AdvantEdge Addition: First one for me

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
So out of all the bars I've owned in my life (which has been a bunch), I've somehow never owned a Whelen AdvantEdge, despite my best efforts. I've always loved their design and customizability. When I saw these on a FB page, I shot the seller a message for one at a reasonable price and he accepted! So here she is.

The bar itself is in really good, solid condition. Two rotators, a V-mirror and nothing else. There is a small crack in each of the lenses but the endcaps are pristine. I am, however, unable to remove one of the endcaps because someone overtightened the two lower screws to within an inch of their lives. Oh well. Anyway, I wiped it down and noticed that this bar has a rather unusual inner setup. I'm guessing it was used for front+side warning only, but I've never seen two rotators so close together. It seems like 1/3 of the inner bar space isn't used.

I'm trying to decide what to do with this bar. Should I keep it as is and just clean it up a little more or should I go nuts and add strobes and mirrors and rotators and stuff like that? I kinda want to put in alley lights just because there are the endcap cutouts for them. 

IMG_2945.JPG

IMG_2944.JPG

IMG_2943.JPG

IMG_2942.JPG

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Special model, came in a few different setups.  Main thing that makes them different is the big V mirror blocking a lot of the front flash. A lower flood light was an option.  Some departments would make the "front" facing lens fluted (strobe optics) to even further dissipate the front flash.

45.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
Nice Bar.  i would take and oil up that lower screw and slowly back it out.     Lens are still available

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Nice Bar.  i would take and oil up that lower screw and slowly back it out.     Lens are still available

Not new, but easily used.  The current 4500 ambulance lenses aren't the same exactly.

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Nice find, especially not being all that common.

I had a couple just like that...that's the tailboard version. Not too common either I don't believe. I'd leave it as-is myself.

I agree

Last edited by a moderator:

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Thanks for the clarification, guys (and the catalogues, John)! It's interesting how nearly everything that could possibly be made has come that way from the factory at some point in time. I'll keep it as-is and give it another bath when I get around to it. I'll find another AdvantEdge to mess with. 

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeystoneDiesel

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.