Whelen Cencom Gold

Whelen Howler

2013 Sport 1.jpg

2013 Sport 2.jpg

alr22508

Dec 17, 2010
New York
Cencom Gold, Howler

-The Howler, Cencom Gold controller, and fuse block were mounted to a piece of wood that was cut to fit under the drivers seat. Wires were run along the drivers side floor board to the front and rear.

Guts 1.jpg

Guts 2.jpg

Guts 3.jpg

View attachment 103676

Guts 5.jpg

Guts 6.jpg

Guts 7.jpg

alr22508

Dec 17, 2010
New York
The Whelen Howler was installed inside of the drivers side fender with 2013 Ford Explorer utility mount. It fit almost perfectly except for one of the holes on the mounting bracket does not line up with the chassis. The hole needs to be drilled on the chassis, not a big deal just an unexpected extra step. Also the stock horn needs to be bent back slightly to accommodate the Howler speaker.

howler 1.1.jpg

Howler 1.2.jpg

Howler 1.jpg

Howler 2.jpg

Howler 3.jpg

Howler 4.jpg

Howler 5.jpg

Howler 6.jpg

Howler 7.jpg

Howler 8.jpg

alr22508

Dec 17, 2010
New York
Soundoff Ghost red/white in the Grill

Soundoff ghost red/white for the intersection mounted on the 10-75 licence plate bracket.

Whelen Talon Installed on passenger side headliner.

Front 1.jpg

Front 2.jpg

Front 3.jpg

Front 4.jpg

front 5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Nice, clean work bro. When everything was Said and done, about how much time did it take you to install & wire the howler? Also, is this your POV, or did you do this job for a customer?

If it were mine, I would've stuck with all solid red lights (stronger punch and they won't drown out as easily at nightime with the headlights on OR if you add one of the newer HLFs that some members here offer for the PI), and utilized more side & rear warning. That'd be a perfect amount of warning for a courtesy light, but IMHO, I would have something in the rear side windows and something on the rear headliner if I were the one responding code 3 in that vehicle. But like I said, nice clean work ;-)

PS how/where did you mount the cencom control head? If love to see a pic of the interior

alr22508

Dec 17, 2010
New York
pdk9 said:
Nice, clean work bro. When everything was Said and done, about how much time did it take you to install & wire the howler? Also, is this your POV, or did you do this job for a customer?

If it were mine, I would've stuck with all solid red lights (stronger punch and they won't drown out as easily at nightime with the headlights on OR if you add one of the newer HLFs that some members here offer for the PI), and utilized more side & rear warning. That'd be a perfect amount of warning for a courtesy light, but IMHO, I would have something in the rear side windows and something on the rear headliner if I were the one responding code 3 in that vehicle. But like I said, nice clean work ;-)

PS how/where did you mount the cencom control head? If love to see a pic of the interior

Thank you!! It is a POV I am the Chief of a Volunteer Ambulance Corps I don't respond to many calls in it. It is more of a just in case type of thing was not looking to make it all flashy was looking for low key. In addition did the install this way because everything except the tail lights can be pulled out with any marks/drilling damage to the vehicle which was my main goal. I agree to be honest i don't like the ions flash pattern and they are a pain to program. I think i am going to put another talon in the front window as well. To be honest with the howler i think all i need is one red beacon and people will move, might be one of the best warning devices ever created.

I did this whole install in a day took me about 8.hrs. The howler is really easy to install if you don't use the horn-ring feature. I will get a picture of the controller, its mounted with Ez-pass Velcro in the center console front most compartment above the shifter so i can remove when i want to. Any other questions feel free to ask.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Slow the Talon down, and why aren't those rear lights synced?

I've considered an Explorer Sport. The 3.5EB motor would be quite entertaining. But it's a big change from an F150.

