Best Ford Explorer POV! NEW DUAL COLOR SCENE LIGHTS TODAY!

JCS

Feb 10, 2013
Iowa
I, too, have recently been moving more toward a LAW in the turn signal rather than the normal HL area.

You isolate the reflection to that area, its usually smaller (we use F250/350's) so ours is large, but you don't have it washed out nearly as bad as if it were in the HL reflector. They are far more effective IMO.

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
Well I will go ahead and put a big "X" over the LAW idea.

Any heads up on the latest and or upcoming products from Feniex Industries? I would like to see dual color Cobras with 3 modes like the Cannons!

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Last i heard, there is no plans to tinker with the Cobras as they are.  They will stay single color.  

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
I did an install for a fire chief with a new Taurus, same style grille. A t6 fits perfect in the slat right above or below the center line of the grille. I used 3M auto grade mounting tape to hold it. They are flush mount to the face. Blend in nice. Will try and get pic
How did you mount the Feniex T-6s with 3M auto tape? Did you put one piece on the top and bottom of the T-6 or did you just tape it to the back of the light and onto the grill?

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
How did you mount the Feniex T-6s with 3M auto tape? Did you put one piece on the top and bottom of the T-6 or did you just tape it to the back of the light and onto the grill?
Just on the top. No bezel. It was a snug fit so it holds good. The face is flush with the grille face. I have to get a pic from the guy

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I would change the pattern on the rear stick. I don't like those patterns because they aren't very noticeable from a distance. A half and half pattern is what I would choose. 

I still think it needs additional lighting to the front. Maybe some Whelen fog light inserts or something like an Ion in the grill. Also, one of the ERM HLF would look good if it is legal for him to run one. 

Otherwise everything else looks good. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sean_quish

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
1) flash the rear lightstick so that you're alternating the outer 4 modules with the 2 inner modules (at a wigwag speed)

2) add solid red grill lights (your original plan called for split R/C) and HLF

3) add intersectors and call it a day

It's a nice explorer, but it just needs a few additions

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I know it's a PITA to remove the grill, but would you consider moving the grill lights higher up? Putting them in one of the 2 slats above the ford logo would be ideal, IMHO, & appear to be the same size spaces as the one where you currently have them mounted

nathanzx10r

Jul 12, 2014
Odessa, TX
I know it's a PITA to remove the grill, but would you consider moving the grill lights higher up? Putting them in one of the 2 slats above the ford logo would be ideal, IMHO, & appear to be the same size spaces as the one where you currently have them mounted
Or adding 2 more in the spot pdk9 was saying and keeping the ones you have there in place and sync

Reactions: FusionWolf

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
The spot you mentioned was my original plan but for some reason the slots above the Ford logo has a piece of black plastic covering the back of the slots up. I could have simply drilled a hole through it and ran the wires but I just opted to mount them lower instead. I might consider adding a set of Feniex T-6s to the top but as of right now I have already had plenty of one on one time with removing the front bumper. LOL.

Video will come shortly of the lights. Please bare with me.

Thanks for all the criticism and ideas. This was originally the finished product I had hoped for and do not have any more plans of adding lights although I might consider buying another siren amplifier instead of the Carson 1022 I currently have.

Here is the video with the added grill lights and intersection lights.

http://youtu.be/WS5x6aRs6uQ - Daytime video of lights

http://youtu.be/Po_6-_iJHmI - Nighttime video of lights

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I would triple flash the 2 grill lights together and add a HLF, as mentioned above. I would Flash the two red grill lights simultaneously, because HLFs IMO tend to wash out the grill lights at night unless they're flashing together.

