Best and Brightest LED hide away?!

fireman29b

May 23, 2010
Guthrie, OK
So I've looked at a ton of videos and want folks' opinion on the best LED hideaway out there.

I've got some LAW's and Vertex's from Big W but want to get others' opinions. I really like SOS's Interchangable lens to customize based on angle of install. Any advice is appreciated.

cory y

May 21, 2010
The LAWs are the brightest, but are unavailable.

I currently really like the Feniex's they are damn nice

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Well i can speak from experience that the Whelen Vertex are nothing special i have owned a pair of them in "red" and well they arnt very noticeable during the bright Texas sun at night they are a diffrent story but during the day i rather stick with the old fashioned strobe. Now i dont know what type of hide away LEDS are in that other thread the one "rescate171" did the one about Turkish installs but DAMN those hide aways are bright as hell!!

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
I personally like the Feniex Fairy's and the Axixtech Tri's, those are the two most of my customers pick!

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
My VFD has an Expedition with both W LAWs and Vertex; the LAWs (in the back-up lights) are much brighter than the Vertex (in the STT lamps).

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
GT Distributors in Austin sells the Whelen LAW's, which are the brightest HAW LED's I've seen. Galls has them listed in the last catalog i recived last week. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for. I just installed amber fenix fairy lights, and am impressed, more so than with vertex.

zacmtz7

May 21, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I have Soundoff undercover LAW, they are crazy bright. but your application needs to only need 180 degree coverage. I think they are the brightest hands down. I have the clear/white heads.

WhiteLite03

Oct 7, 2010
Middle Tennessee
I just got a pair of FedSig LAWs in, I haven't installed them yet, but just from testing them they seem to be pretty bright. If I can get them to fit in the housings I have in mind, I'll post a video with the results.

TraFx

Jun 10, 2010
South Carolina
We have had a lot of success with the Fairy from Feniex. The output is fantastic at a very affordable price. We have also sold a good bit of the Sound Off Universal heads with the interchangeable lenses. The mounting base is a tad bit thicker than the Fairy but still...crazy bright when you use the right lens with the head in the right position.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
I like my Vertexes because the rest of my gear is all Whelen and I sync everything. I've found the brightness to be more than adequate; you just have to place them properly. They are definitely performing better than the CSP690 and strobe tubes they replaced.

cory y

May 21, 2010
Solvarex said:
I like my Vertexes because the rest of my gear is all Whelen and I sync everything. I've found the brightness to be more than adequate; you just have to place them properly. They are definitely performing better than the CSP690 and strobe tubes they replaced.

I find that hard to believe...

and sync everything :weird:

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
What about the HAW's on pse911's site? Don't know anything about the company or the products, but they are offering 60 WATT led HAW's that have good reviews on their page.

I just ordered a new 4 module dash light from them that I am going to do a review on. They were offering a memorial day sale so I figured I would give it a shot.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
cory y said:
I find that hard to believe...

and sync everything :weird:
Yeah, I sync everything and it looks like a warning signal, not a fugging nightclub on crack. Some "professional upfitter" you are. I bet you split same color lightheads too, don't ya? :rolleyes:

cory y

May 21, 2010
Solvarex said:
Yeah, I sync everything and it looks like a warning signal, not a fugging nightclub on crack. Some "professional upfitter" you are. I bet you split same color lightheads too, don't ya? :rolleyes:

Oh fuck off.

I dont like synced systems cause it does not have enough movement in the signal. everything on/off 50/50 is too plain and boring and IMO doesnt attract the eye enough

So because i have a difference in opinion, you have to attempt to insult me? try again kiddo

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
So are the Fenix Faries really that good? What's the longest that anyone who sells them had them test flashing, how hot do they get. What do they run each, and per pair. I actually contacted Fenix about a dealer account about 8 months ago or so, before I moved 300 miles. But I didn't hear back from them untill I decided to close my small one man show, move and not reopen, really sucks!!!

cory y

May 21, 2010
MEVS06 said:
So are the Fenix Faries really that good? What's the longest that anyone who sells them had them test flashing, how hot do they get. What do they run each, and per pair. I actually contacted Fenix about a dealer account about 8 months ago or so, before I moved 300 miles. But I didn't hear back from them untill I decided to close my small one man show, move and not reopen, really sucks!!!

Ive let one run for 8 hours, they do get warm but no warmer than a vertex does.

I've sold almost $9000 worth of faries alone. at 70-80 each

JCLG316

Sep 3, 2010
Reading, Pa
I got a total of 4 Axixtech LAW 2 in front and 2 in the rear. First off that is the way to go if you already have a strobe haw alls you have to do is unplug and plug in the law with the module on the other end and second they show up way better during the day time than my strobes ever did. and third they are cheap going around 147 for a pair.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
MEVS06 said:

Check out my review! these are my favorite HAWS!

http://www.elightbars.org/forums/f33/pic-heavy-feniex-fairy-light-emitting-diode-hideaways-torture-test-review-11685/

Keith K.

