"BEEHIVE" / "JELLYJAR" Light Thread

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
Haven't seen a strobe on this thread yet, this is probably at the end of "modern". Dietz 12volt Strobe, still has foam mounting gasket stuck to the bottom. Doubting whether it was ever mounted to anything.

SANY0657.jpg

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
I came across a couple of "beehive" lights about 10 years ago, when I first wanted to begin my collection. One is just the glass and the second one is on a metal base (no bottom - thus no electrical base) with a plaque that states "The Griffin Lamp Company No. 360, Hamilton Ohio U.S.A."

ai1282.photobucket.com_albums_a521_DalmatProd_Beehives_zpsd0f9ee25.jpg

I've been thinking of trying to find bottoms I can use for a night light bulb or similar to I can add these two to the display I'm working on.

Thanks,

Steve

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
DalmatProd said:
I came across a couple of "beehive" lights about 10 years ago, when I first wanted to begin my collection. One is just the glass and the second one is on a metal base (no bottom - thus no electrical base) with a plaque that states "The Griffin Lamp Company No. 360, Hamilton Ohio U.S.A."

I've been thinking of trying to find bottoms I can use for a night light bulb or similar to I can add these two to the display I'm working on.

Thanks,

Steve

That one with the Griffin tag should be verrry old. I have three BR2s, all red. Got two of them off Ebay years ago before they began to get so pricy!

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
DalmatProd said:

Thanks,

Steve

Yep, the first is a Griffin Model 360, and the 2nd is a lens for a Yankee, I believe.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
dmathieu said:
Yep, the first is a Griffin Model 360, and the 2nd is a lens for a Yankee, I believe.

Thanks for letting me know about the second dome! I had no idea where it came from!

Steve

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Captain4164 said:
I got one of them. Its been sitting in our shop for months and months. Dunno how we got it, and no one else does either. Since we don't use IC lights, no one knows where it came from, so my mechanic boss told me to make it disappear.

So now you're a magician, too, huh! :yes:

hyperjohnny

Nov 1, 2010
WI USA
Digging deeper I forgot about this wooden bar with 3 of these mounted to it leaning in the corner...

The second picture shows a few of those K-D lenses in red/amber/blue. I know I had a box full of those somewhere...

Someday I should inventory all this crap. I'd probably be floored with all the boxes of stuff I'm sure I forgotten about over all these years...

Then there's the 2 I just got a couple of weeks ago, next to siren, of course.

100_4897.jpg

101_0811.jpg

101_1535.jpg

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
Skip Goulet said:
So now you're a magician, too, huh! :yes:

He said make it go away cuz we keep teasing all the Chiefs we are gonna mount it and hook it up on their vehicles. They all hate those IC lights. Each time a Chiefs vehicle comes in the shop, we put it on weird places and take pics to send to them about where we mounted it

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
hyperjohnny said:
Digging deeper I forgot about this wooden bar with 3 of these mounted to it leaning in the corner...
The second picture shows a few of those K-D lenses in red/amber/blue. I know I had a box full of those somewhere...

Someday I should inventory all this crap. I'd probably be floored with all the boxes of stuff I'm sure I forgotten about over all these years...

Then there's the 2 I just got a couple of weeks ago, next to siren, of course.

Have you figured out yet what the siren is?

hyperjohnny

Nov 1, 2010
WI USA
Skip Goulet said:
Earmarks, huh! Is it that loud...or have you tried it? BTW, in those extra domes you have, do you have a blue one for a BR2?

I have tried it and it works flawlessly. It's not as loud as I thought it would be, though.

I don't have any BR2 domes in blue. I believe you can still get the plastic versions from North american or maybe the industrial side of Federal may still offer glass for high-temperature applications... Don't know for sure. If they do, I'm sure they're un-godly expensive...

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
It does look like an old Griffin Model 360, and yes, I believe they were around back into the late 30s.

Thanks for taking the time to get the pics!

It would be interesting to see a real one.

Captain4164

May 3, 2012
California
Cool, I didn't know that. I don't think CDF ever used those lights, as we used to have Power Wagons and they had two lights mounted to the A pillars, one flashed and one was solid. Don't think we woulda ever used those. In my thread about my truck itself, I posted a pic of an original CDF Power Wagon. http://elightbars.org/forums/f18/federal-jr-beacon-ray-31207/ Post #4

Last edited by a moderator:

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Just grabbed this beautiful Griffin Model 360 light with special off-white painted base.

This has a very vintage single fluted perfect lens with no marks or chips.

This is my second off-white base, and my 4th perfect single fluted lens, now 2 red, 1 amber, and 1 split 1/2 red 1/2 amber. All are pictured in this thread.

These single fluted lenses give off an amazingly bright and concentrated beam, compared to the more common, newer, double fluted design.

$_57 (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:
That is a K-D Lamp Company "beehive" light.

When I was a little kid the predominantly black funeral home had a 1951 Chevy Sedan-delivery as their ambulance. The unit had a pair of single-faced driving lights painted red mounted on the front corners along with a single-faced red light that resembles the Carpenter light pictured above in the center. Behind those lights was either an early Federal BR2 on a KD light..not sure which. The original siren was a Federal 78 doubletone siren with the PropelloRay light, which the guy replaced with a little VL siren, because the larger siren "used too much juice". Go figure! He never understood why people wouldn't pull over for him after the siren switch! :no:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I'm not Dan, but I do know that back in the day, most sirens, lights and beacons were available in 6 and 12 VDC. The "beehive" and "jelly jar" lights were typically on a flasher, very simple, on and off pattern, although a pair of lights could be wired to an alternating flasher to give a wig-wag effect.

Reactions: Skip Goulet

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
stansdds said:
I'm not Dan, but I do know that back in the day, most sirens, lights and beacons were available in 6 and 12 VDC. The "beehive" and "jelly jar" lights were typically on a flasher, very simple, on and off pattern, although a pair of lights could be wired to an alternating flasher to give a wig-wag effect.

+1...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.