Some simple adjustments I'd recommend are:

--Flipping over the passenger side cobra, so that both headliner lights have the clear modules toward the center (as TDs would be on a full size bar) & triple flash the headliner lights by alternating red with white

--my 2 suggestions from above (HLF and changing the rear lightstick pattern)

PS, I found it funny that you blurred out the front license plate in the video, yet there are a dozen close up pictures of the license plate in the grill assembly/lighting installation pics lol

nathanzx10r

Jul 12, 2014
Odessa, TX
What pattern would you suggest? I currently have it on the Double Combo but might consider the Single Fast flash pattern for the front grill lights.
Experiment, see what flash patterns look the best for your setup and provide the most warning power.  I would keep the reds and the whites in the grills flashing the same color at the same time as to not make ya pink at longer distances.

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
PS, I found it funny that you blurred out the front license plate in the video, yet there are a dozen close up pictures of the license plate in the grill assembly/lighting installation pics lol
I might take in consideration some of the ideas you gave. I only did that in the video for other YouTubers. I don't mind showing it off to the ELB members :p

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
With a headlight flasher I would set the grille lights to a triple or quad flash so there more on time.  Then the HLF won't wash out the grille lights so much.

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
Since the Explorer is all Feniex I hate to install Whelen lights on it but I really want flashing fog lights.

Which color warning fog lights looks better? Red or White

Whelen 3.5" Round Super LED Lighthead

PART NUMBERS:

PAR28C = All White

PAR28DR = Red/White Fog *This color combination does not have the SYNC feature. External flasher is required in order for lights to SYNC.

An external flasher is required for both units in order to achieve the purpose I want. Purpose 1: Fog Lights, Purpose 2: SYNC'd Warning Lights

2012 Ford Explorer Blueprint Front Red Fog Lights.jpg

2012 Ford Explorer Blueprint Front White Fog Lights.jpg

Mar 25, 2014
Saint Louis, MO
Since the Explorer is all Feniex I hate to install Whelen lights on it but I really want flashing fog lights.

Which color warning fog lights looks better? Red or White

Whelen 3.5" Round Super LED Lighthead

PART NUMBERS:

PAR28C = All White

PAR28DR = Red/White Fog *This color combination does not have the SYNC feature. External flasher is required in order for lights to SYNC.

An external flasher is required for both units in order to achieve the purpose I want. Purpose 1: Fog Lights, Purpose 2: SYNC'd Warning Lights
I would use the PAR28DR. I replaced my factory fog lights with the PAR28DB in my Charger. Then set the warning mode to steady burn and used a Sho-Me 11.1005 flasher I had laying around. When I completed the install I was suprised to find out that if I had my fog lights on, it would flash both of the white fog light and the blue warning light. And if I didn't want the fog lights to flash with the blue lights I just turned off the fog lights using the factory switch. I hope that makes since, if not I will make a youtube video and add a link.

JohnFireFan

Jan 29, 2012
Louisiana
I would use the PAR28DR. I replaced my factory fog lights with the PAR28DB in my Charger. Then set the warning mode to steady burn and used a Sho-Me 11.1005 flasher I had laying around. When I completed the install I was suprised to find out that if I had my fog lights on, it would flash both of the white fog light and the blue warning light. And if I didn't want the fog lights to flash with the blue lights I just turned off the fog lights using the factory switch. I hope that makes since, if not I will make a youtube video and add a link.
A video would be great!

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
If you want to stick with Feniex, why not stick use dual color cannons for replace the fog lights? It would be about the same price of the Whelen's, it might require a bit more work and some assembly. I added the cannons to the fog light area of the local pd's vehicles that I did this year and everyone loves them because it looks like it was a factory option.

Mar 25, 2014
Saint Louis, MO
If you want to stick with Feniex, why not stick use dual color cannons for replace the fog lights? It would be about the same price of the Whelen's, it might require a bit more work and some assembly. I added the cannons to the fog light area of the local pd's vehicles that I did this year and everyone loves them because it looks like it was a factory option.
That's what I did originally in my vehicle but it didn't, IMO, put out as much light.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I am a big Feniex fan but if I could use Whelen PAR's as my fogs/warning or Cannons I would go with the PAR's. I had them in my old Explorer. Great lights. I had white for fogs and all red for warning. They were ran to a ULF44.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.