Aerotwinsonics, Twinsonics and others

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
I managed to rescue a few FS lightbars from destruction in Honolulu.

So far, i've got the following:

4 Twinsonics (CTS1) One that is in original configuration, 3 that have had the original sealed beam removed and replaced with halogen reflectors.

3 Aerotwinsonics (24RMC A1) One in original configuration, two that have had parts removed for opticoms or additional reflectors.

1 Aerotwinsonic (24RMVF A1) Seems identical to the "24RMVF 2Z" version

and a few others that seem more "standard" than the above.

Will provide updates and photos when i start restoring these pieces. Any tips or comments welcome.

Here are some pics:

A few of the lights

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_Vintage_20Federal_18849f4740956ec0011b978d49c1e9bf.jpg

Twinsonic (CTS1)

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_Twinsonics_946468_10152852912635430_1477604252_n.jpg

Aerotwinsonic (24RMVF A1)

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_NYPD_20style_20Aerotwinsonic_nypdaero.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Very nice! I like the NYPD style lightbar with the red/blue lenses. :thumbsup:

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
ERIC6913 said:
Any of the lightbars have factory Hawaii Spec cruise lights installed?

I've got a few of those in my storage facility. I'll post pics of one of them if you like.

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
fedsig7 said:
Nice! Do you know which agencies in Hawaii they came from?

All were from Honolulu Fire. Not sure how they ended up with the CTS1s, RMCs and NYPD (Imposter). I guess maybe they were standard issue when purchasing fire apparatus/vehicles.

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
ERIC6913 said:
Any of the lightbars have factory Hawaii Spec cruise lights installed?

Per request:

Photo 1: Honolulu Police Aerodynic with "Cruise" or "Pilot" lights (They are mounted between the fixed sealed beams and last rotator on each side of bar)

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_HPD_20Aerodynic_HPDAero2.jpg

Photo 2: Honolulu Police Aerodynic with appropriate colored domes (rear view).

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_HPD_20Aerodynic_HPDAero.jpg

Reactions: Maxim2Eng

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Not sure if these would be considered "vintage" but maybe collectable, and rarely seen on the roads in Honolulu (since the standard is now the Whelen Liberty).

Ligthbar restoration class:

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_HPD_20Edge_HPDedge.jpg

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
warubozu47 said:
not sure if these would be considered "vintage" but maybe collectable, and rarely seen on the roads in honolulu (since the standard is now the whelen liberty).

whoa. This exists?! What?!?!

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
you would have to light them up all and turn off all the hall lights. :)

you would get a COMBO blinding. lol

warubozu47 said:
Not sure if these would be considered "vintage" but maybe collectable, and rarely seen on the roads in Honolulu (since the standard is now the Whelen Liberty).

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
warubozu47 said:

lotsofbars said:
whoa. This exists?! What?!?!

Why didn't they have this course at my college?!?!? Dang it, dang it DANG IT!!!!!! :crazy: :bonk: :D

BTW, rockin' collection you've got, man :thumbsup:

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks all for the kind words. BTW, the Lightbar class was not part of a college curriculum (although it would be cool). We just were lucky enough to utilize a local college classroom to have my buddies and I re-lens, re-wire, and change any bad bulbs on the bars.

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Here is the info plate for the HPD aerodynic. It reads 24EAHT 3Z

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_HPD_20Aerodynic_20130610_151936.jpg

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
HPD Aerodynic: Only had rotators on, flasher didnt work, so I didn't turn it on. You'll notice that the front passenger end lens is clear, this was done to have a single takedown. The other three (driver front, and two rear) flashed alternately. If you click on the photos, you should open the video in a separate window.

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_HPD_20Aerodynic_th_20120528_232929.jpg

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_HPD_20Aerodynic_th_20120524_171502.jpg

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
Spectacular. Cruise lights... nice.

I think this is the place to ask this: What does, "2Z," or in this case, "3Z," mean?

I have more than one type with this after designator. Special order, maybe?

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
TDC said:
Spectacular. Cruise lights... nice.

I think this is the place to ask this: What does, "2Z," or in this case, "3Z," mean?

I have more than one type with this after designator. Special order, maybe?

There's alot of reference to those "z" things... I would assume it means special order. But not sure.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
warubozu47 said:
All were from Honolulu Fire. Not sure how they ended up with the CTS1s, RMCs and NYPD (Imposter). I guess maybe they were standard issue when purchasing fire apparatus/vehicles.
My guess would be the CTS bars ended up there on a purchase or donation of used fire trucks from california or a pallet of them donated to HFD.

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
JennyCop said:
My guess would be the CTS bars ended up there on a purchase or donation of used fire trucks from california or a pallet of them donated to HFD.

