Best Ford Explorer POV! NEW DUAL COLOR SCENE LIGHTS TODAY!

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
****UPDATED**** as of February 6th, 2015
All emergency equipment is now in place and is as follows.

-FRONT-
1) Feniex Pegasus in solid red with takedowns, mounted with headliner brackets for 2012 Ford Explorer.

*Side note - Initially installed were two Feniex Cobra 2s dashlights in red/white, they have since been replaced by a Feniex Pegasus Lightbar.
     *Side note - Originally ordered were two Feniex Apollo 2x dashlights in dual color red/white, they have since been replaced by Feniex Cobra 2x's.
2) Feniex T-6 in solid red on drivers side grill, flush mounted into grill.

*Side note - Originally planned were two Feniex T-6s lightheads in split red/white.
3) Feniex T-6 in solid red on passengers side grill, flush mounted into grill.

*Side note - Originally planned were two Feniex T-6s lightheads in split red/white.

4) Feniex Cannon in solid white in drivers side turn signal, acts as wig-wags

5) Feniex Cannon in solid white in passengers side turn signal, acts as wig-wags

6) Code 3 Hide-A-Blast in solid red in drivers side headlight, acts as LAWs

7) Code 3 Hide-A-Blast in solid red in passengers side headlight, acts as LAWs
8) 2x Carson CSP-100B speakers driven by a Whelen 295SDA1 dual tone siren amplifier.

-SIDES-
1) Feniex Cobra 200 in red/white on drivers side rear window, mounted with double L bracket

2) Feniex Titan-X 200 10" 35° optics (flood version) on drivers side rear window

3) Feniex Cobra 200 in red/white on passengers side rear window, mounted with double L bracket

4) Feniex Titan-X 200 10" 35° optics (flood version) on passengers side rear window

5) Feniex T-6 in red/white on drivers side license plate bracket
6) Feniex T-6 in red/white on passengers side license plate bracket

7) Federal Signal Impaxx in pairs red/white on drivers side roof rack, mounted with L bracket

8) Federal Signal Impaxx in pairs red/white on passengers side roof rack, mounted with L bracket

-REAR-
1) Feniex Cobra 600 in red/amber/red/red/amber/red centered in the rear window, mounted with double L brackets

2) Feniex Cannons in solid red mounted in the rear turn signals

**Feniex Titan-X 600 29" 35° optics (flood version) centered in the rear window <<NEVER INSTALLED>>

-COMPARTMENT LIGHTING-
1) Feniex Cannons in dual color red/white on rear lift gate, mounted using Cannons flanges. (Mode 1 = Solid red, Mode 2 = Solid white)

DUAL TONE SIREN AND PEGASUS VIDEO HERE >>> VIDEO CLICK HERE <<<

NEW DUAL COLOR SCENE LIGHTS VIDEO HERE >>> VIDEO CLICK HERE <<<

2012 Ford Explorer Blueprint Top.jpg

My 2012 Ford Explorer Blueprint Front New.jpg

2012 Ford Explorer Blueprint Side.jpg

2012 Ford Explorer Blueprint Rear.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I think it looks good. I think a set of grill lights or a HLF would top it off nicely. Depending on what kind of area you respond through, intersection warning closer to the front would benefit you.

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
I have a pair of red/white Feniex Cannons I could use. My only two options are either in the fog lights or in the corner of the headlight assembly. Thoughts?

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
Where is a good place to put the brains of the Carson SC-1022 Siren? There's a spot in the rear truck area but that's a far stretch for the handheld controller. Under the seat is another option but with seating controls I doubt that would be a good idea. Inside the center console is very doubtful because it is so tiny. I am not sure if there is any room under the middle seating... guess I'll check that out tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input. KEEP IT COMING!

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
A couple thoughts...

- The price of two apollo 2Xs is only $140 away from a pegasus

- The 2xs in the third windows I think would be better of split up between the grill and intersection

- A Whelen or SoundOff handheld isn't a whole lot more money but offers a lot more capability 

- Go with a FedSig AS124 speaker instead of the carson

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
I agree with the Pegasus idea. The minimal price difference will make a huge difference as far as your setup! Also, you could add some grille lights for another level of warning. The Cannons would look good in the tail lights

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Pegasus wouldn't be a bad idea. I prefer the pegasus/cobra over the apollo personally. 

