Beacon Ray 144

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
Well I contacted Gary Cahill about some repro Beacon Ray badges and he doesn't make that style. He had one that may work but it had a spot for the serial # instead of the series, which is A3-1Z. Not sure what I'll do. May part the bar out. The tags are just shot full of holes.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
IDK, I really want to keep this bar intact.  I have kicked myself over the last three Twin Beacon Rays I've sold, and to find essentially a four-bulb version, well, I'd be still looking if I just toss it.  I think I'm going to get some of these 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Federal-Signal-Corporation-Model-11-TWIN-Beacon-Ray-Replacement-Badge-/261671431277?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cecd52c6d

and beg the seller to put in "144" "A3-1Z" on the blanks.  Then I'll just carefully remove the old tags and epoxy them inside the tubs for posterity.  Then I just need a dome and two 4416Rs.

I thought about cobbing them out and putting them in my EH TwinSonic but couldn't bear it.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I think you have made a wise decision.  Too bad you cannot get reproductions of the correct Model 144 tags.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I love these old light bars.  I just picked up a Visibar, with two model 11 beacons.. I need to disassemble but have never worked on one of these. Want to restore it.  Can you provide any instructions/advice on taking the beacons off the frame and apart?  It has the chain down the center.  I might need to replace the motor and have no idea how this will come apart.  Thanks

my personal e-mail is:  kellcin@mindspring.com

Thanks

shibby1952

May 8, 2013
Iowa
PM sent via email.

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
maybe 143 and 144 were made as substitut for visibar 11 beacoms
if someone wanted to have 3 or 4 pars in each beacom on visibar.
they could be very good choise on visibar or just independent beacom.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I wonder why the 144 didn't gain more popularity? Lots of light in a compact beacon and very impressive on a Visibar when you combine two of 'em.

Reactions: kadetklapp

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Now that's a light show ! Scientifically the faster a light spins the less effective it is to the eye. Gosswieler did not want to do 4 bulb lights. He said the pupils do not have enough time to reset after the flash to keep the POP, POP going. It ends up being a blur instead. It does look cool on this bar though. Really no different than two 184's that you see all the time. Maybe it was the spacing of a truck roof vs a car roof.

That lightbar totally ROCKS! Thanks for the video...you are indeed a gentleman and a scholar, which is only exceeded by your good looks.
...Gosswieler did not want to do 4 bulb lights. He said the pupils do not have enough time to reset after the flash to keep the POP, POP going. It ends up being a blur instead....
That was a "selling point" for the 174 Super BR--the 95 degree oscillation was supposed to set the eye up for the dwell, making the flash appear brighter. Of course that only worked if the viewer was on a 90 degree axis with the vehicle. I "engineered" brackets to turn a model 11 (Twin BR) into a 4-beam version. The synchronized flash pattern and higher rate of fpm was very effective. As I said before, had I known about the 144, it would have been a much easier conversion. To overcome the lack of pop, our FD used 100w bulbs in everything--problem solved (thanks to Leece-Neville alternators) !

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.