Can I use flashing Amber, White, and blue lights on car in Texas?

brandonmartin.tech

Jan 27, 2023
Texas
I am starting a roadside assistance business and I cannot get a clear answer from anywhere about what lights I can and cannot use.

I am wanting to know if I am aloud to use white, Amber, and blue flashing lights on my vehicle while on the road doing service calls? I see other vehicles having them but I just want to get some clarification before I walk into something that I can’t get out of.

Reactions: RL1

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
Texas Transportation Code 547 is a good place to start ... but some of it goes back to Vernon's Civil Statutes based in the 1926 Federal Recommendations.

TXDOT and State Law allow working vehicles on the highway to have Amber and Blue lights. State Law allows Security vehicles to have Amber, White, or Green lights.

Many, many, Private worker vehicles display these lights, too, while moving in a construction area or stationary. It is common and understood ... you've seen them.

"Mounted" may be an issue with an Inspection, or maybe not. Either way it can not interfere with the normal lights that came on your car when it was built. Hella Hero may be a problem, if anyone actually notices, for example.

In other words, no Red; still valid; everything else, if actually warning of something and not trying to do some official action to which you are not entitled, is fine.

There are wreckers loaded with every LED in every color they could find, but no one expects to get stopped by a wrecker, and as long as we don't get run over it is just fine. Tollway folks use some crazy colors but they actually own the road, so whatever.

Reactions: RL1 and tsquale

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Ask a police department in Texas as they should know the laws about the lights and what you can and cannot use.
I have found the state police / highway patrol in most states seem to be more up to date on vehicle equipment, rules, regulations and laws, than the average police department. There's also the issue of what is actually allowed and what is commonly accepted. Many local police departments seem to quote what is commonly accepted, not what is technically allowed.

In Ohio we have quite a few non-emergency vehicles with red flashing lights to the rear. If you go to the letter of the law underneath the hazard flashers section, you could technically squeeze in red warning lights, but the caveat is they have to flash simultaneously. There are a decent number of construction and tow vehicles with rear hideaways that are red and alternate. Depending on who they are and what they're doing it's very unlikely they will be hassled about it. On the other hand, we had a problem with some local amateur radio enthusiasts and the letter of the law was absolutely enforced.

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
On the other hand, we had a problem with some local amateur radio enthusiasts and the letter of the law was absolutely enforced.

It's because of these ARES/RACES or whatever other phony balogna alphabet-soup wannabes that I don't have amateur radio license plates with my calls... and because I'm not 65, either, I suppose. But mostly because of the hi-vis vest whacker squad.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
I am ARES/ AUXCOMM under 2 county EMAS and none of my vests say ARES on them... and in my state all HAM tags have "EMERGENCY" on them.. your mileage must vary

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
My POV was a legitimate emergency vehicle under the Texas code. I had red, blue, white and amber (for different scenarios). That said, I was nailed by a small town cop for having reflective material other than red on my car.

Dave F

Sep 13, 2015
Berks County, PA
My POV was a legitimate emergency vehicle under the Texas code. I had red, blue, white and amber (for different scenarios). That said, I was nailed by a small town cop for having reflective material other than red on my car.

I’m sure the fact they were all of those colors all at the same time with every other color spectrum, I hear JDI dubs it

“white”

had nothing to do with it

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

From my trip to Texas years ago.... I still never figured out exactly what the vehicle randomly flashing blue on the highway was, but it certainly made me realize that Texas has its own rules for things including lights.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.