2012 XLT Explorer 11/4/11

Looks good. What pegasus are you ordering, my sales guy from feniex tried to tell me the old explorer one would work because they didnt change that part, I think you know thats not true. I would be curious to see how much sound loss you get by putting the siren there.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
kenton1979 said:
Looks good. What pegasus are you ordering, my sales guy from feniex tried to tell me the old explorer one would work because they didnt change that part, I think you know thats not true. I would be curious to see how much sound loss you get by putting the siren there.

Universal Split. I had a Pinnacle for my 2007...it did not fit at all. Not even worth trying to make it work. I called Feniex anyway and they told me it wouldn't fit.

What is in front of the speaker is no more than other vehicles on the road. Just a little plastic from the grille. Not like a couple walls and huge bumper. I haven't cleared enough traffic to tell a difference. I do miss my 400 watts though.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Question.. I just noticed you went with more Feniex stuff this time but why did you not use their LED HAWs and used Sound Off? Reason im wondering is Im about to have to purchase some for my truck.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
fireman616wfd said:
Question.. I just noticed you went with more Feniex stuff this time but why did you not use their LED HAWs and used Sound Off? Reason im wondering is Im about to have to purchase some for my truck.

I was not impressed with the construction of the Fairy. It just seemed lacking overall. I also wanted split colors and the Fairy does not come in split. The dome appears to stick out more past the bezel and it looks silly to me. I wanted more low-pro since I was mounting mine so much out in the open. Appearance when off was very important being a new vehicle and wanting it to blend in as much as possible. I think the SOS was the best option for that. I am still undecided if split was the best option. I do like the look and the combo of the color but I also think a solid color on each side flashing faster may...may have been better. I am happy with the SOS ones though. Great light, brightness and construction. I think my second choice would be the Vertex (not the new competitor series). I love the ones I have in the rear lights. Very bright and havent had any issues.

kparr5

Sep 15, 2011
US/Kansas
Klein said:
I wasn't happy with the Pegasus so going to stick with the original setup until I come up with a better solution.

Front:

2 RB Fed Sig Dual Viper S2

1 R Feniex T4

1 B Feniex T4

2 RW SOS HAW LEDs

2 BW SOS HAW LEDs with Ford color matched (a shade or two off being on plastic not metal) painted bezels

I'm am about to to an install for a 2012 Explorer myself. I was wondering what you didn't like about the Pegasus?

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
With the Pegasus gone and my two vipers back I have been doing well with moving traffic. The red is dimmer than the blue but not nearly as noticeable as before. Next step is a Setina PB400. Just need to confirm with Setina that it will work with the Ecoboost. I REALLY hope FS will make an ILS for the Explorer soon.

And thanks for the replies, Joe! The Pegasus is a great light. I think the brightness is along the lines of the Pinnacle or an Inner Edge. I like that the flash back shield is moveable and customizable. I had the Split Universal and that was very customizable. I couldn't use the outer visor brackets (the brackets for all 4 mounts are the same; inners being smaller than the outers) but I was still able to make it work. I think the cable could have been longer. I had to extend my wires by a foot. Flash patterns are alright. Whelen has the best variety of patterns but Fed Sig has my favorite pattern which is on the ILS. Overvall I give it a 4/5 with an ILS at 5/5, IE and Pinnacle at 4/5.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Klein said:
Soon to be gone. A 2012 Jeep GC is on order. Maybe another week or two.

Lol.. What was your biggest gripe with the Explorer???

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
tom said:
Lol.. What was your biggest gripe with the Explorer???

I did not have anything repaired due to my trading in however, reading hundreds (literally) of posts regarding my same issues with my exact model I can only assume my Ex would be no different. I say that in the a lot of the issues below continue even after "repair". Windshields and seals being replaced, 3, 4, 5 or even more times!! Crazy. A waranty covers all that but I still should not have to deal with it and be stuck with a rental for God only knows how long.

A-pillar seals on both sides of windshield are bad. 65+ MPH and there is a howel, rattle or ticking depending if there is a cross wind or not.

MyFord Touch freezes daily. Once a bluetooth phone is connected, the MP3 player music will skip for about a minute. So, if you get in, start the engine, MP3 starts playing music and then your phone connects (automatically), the music will start to skip for a minute. I usually just pause it or go to the radio

Personal preference that I thought I would get over: front wheel drive. Hate it.

EcoBoost engine is not getting the MPG as listed. Not even close. I get about 18.5 city and 21 hwy

Moisture in the mirror turn signals and debris in the [sealed] headlight projector housing.

Video does not work via my MP3 player despite being told and reading that it will play as long as I am in park via RCA cables

Front windows streak occasionally (like a light grease or residue)

Interior lights sometimes stay on after being locked and everything else times out.

I know not the biggest but seriously...too many issues. The windshield rattle is the worst but the EB engine is in a close race with it.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Klein said:
I did not have anything repaired due to my trading in however, reading hundreds (literally) of posts regarding my same issues with my exact model I can only assume my Ex would be no different. I say that in the a lot of the issues below continue even after "repair". Windshields and seals being replaced, 3, 4, 5 or even more times!! Crazy. A waranty covers all that but I still should not have to deal with it and be stuck with a rental for God only knows how long.

A-pillar seals on both sides of windshield are bad. 65+ MPH and there is a howel, rattle or ticking depending if there is a cross wind or not.

MyFord Touch freezes daily. Once a bluetooth phone is connected, the MP3 player music will skip for about a minute. So, if you get in, start the engine, MP3 starts playing music and then your phone connects (automatically), the music will start to skip for a minute. I usually just pause it or go to the radio

Personal preference that I thought I would get over: front wheel drive. Hate it.

EcoBoost engine is not getting the MPG as listed. Not even close. I get about 18.5 city and 21 hwy

Moisture in the mirror turn signals and debris in the [sealed] headlight projector housing.

Video does not work via my MP3 player despite being told and reading that it will play as long as I am in park via RCA cables

Front windows streak occasionally (like a light grease or residue)

Interior lights sometimes stay on after being locked and everything else times out.

I know not the biggest but seriously...too many issues. The windshield rattle is the worst but the EB engine is in a close race with it.

Wow that's so BS!

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
All those common issues and it's not even body-on-frame anymore. The Tahoe wins again!

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
Ipuvaepe said:
All those common issues and it's not even body-on-frame anymore. The Tahoe wins again!

Very disappointed with Ford and the disappointed with the new Explorer. I miss my black one. *sigh*.

Jeep...soon enough!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Advancedstreet

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.