If you find a way to get cannons in the taillights on a NBS Explorer, I'd love a instructions. But they do look great in the reverse and turn signals in the rear.  

The Cobra 600 really fits like a glove on that back hatch. Whichever hand held you use, you will most likely want to keep it inside.  I know its tight in the explorer but I'm sure you can find a spot. i havn't seen the carson, so I'm not sure where to suggest.  Under a set is most ideal in most circumstances. 

Oh... and the pegasus/apollo lightbar frames really fits nicely on the explorer as well. 

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
A couple thoughts...

- The price of two apollo 2Xs is only $140 away from a pegasus

- The 2xs in the third windows I think would be better of split up between the grill and intersection

- A Whelen or SoundOff handheld isn't a whole lot more money but offers a lot more capability 

- Go with a FedSig AS124 speaker instead of the carson
The Apollos were picked because of the dual color capability. The volly didn't want an entire interior lightbar just a dashlight. It was a pain trying to get him to get two. He doesn't want grill lights because of the amount of time it takes to disassemble the grille and add the lights. Carson was picked because of the tones I think, personal preference.

If you find a way to get cannons in the taillights on a NBS Explorer, I'd love a instructions. But they do look great in the reverse and turn signals in the rear.  
What exactly is a NBS Explorer? We have a solid pair of cannons we could put in the turn signals and sync it to the Cobra 600. Do cannons sync to Cobras 600s?

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
The Apollos were picked because of the dual color capability. The volly didn't want an entire interior lightbar just a dashlight. It was a pain trying to get him to get two. He doesn't want grill lights because of the amount of time it takes to disassemble the grille and add the lights. Carson was picked because of the tones I think, personal preference.

What exactly is a NBS Explorer? We have a solid pair of cannons we could put in the turn signals and sync it to the Cobra 600. Do cannons sync to Cobras 600s?
I guess the Carson will work if he just needs basic switching, I would still go with a FedSig AS124 or even a Feniex Triton over the Carson speaker though. I think you need to try to sell him on some grill and intersection warning. Two dash lights is not adequate warning if responding with lights and a siren. 

NBS = New Body Style and I don't think you are able to sync cannons to a Cobra 600 but let FEVER or one of the other Feniex experts chime in on that aspect. 

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I guess the Carson will work if he just needs basic switching, I would still go with a FedSig AS124 or even a Feniex Triton over the Carson speaker though. I think you need to try to sell him on some grill and intersection warning. Two dash lights is not adequate warning if responding with lights and a siren. 

NBS = New Body Style and I don't think you are able to sync cannons to a Cobra 600 but let FEVER or one of the other Feniex experts chime in on that aspect.
Big ol' +1 to the above. At MINIMUM a HLF is needed if that's all they can afford. Simple plug and play in most installs anymore.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Yeah... the Cobra 600 won't synch with the cannons unless you have a dummy 600 and are using external flasher (but then you are most likely losing t/a functions if they are needed). 

Also as a note, on the Cobra 600. It is my personal preference not to have the Amber and Red together.  If amber can be avoided I would do that or do all amber with red ends. In my opinion, some of the brighter bars the red and amber can't be distinguished unless you are using a really slow pattern that alternates red to amber and not have them all on at once. 

Reactions: Pimp

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
Yeah... the Cobra 600 won't synch with the cannons unless you have a dummy 600 and are using external flasher (but then you are most likely losing t/a functions if they are needed). 

Also as a note, on the Cobra 600. It is my personal preference not to have the Amber and Red together.  If amber can be avoided I would do that or do all amber with red ends. In my opinion, some of the brighter bars the red and amber can't be distinguished unless you are using a really slow pattern that alternates red to amber and not have them all on at once. 
Thanks for sharing all of you information. Here's the pattern he anticipates on using to reflect the two different colors. (http://youtu.be/lRsqP7DTEjA?t=2m37s)

As far as intersection warning goes - he does not want to mount anything to the body of the vehicle. Trying to keep it as slick and clean as possible. Only wants to be known it's a FF vehicle when the lights are ON. I think the best option for intersection warning is mounting two Cannons red/white in the corner of the headlight assembly. For wigwags either buy a flasher or mount two cannons white in the fog lights on a slow patterns. Ideas????????????????????

