Aircraft Beacon Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feb 16, 2013
Idaho
I have the opportunity to pick up this light. It is described as a functioning aircraft beacon. One photo looks like it may be missing a bulb as I see an empty socket. Anyone recognize this light and what it may be worth in working condition. Thanks for any help.beacon 1.jpgbeacon 2.jpgbeacon 3.jpg

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
This is a Grimes aircraft beacon made to fit a hole in the body of a plane. Beware of voltage, may or may not be 12 Volt. As cmb56 says, there was an automotive version called the Hi-Flash. This is not it. Yes, there is a bulb missing.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Where in the World would this attach to a Plane... undercarrige or tail... looks more industrial then the hi flash... but since I dont know..

May 21, 2010
Western Montana
Where in the World would this attach to a Plane... undercarrige or tail... looks more industrial then the hi flash... but since I dont know..

These older rotating beacons would fit flush on the top and or bottom of the fuselage, and often in a receptacle on top of the vertical stabilizer. Typically 24V/28V. The development of strobes, and now LED's, superseded these rotating/oscillating beacons, just like on vehicles.

Many older generation general aircraft have updated their lighting to newer and more reliable technology, but every now and then you see one of these REAL beacons.

Reactions: stlfireman

Feb 16, 2013
Idaho
Since the light appears to be missing a bulb, does anyone know if replacement bulbs are readily available or are they hard to find?

Feb 16, 2013
Idaho
Thanks everyone for the info. I spoke with the seller. He says its a 12 volt system he took out of an airplane 15 years ago. He is going to try to find a bulb for the one that is missing and get back to me. We'll see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.