and not a film on the inside. I have just finished one that is a v6 in the same color as yours. I attatched pics of where I put the siren. I will post more pics and vids later.

IMG_0858.jpg

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Did you know the Eco Boost 4 cyl started life as a Pinto engine? Good little engine, but it is so much better in the new Range Rover Envoque than in any Ford vehicle. The Range Rover version is sealed and can be almost fully submerged! I think the new Explorer will be fine for everyday use. And honeslty, very very few people who own Explorers (old and new) go off pavement anyhow, so it is perfectly logical to make the new Explorer from a car. It will blend in well with the Kia, Hyundia, and Nissan cross overs. If people need to go off road, they can buy a Cheroke, Durango, Toyota, Honda, or upsize to a Tahoe.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
That looks great so far! Your attention paid to detail is something that you don't see too much of today!

Also, I have seen the split SOS hide aways in person and they are bright as can be! Even with the split colors, they are just as bright as Vertexes IMO

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
Thanks!

The undercovers were not as difficult as I thought. Or maybe not difficult but rather uneasy about drilling 1" holes in my brand new ride. But it turned out nicely. I hope the paint stays on the bezels. They were white stock and then used Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter and Duplicolor Ford Silver paint and then Rustoloeum Clear. They are pretty bright. I still think I am going to put the new Impaxx in the lower grille when they come out because they do not "punch" enough head on especially at night with the headlights on. Still my favorite part of the install though.

I like almost all of it! What lens did you use for the SOS laws, not sure if it's the fact they are split but they just don't punch for me. I am not a huge fan of the angled side lights but otherwise I love the ideas. What did you end up doin with the speaker?

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
Yea I hate that the Impaxx are angled inward but I had them mounted on the headliner first and it sagged it and there isnt enough flat surface to put them on the bottom. Still trying to work that area out. Using lens 2 on the SOS. I think I am going to put #1 back on. No speaker yet mount yet.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Not a fan of the grille LAWs. Your vid in the garage/dark showed up fine, but as they say here, anything is bright in the dark. In the vid in direct sun, you couldn't tell they were on.

I would have went with 2 dual units, or 4 lightheads, mounted like the pic kenyon linked. Plus, something for mirror lights. But, that's just me.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
Like I have said multiple times...there is more to be added to the grille. The LAWs are for intersection coverage..."sticking my nose out into traffic". I agree, in direct sun they will be impossible to see but with all my setups (stick top) I have always had issues but even more so now since I do not have a brush guard to mount any lights I want. I had to go with the most practical and most "stock" appearing option thus...SOS Undercovers.

Moving on I want to put a stick in the bottom of the upper grille. I am thinking the Feniex Python 600 should do nicely. I am also hoping and waiting FS comes out with a ILS for the '12 Explorer. I do not run hot as much as I used to that is why I sold a lot of my lights from my '07 plus I needed the money for a down payment on this one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Advancedstreet

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.