Pictures will be posted soon, I promise! Keep the ideas and comments coming. This will be the best volly NBS Explorer install on eLightbars!

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Thanks for sharing all of you information. Here's the pattern he anticipates on using to reflect the two different colors. (http://youtu.be/lRsqP7DTEjA?t=2m37s)

As far as intersection warning goes - he does not want to mount anything to the body of the vehicle. Trying to keep it as slick and clean as possible. Only wants to be known it's a FF vehicle when the lights are ON. I think the best option for intersection warning is mounting two Cannons red/white in the corner of the headlight assembly. For wigwags either buy a flasher or mount two cannons white in the fog lights on a slow patterns. Ideas????????????????????

Pictures will be posted soon, I promise! Keep the ideas and comments coming. This will be the best volly NBS Explorer install on eLightbars!
We could technically build out a cobra 600 that would synch with the cannons, but you would be very limited on flash patterns (as far as which phase each light head is on) and you would not have the traffic advisor functions.   

That being said, the flash pattern in that video does not exist on the new bars.  For a list of current flash patterns, always refer to the Feniex site. http://www.feniex.com/product.php?prod_id=373&tab=pattern

In order to get that flash pattern, you would have to get the old controller (I think I have several still) 

Two white cannons could work in the fog lights. In order to get a wigwag for that vehicle you will have to go with the FISOS from ERM to do it right (go with the original axxixtech ripped him off in my opinion). 

You could get away with cannons in the corner lamps, but stay clear of the headlights themselves.  

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
I can tell from lots of personal experience and experimentation that anything you put in the back windows, behind tint will be suboptimal.  One day my boss and I tried everylight head we had - and we had a lot - and nothing could pop througgh that tint.  We opted to mount SOS under mirror intersectors on the back spoiler and it is a much better solution than anyting behind tint.  You'll have the same problem with the lights in the rear glass.

ai1202.photobucket.com_albums_bb374_ajp3jeh_2012_20Vehicles_Sl76e1f4b0b29193dfb577211a50651c0d.jpg

Reactions: VolEms

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL

It's very possible to be stealthy and still have a safe warning package. T6s on an intersection bracket is very discreet as are the Whelen PAR28 fog light replacements. The Ion Mirrorbeams are even very inconspicuous. 

http://youtu.be/Nt0-CInP86s?list=UUdQHrWMbsO4KU7lKukovHyw

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Lots of good ideas so far.  Personally I would go with an Pegasus over two dash lights.  Two duals both red/white would be to much white in my opinion.  I would do all red dash lights with a HLF.

I also agree with FEVER about the rear bar.  The red and amber will blend together like that.  Needs more separation.  In my truck I have a 600 in the rear window and Cannons in the reverse lights. I took the flasher out of the 600 and ran it to an external flasher and synced it with the Cannons.  At least around here most people do not know what the T/A means when they see it.

I had  Carson siren is simple and easy to  install. I now have a Whelen hand held.  It is more expensive but there are more options.  When I get bored its easy to change the tones.

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
The lights are mounted just not wired. I know I have seen threads on here that briefly show how to wires lights properly, fuse them, etc. I am not an expert at wiring out vehicles but I have done several small builds with lights. It usually consists of just an on/off switch and a small fuse. How would I wire up all the lights to the Carson 1022? Front lights would be on switch one and rear lights would be on switch two. Explain to me what I should do to wire this install properly the first time. What additional equipment might I need? Relays, fuses, wire gauges. Also which wires need to be connected to the battery and which wires need to be on a terminal block. A diagram would be great if you could sketch one up.

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
2012 Ford Explorer POV

***FRONT***

- Feniex Apollo 2x (Red/White)

***SIDES***

- Feniex Cobra 200s (Red/White)

***REAR***

- Feniex Cobra 600 (Red/Amber/Red/Red/Amber/Red)

***SIREN***

- Carson 1022 Volunteer Siren

- Carson CSP-100B Speaker

We still have to find or cut a hole into the firewall to run the primary wires to the battery. Might install some Cannons in the fog lights or the corner of the headlights and taillights.