Very well could have!

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
I wish my area had more finds like this!!! Nice score!!!!!!

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Zapp Brannigan said:
I wish my area had more finds like this!!! Nice score!!!!!!

Yeah, I totally understand. It took me months and sometimes years to get this stuff.

Incidentally, just picked up two of three HPD Aeros from a friend's garage this afternoon. I was totally caught off guard; this was out of the blue. They're in pretty rough shape, here are a few preliminary photos:

HPD 708 (Tag with different info: Model 24EAH-T Volts 12 Series A1H) other tags don't have the A1H but do reflect 3Z after the model number.

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_HPD_20Aerodynic_image_1.jpg

HPD 742 with cruise/pilot lights on!

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_HPD_20Aerodynic_HPD742Cruise.jpg

HPD 742 Cruise/Pilot light close up - Cruise/Pilot light bayonet mount between the sealed beams and the end reflector

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_HPD_20Aerodynic_image_2.jpg

Reactions: dmathieu

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
JennyCop said:

I read a story in a magazine about crown firecoach era trucks going from CA to HI... now I can't find it. I bet that could account for this. Good call Jenny.

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
JohnMarcson said:
I read a story in a magazine about crown firecoach era trucks going from CA to HI... now I can't find it. I bet that could account for this. Good call Jenny.

Thanks, John/Jenny.... Wow, that's cool. I remember growing up as a kid seeing the crown firecoaches... If I am not mistaken, there is one crown firecoach that was renovated and now used as a "special event" apparatus (used for carrying a firefighters casket, or in parades) and a crown ladder truck, that's rotting away at the maintenance shop.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I also recall some CA dep of Forestry trucks ended up repainted yellow in HI. They sported single center grill mounted steady born PAR lights and CTS lightbars.

df.JPG

cts.JPG

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
JohnMarcson said:
I also recall some CA dep of Forestry trucks ended up repainted yellow in HI. They sported single center grill mounted steady born PAR lights and CTS lightbars.

Yep, thats the Hawaii Island "bone yard". Honolulu FD did get a brushtruck from California Forestry... It was painted celery green. Dunno if it's still in service though.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
JohnMarcson said:

I see a Sutphen apparatus in the far left of that picture . . . they should never be taken out of service.

Reactions: toolman247

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Here's an aerodynic in service on a 1990 or previous Chevy Caprice:

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_HIHonoluluPolice03_vi.jpg

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
warubozu47 said:
Yeah, I totally understand. It took me months and sometimes years to get this stuff.

Incidentally, just picked up two of three HPD Aeros from a friend's garage this afternoon. I was totally caught off guard; this was out of the blue. They're in pretty rough shape, here are a few preliminary photos:

HPD 708 (Tag with different info: Model 24EAH-T Volts 12 Series A1H) other tags don't have the A1H but do reflect 3Z after the model number.

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_HPD_20Aerodynic_image_1.jpg

Model 24EAH-T Volts 12 Series A1H indicates a standard length Aerodynic 24 with End lights, Alley lights, Halogen H-1 bulbs and Takedown lights. My guess is that the Honolulu vehicle service shop added the cruise lights to this particular Aerodynic.

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
stansdds said:
Model 24EAH-T Volts 12 Series A1H indicates a standard length Aerodynic 24 with End lights, Alley lights, Halogen H-1 bulbs and Takedown lights. My guess is that the Honolulu vehicle service shop added the cruise lights to this particular Aerodynic.

Ah ok, that make sense. I thought maybe they stuck the H at the end of the A1 to indicate "Hawaii". Of all the HPD aerodynics, that's the first i've seen with that marking.

Thanks!

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
And here's a video of one of the units I picked up Tuesday afternoon (click the photo):

ai41.photobucket.com_albums_e299_Warubozu47_th_HPDAERODYNIC.jpg

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
One thing I've noticed with the Honolulu PD AeroDynics is that the rotator setting is the inside-out SAFE pattern: 0-2-4 / 4-2-0. Certaintly a break in the monotany of the regular SAFE pattern, and the cruise lights look neat in the lightbar. Cool piece of vintage Hawaii history there :thumbsup:

warubozu47

Oct 6, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
CrownVic97 said:
One thing I've noticed with the Honolulu PD AeroDynics is that the rotator setting is the inside-out SAFE pattern: 0-2-4 / 4-2-0. Certaintly a break in the monotany of the regular SAFE pattern, and the cruise lights look neat in the lightbar. Cool piece of vintage Hawaii history there :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words my friend.

BTW, picked up the last of the three aeros, and man is it in bad shape... Looks like the birds got to it... Long road to recovery ahead. Will post pics soon.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.