C3 NOS SD W/ Video... Need INFO ???

Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME
Just bought this Suposably NOS Code 3 SD.... I hope it looks as good when it shows up as it dose in the photo's

It finally Showed up sure enough it is NOS but........... When i powered the bad boy up it rotates but it only lights up to the front and sides and they shut off when the lights are facing the rear and middle. Is this rare or broken ?

1925116_10201868905349886_2106098562_n.jpg

10154544_10201868905509890_251002991_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
Wow that's the cats' ass!! :D :yes:

Todd

Lyle

Oct 28, 2012
Maine
I have a pair of those in Amber ((( NOWHERE near NOS ))) :sadcry:

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
Had 2 of those with R/W bulbs mounted at the top of the box on the rear of the first ambulance I ever drove in the late 70's and early 80's. You could see them for miles before you ever got to it. Great light and great find!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Very nice. Is it the magnetic model? I had one with the magnetic mount that I used temporarily on our '70 high top Suburban ambulance back in the mid-80s, until we got the permanent lights on top. Worked out well, too.

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
These were models that would mount to rear stanchions on top of backs of fire trucks. They are designed to flash to rear and side and stay out of rear view mirrors. I have 2 like this. It uses a split hot pad that the bulbs rotate on. Mine has the ability to either be front, rear, or all.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
That is a very cool feature! Thank you for posting a video up of it so we could all see what you were talking about. Nice find indeed.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
That is a cool feature. Not only is it in awesome shape, but it has a hard-to-find function as well :thumbsup: !

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Nice catch there! As Ryan said, the contact plates have the ability to be changed around and whatnot for different flash directions, so I'd do a little poking around inside the thing and see what it's capable of.

Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME
lotsofbars said:
Nice catch there! As Ryan said, the contact plates have the ability to be changed around and whatnot for different flash directions, so I'd do a little poking around inside the thing and see what it's capable of.

Already had it apart and inspected it. I noticed on the hot plate or pad what ever is called it divided into 4 sections and only 2 of them are soldered together to make the front and side flash.

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
I wonder if there was a greater frequency of sealed-beam burnout with the constant on-off action of the SelectAlert feature. Either way, Code 3 was really ahead of their time with that. Also... amazing find!!

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I don't think the bulbs would fail faster with them going on/off. It's like an early version of a rear cutoff function.

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
CrownVic97 said:
I don't think the bulbs would fail faster with them going on/off. It's like an early version of a rear cutoff function.

Everything I've read on sb bulbs indicates flashing on off doesn't contribute negatively to hours of life unless flash rate allows bulb to completely go dark in between and then only nominally. Nice bar fo'sho! I like that feature too.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.