***MODS - Please merge threads ()***

IMG_8453.JPG

IMG_8454.JPG

IMG_8455.JPG

IMG_8456.JPG

IMG_8457.JPG

IMG_8458.JPG

IMG_8459.JPG

IMG_8460.JPG

IMG_8461.JPG

IMG_8463.JPG

IMG_8464.JPG

IMG_8466.JPG

IMG_8444.JPG

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Looks good so far. Like all the feniex stuff. Maybe some Apollos on a intersection bracket yet?

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
There should be a grommet on the passenger side behind the glove box that goes behind the wheel well shroud. That is the Ford recommended way.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Looks good so far. I like the incorporation of amber to the rear, but I woulda gone with a RRAARR config.

As for the front, a HLF (now that there are a few options for them out there) and some grill lights would be nice. Unfortunately, that grill isn't very install friendly, so I generally only see ions on the bottom of the grill (a little low for my preference) but still nice to have

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
Where is a good place to install a speaker on the new body style Explorers? The space is VERY limited behind the grill and it is a pain in the butt to get to without dis-assembling the entire bumper. I still have yet to find a firewall hole that I can run the wires through. If I find a hole it is either at the very top of the dash, where I can access the hole from the hood or the hole is at the very bottom and I can only access the hole from inside under the dash. My options are really narrowing down on this install. All the lights are mounted in the right locations already and the lights are pre-wired to the "brains" of it all. Should I pay an installer to run the primary wires? IT IS SUCH A PAIN IN THE BUTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
****ADDED****

2x Feniex Cannons (Dual Color Red/White) as rear hatch/compartment lights.

Solid red is wired on mode 1 and solid white is wired on mode 2. Mode 3 is not enabled.

IMG_8521.JPG

IMG_8517.JPG

IMG_8518.JPG

IMG_8519.JPG

IMG_8520.JPG

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
Instead of the ugly metal toggle switch I went ahead and bought a Contura switch and painted the top and bottom with the respective colors: red and white

5.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
There has been only one issue so far. After test running the Feniex Cannons as solid colors for around 5-10 minutes the light go so hot that it burnt out some of the LEDs or something along those lines. I turned on the lights and let it sit for 5-10 minutes on solid white. Next thing I new the LEDs started blinking and would not stay solid. I quickly turned them off and let them cool down. I turned them on again this morning and now they work BUT one Feniex Cannons white LEDs are only working to half capacity/brightness. The red LEDs are at full brightness it is only the white LEDs in one Feniex Cannon that is not at full brightness. Anyone had previous experiences with this?

dawson75

May 20, 2010
OHIO
and the feniex heat issues raise their ugly head...

I have drilled little holes into the bezel to allow air to pass through. It helped a little but the units are not made to say on ( steady burn ) for long periods of time. It would be nice if they added a solid steady burn at half brightness to the patterns. They are great for this application but just to much heat for them. 

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
and the feniex heat issues raise their ugly head...

I have drilled little holes into the bezel to allow air to pass through. It helped a little but the units are not made to say on ( steady burn ) for long periods of time. It would be nice if they added a solid steady burn at half brightness to the patterns. They are great for this application but just to much heat for them.

IIRC thats why they came out with the 3-mode version, as they have that feature. Nic from FEVER should be able to tell you more than I about them

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
Any suggestions on how to add LED hide a ways to the headlights? They are dual walled and a pain to even think about mounting. We might ultimately just stick with the setup that was planned.

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
The one time I did it I drilled a 1-1/2" hole through the outer wall. Then the 1" needed on the inner. Mounted the lights. Then using a thin saw blade I cut a channel in the large disk that was cut put it back in place and added silicone to seal it all up. Not sure how that would work with those head lights though.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I always, always, always push people away from LAWS in headlights.  I especially push people away from getting cannons too close to the headlight bulbs in vehicles. The heat synch on the cannon sucks the heat from the headlight housing straight through cannons in addition to the heat the cannon puts out. 

but the villain has the right way to do it with double walled housings.

Reactions: JCS

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.