May 27, 2013
NY
He has the Dual Talon on the same flash pattern that every single unmarked NYPD police vehicle uses. I think with the slow grill lights its not the worst thing in the world, but it could be slower.

hoj1192

Nov 8, 2011
NYC,NY
FollowingNFront said:
He has the Dual Talon on the same flash pattern that every single unmarked NYPD police vehicle uses. I think with the slow grill lights its not the worst thing in the world, but it could be slower.

That actually isnt the same one, the flash pattern they use on almost all the NYPD unmarks is only on the FS viper

alr22508

Dec 17, 2010
New York
iceman4122 said:
+1 on interior pics. How did you install the talon to the headliner?

The headliner install was actually very simple. I used a "simpson strong tie" from Home Dept cost 90 cents pictured below. I attached the tie to the talons mounting holes with one of the pre-drilled holes on the tie. I took the car visor mount off and slipped the tie under the headliner. Once lined up i marked the ares that needed to be cut on the tie so that the visor mount would go through the tie. Took the tie back out and cut out the marked section. Once the whole was the correct size i put the tie back up with light attached and screwed the visor mount back in pinching the car visor mount, headliner and tie all together. The metal is thin enough that you can bend it if you need to.

The picture of tie below was my first try i didn't have the correct tools and i butchered it.

20130825_181750.jpg

Front Dash light.jpg

N55

Jun 12, 2010
Boston, MA
That sport looks great! Nice clean and simple install but still effective. If you're responding much I'd consider throwing a flasher on the fogs and wig wag those. I wouldn't trust that new wig wag flasher. I'd be afraid it would burn out the headlights.

I also like the ghosts. Solid colors have a bigger footprint but having both red then both white flash at the same time seems very effective.

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
Only thing I would do is flip one of the grille lights over so the same colour is outboard on both lights, my OCD playing up again. Maybe amber to the rear as well.

N55

Jun 12, 2010
Boston, MA
irsa76 said:
Only thing I would do is flip one of the grille lights over so the same colour is outboard on both lights, my OCD playing up again. Maybe amber to the rear as well.

You talking both both reds out and both clear in so it does a center out pattern? That would look good too.

alr22508

Dec 17, 2010
New York
irsa76 said:

I am definitely going to flip one of the ghost its just such a huge process i have to take off the whole bumper to do it so i have been procrastinating. In the back i think i am going to 1 or 2 red blue slimlighter in the rear window.

aj4vs

Mar 4, 2011
FL
ff168577 said:
In the car. Sorry I had too.
lol

But i'd like to see where the control head is mounted also. I have the same vehicle and currently planning out my setup/layout.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Very nice install. Clean vehicle. Clean install! And love the sync. About the only thing that would make it ANY better would be having the talon in sync with the ghosts (external flasher) or idk if any SOS dash lights sync with ghosts but that would be cool too. But I'm super OCD and don't even think you NEED to flip the ghost. Think it looks just fine.

Why nitpick about the flash pattern you've got to remember that no matter how good or bad the video quality is the flash pattern will look different in person. All that matters is that the emergency lights move traffic. It's not a beauty contest thoe to be honest this set up is HOT. No crazy holes drilled inside or out makes for better resale.

I'm jealous when it was time for me to buy a new vehicle I tryed to get the Explorer sport however they had just been released and every dealer was sold out. There was a month long waiting list so I got the Explorer Limited.

How did you mount the grill lights? Was it a custom or an option when purchasing the light head? +1 for the interior photo I've been dragging my feet in reguards to installing radios as well as lighting and siren controls. Currently relying on my XTS5000 for Communication and two slimlighters with cigarette plug. I had been considering the small Federal Signal SS200 with only six buttons and slide switch. I'd like to see how a full size remote head fits in.

Just a heads up Federal and Whelen both make a bracket for the Explorer / interceptor that utilizes the passenger side sunvisor clamp as a no drill mounting point. They run around fifteen to twenty bucks depending on brand and the retailer.

alr22508

Dec 17, 2010
New York
How did you mount the grill lights? Was it a custom or an option when purchasing the light head?

Grill lights came with the clamp mount no drilling required. The lights clamped right on the grill.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
@thebluesignal

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.