cal spec model 14

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
just in testing phase.. it walked in seized up d.o.a at 6:00 pm , not bad so far but i will be needing an nos clear 14.. anyone??

Last edited:

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
yes we will accept any red/amber split dome that needs a home. anyone ever run a 14 dome thru a bandsaw?? its starting to look like a viable idea..

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Ryan, one of our members used to manufacture split Federal Domes, but no longer does. Not as easy as you might think. His were perfect, but the process was intricate and expensive to set up.

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
only practice i have in that feild was cutting vector inner filters in half and that worked out, but id imagine the 14 mite be prone to cracking as your cutting. id really hate to waste a good dome but no risk no reward..

Reactions: denko3

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Those red domes and amber domes are still available. A fast-moving band saw blade with a high-count pitch just over-center gets you 2 split domes! I've had good luck with #3 or #4 acrylic cement to hold it all together. Polish the edges though, to make the mating surfaces flat... These may not be as perfect as the factory units or the units no longer produced, but this IS a frakenbeacon project...
Exactly! Any 7-11 should have these right on the shelf!

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
You will have to create a jig so that each Dome is precisely in the same position. When cutting something that is round in half a slight difference in position and the edges will not line up because the widths will be different.

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
mars light.. if you would be willing to sell that half amber please let me know. as far as the jig is concerned im thinking two straight edges on either side of dome and let it ride..

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Two things you have to account for. One is the flexibility that will be created as the blade passes through the first half. If the gap created by the blade closes at all as the blade passes through the last section of the lens, then it will be uneven and you will not have a smooth edge to seal. The other is chatter if the lens starts to bounce with the blade as it gets towards the end as well. I make gun boxes and I make them whole then cut the tops off for a good fit. It's the same thing. It takes extra effort to get a perfect cut passing across a blade. You need to design something so the blade passes through the secured object. Not going to be easy.

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
When I created my split domes I used a 5d CNC machine. The domes were placed in a fixture that cost almost $300 to make. I also had one for 184 domes. I used programming to cut a 1/16" blade width 1-16" over center. This gave me a big side and small side. You mate a big and small and viola. Sometimes you would get a sneeze or hiccup and a side of the dome was junk. But 75% it worked out for two splits. I had to charge about $100 for each dome just to pay myself back.

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
thank you for that info sir. still moving some machines around in the shop so mite take a few days but im in to try it. will post either way.

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Or, cut from the top down...less dealing with the radii to potentially goof-up something...
Ryan should just get back into it (hint-hint, nudge-nudge, wink-wink).

One other thought...how's about acquire a 4" and a 5" hole saw. 4" for the red lens, 5" for the donor amber lens. Put the amber piece behind the 4" opening, glue in-place...how cool would THAT be? Just like a CTS cut-out but on a 14 dome! maybe add a cruise light under there that would light-up red? I'm just getting ahead here...

Reactions: Maxim2Eng

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
now your just making it easy wheres the fun in that. red will show up fine under amber but it just wont look right on the bar next to blue. but all ideas are greatly appreciated.

Reactions: 894

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Water jetting works excellent. I have used this process before, but not sure if it can be done with such a tall dome. When something is cut with the jet is usually a flat object.

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
very good looking work on all the lights for sure if i can pull off a job as half as nice id be happy.

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
alright so i found a clear 14 dome in the shed so this is how the light will sit until i tackel making a r/a split.. or if someone decides to make some for sale. still sourcing correct color bulbs. but it gives you the general idea

Last edited by a moderator:

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Definitely going to build one of those split domes... gotta couple of cracked/busted units that're useless, otherwise. Maybe I'll even put-together one of these Cal-Spec Model 11's.

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
wanted to mount this on a bar with a blue mate but id rather display it facing L/R showing both halfs. maybe mount some magnets and tell everyone its a throw light for sgt. big hands..

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.