Am I the only one that still uses GEN 1 LEDs?

firefighter221

Nov 1, 2010
Mass.
So I've been looking around the site quite a bit, and I've noticed that not many people seem to be using any 5mm LEDs anymore... Aside from strobes and an gen3 amber TA to the rear, that's all I have on my truck haha. Is this just because I'm on a budget or am I really behind the times?

My sergeant prefers them...loves the way they look. He has Whelen Avengers on his back deck, but the front of the car is nothing but Gen1 LEDs by choice.

Some people in my dept use tir grill lights and gen1 dash lights... The next town over has patriots with gen1 leds and strobes. Theyre good head on.

hmm... maybe its just because the stuff has kinda fallen into my lap on a few occasions, and also because it's a fair bit cheaper. Secondary question: I know TIR doesn't usually have good off-axis light, but how does it compare to the 5mm? For example... slimlighters. I've got a gen1, and it does okay off-axis, whereas I've heard the Gen3 is lacking in that department.

I am still using quite a fair amount of the Gen1 LEDs. I Prefer them for some reason.

naww..i have a few..4 accually on the rear of my lightbar and two on the snowblower :D HAHA

I have a 5mm dash light and two 5mm grill lights I like them and my pd has a unit with a patriot lightbar and its gen 1 and strobe mix looks okay.

There's a vollie FD the next county over when I work part time on the ambo that has a mid 90s Chevy Suburban or Tahoe that has nothing but gen I LEDs. Kind of interesting, as it's an all black ride, with red lettering and has the Sho-me full size Luminator, four micro-lites on the grille, HAW strobes front and back and some LEDs in the back (interior) of the truck I can't remember. All together, it still does a very good job.

theroofable said:
The next town over has patriots with gen1 leds and strobes. Theyre good head on.

Yeah the SD where i live has some. The strobes really stand out. They are slowly switching to to slicktop inner edges or liberties

west haven ct still uses the patriots GEN1 they are attention getting. also they are great for rear of amber vehicles like plows set on single flash also the Whelen S/T/T blow away any of the typical truck light supplies

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381