May 21, 2010
Western States
I think it depends on what your trying to achieve. Unidirectional or a narrow beam. C3 LED Optix hideaways can't be beat as far as brightness. The down side is they do not "fill" the reflector.

PSE911

Apr 22, 2011
USA, PA
Personally we have played with just about all the other major brands, but we still feel very strong that we have the current market place with our 30W led lightheads.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I use mainly vertex now. I used law but they blow and stop working thats why whelen stopped making them. I used a pair of SOS in blue and was unhappy with the color. The blue vertex is a much nicer blue. I would stick with the vertex untill somthing brighter comes out. I don't use strobes anymore. I'm a big led fan.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
cory y said:
The LAWs are the brightest, but are unavailable.

I currently really like the Feniex's they are damn nice

+1...

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Just to renew a debate because of Whelen traditionalist bring it up in Tom's thread... the vertex are old tech and outdated. The Fairies are no more. Mentioning FedSig in this debate is a joke. The SOS Undercovers seem to be the best law on the market out of the bigger traditional companies.

Several new asian made products have been released recently to include the SNM Surface Star and the AWL Burst. The Surface Star appears to be perfect for it's intended application. The Burst will probably be brighter than some of the older tech out there.

And the new Feniex Cannon LAW has come out crushing people. Does anyone have side by side pictures or video of said products?

The only one we have seen is the Cannon Vs the Fairy video and this picture of the Vertex next to the cannon VertexVSCannon.jpg

That shot was taken by Kenton in a dark basement with each LAW at the same angle (not pointed at the camera). The Vertex is that little spec of light to the left of the Cannon.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
Strobesnmore said:
He brightest LED is the one that works best for the customers intended application. The burst are the SNM ehaw1 relabeled.

How do you define relabeled? If Tom got it from you, then yeah, it's relabeled. But if you both happen to get it from the same company overseas, then it's not a re-label...it's the release of a light by Tom, that you happened to have gotten first.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I'm not gonna hijack tom's thread so I will reply here

Strobesnmore said:
What are you basing your claims on? Impartial side by side tests, actual first hand installs, or posts on a forum. If I had to offer only one LED hide a way it would be the vertex. One because its very bright and two because most customers have Whelen so they can sync them.

If this is in response to me, I have nothing against Whelen. I own some Whelen products. I hate their cost, but other than that they are great products. The only benefit to the the Vertex I see was the steady burn option and the synch to other whelen products. If a customer has whelen already on their car I'd recommend them for that purpose.

First hand INSTALL experience... the Vertex are weak compared to the SOS undercovers and the Feniex Fairy. The Cannon annihilates them all. I recently did about 7 cars for a local PD. The Vertex were already installed in the cars when they got them. They are damn near invisible during the day. The chief actually asked my install tech why we didn't install strobes in the headlights... he was shocked to find out there was something there.

I have no doubt the vertex will last and are solid products. But as of right now... they are outdated and not the cream of the crop when it comes to LAWS in my opinion. I have not had them side by side outside of a light housing in person with a Cannon. I'm pretty nuetral and honest when it comes to Whelen vs other products. I've said before that the Ion is about 5-10% brighter than the T-6. It's not a matter of being partial to one brand as it is just the honest first hand experience with Vertex.

Back when the vertex first came out. I saw a pair of split red/blue, I was not well educated on the lighting market. I thought they were the most awesome thing I ever seen and HAD to have a set. Not so much anymore.... now that i have more experience.

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
Definitely wasn't. I deal in the Sound Off and I just dont see what you are seeing. I was not impressed with the Fairy myself and am waiting for my cannons to arrive to check them out. I still think they one of the best selling LEDs and still one of the brightest. I am not at all a fan of dual color hide a way LEDs which is why we dont stock them. Louis

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Yeah... Ill agree... split color tiny light heads are horrible. Its amazing how much I've learned.

We can respectfully disagree. I think the biggest thing with the SOS's when i used them was the different lenses on them. Ultimately... you are right about one thing... placement. Every law is going to be a big fail if it does not have proper placement and no two LAWs can be placed in the same spot to achieve maximum efficiency with that particular law.

elite907

May 23, 2010
Indiana, USA
Ok I want to know now with all of the new lights on the market and the new ones coming out.

What is the brightest led haw for the bright sunlight ?

I want something that'll be just as bright and noticeable in the daytime.

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
What color do you need? May have a test set of our newest LEDs that I could give you a deal on.

To answer your question fairly the best LED would be one of the newer models and one that fits your housing properly. For example I have all Strobes N More hide a ways in my new Tacoma. 4 of them are the regular ones and 2 of them are the 35 degree as the housing was small with all curves. The 35 degree directed the light out of the housing better in that particular housing and gave me the best light output. On the other housings the regulars were able to be mounted directly next to the existing factory bulb and pointed straight out giving me the best output.

What is the make and model of your vehicle and have you looked at the housings you will be installing the leds into?

SnuffJ25

May 25, 2010
Penacook, NH
I have done multiple installations and have found that the Whelen Universal Hideaways (not the vertexs) are hands down the brightest. Lol, that's why they are $450+ for four, versus $280 for four vertexs.

Joe

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.