Cencom Sapphire Bench Test Setup

lightsNsounds

Jan 12, 2013
IL
Dear forum members,

I am in the process of constructing a benchtop station to test the functionality of the cencom Sapphire before install, but I am experiencing some problems.. I will try to be as descriptive as possible:

1) connected the main 100amp power harness to a 12v power supply

2) jumped the ignition wire to turn the cencom on

3) connected the controller to the ethernet port

The problem Im having is that the controller isn't powering up.. is there something Im missing?

P.S. the cencom and controller have both been tested to verify their functionality in a vehicle.

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
Try hooking it up to a battery instead of a power supply.

lightsNsounds

Jan 12, 2013
IL
EMT-BLS said:
You need to connect Pin 14 (ignition) to power.

I'm sorry if my description was confusing, but that was my second step.. the Pwr light on the back of the cencom is on, so I know the cencom is receiving power.. but thanks for the help, that pin14 is something that is often missed =]

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
So what exactly happens? You plug the two reds to power, two black to ground, and Pin 14 to power (continuous). What does the system do?

lightsNsounds

Jan 12, 2013
IL
Specifically, I need to verify the functionality of outputs: 4,5,6, & 7. As long as I can get the LEDs on the top of the cencom to light up, I know I'm in business.

lightsNsounds

Jan 12, 2013
IL
EMT-BLS said:
So what exactly happens? You plug the two reds to power, two black to ground, and Pin 14 to power (continuous). What does the system do?

I get nothing. Typically when you turn the controller on or inbetween functionalities it makes a beeping sound, I dont even get that. I called whelen and they said that it had something to do with the cencom looking for a whelen lightbar. Which kinda makes sense since the WC light blinks on the rear of the cencom. I just don't know how to go about tricking the cencom if that in fact is the problem

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
lightsNsounds said:
I get nothing. Typically when you turn the controller on or inbetween functionalities it makes a beeping sound, I dont even get that. I called whelen and they said that it had something to do with the cencom looking for a whelen lightbar. Which kinda makes sense since the WC light blinks on the rear of the cencom. I just don't know how to go about tricking the cencom if that in fact is the problem

That does not make sense because I am using the sapphire on my new vehicles and I do not have a wc lightbar hooked to it.

lightsNsounds

Jan 12, 2013
IL
fleetcomm said:
That does not make sense because I am using the sapphire on my new vehicles and I do not have a wc lightbar hooked to it.

I knew the guy was blowing smoke, but figured I'd post it up anywayz

Keith K.

May 21, 2010
Western States
On page 4 of the instillation manual.

Step 4 - "IMPORTANT: The CenCom module case must be either mounted on, or grounded to the vehicle chassis."

I can't say for sure, but maybe this is the problem?

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
I just bench tested a new cen com sapphire unit and it does not need the case grounded. My unit workes fine on the bench hooked to a power supply and here is a crude set up just to show you. DSC02443.jpg

lightsNsounds

Jan 12, 2013
IL
fleetcomm said:
I just bench tested a new cen com sapphire unit and it does not need the case grounded. My unit workes fine on the bench hooked to a power supply and here is a crude set up just to show you. View attachment 46524

Perfect! So it does not require the lightbar to be connected (as was our assumption). But just out of curiosity, does the unit function without all the other connectors and simply jumping a wire from the main pwr harness to the remote pin? It seems like you have the perfect setup for a quick check :undecided:

aacosta367

Sep 18, 2012
North Jersery
This might help you, but run through check ist

1. check for a good ground.

2. Also check your power not with a test light but with a Voltage checker

3. Make your using correct wire gauge for the unit power supply

pm me any question have that unit install in my truck

lightsNsounds

Jan 12, 2013
IL
aacosta367 said:
This might help you, but run through check ist
1. check for a good ground.

2. Also check your power not with a test light but with a Voltage checker

3. Make your using correct wire gauge for the unit power supply

pm me any question have that unit install in my truck

The unit doesn't necessarily need to be grounded (as proven by fleetcomm)

All measurements are taken by a multimeter

Wiring gauges have been verified.

All great points though.. I really appreciate any help/insight on this matter, no matter how small. Seeing as how the simplest mistakes are often overlooked.

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
lightsNsounds said:
Perfect! So it does not require the lightbar to be connected (as was our assumption). But just out of curiosity, does the unit function without all the other connectors and simply jumping a wire from the main pwr harness to the remote pin? It seems like you have the perfect setup for a quick check :undecided:

the wires I have hooked up are the (14) red/black wire, the (7) white/black, the two 50 amp red and the two ground wires. I would also check the programing to make sure load management has not been set for a voltage higher than you are working with.

lightsNsounds

Jan 12, 2013
IL
fleetcomm said:
the wires I have hooked up are the (14) red/black wire, the (7) white/black, the two 50 amp red and the two ground wires. I would also check the programing to make sure load management has not been set for a voltage higher than you are working with.

Pin 7 (backlight imput)? That's gotta be it! I shall try it when I return to work tomorrow and let you know.

lightsNsounds

Jan 12, 2013
IL
fleetcomm said:

I went ahead and hooked up pin14 and no change :mad:

I was wrong earlier in my description of the diagnostic LEDs,

Pwr = solid

Wc = off

Err = blinking 3 times (which isnt in the manual)

Im starting to get frustrated with what should have been a simple project

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith K.

May 21, 2010
Western States
You stated that both the amp and head checked ok on a vehicle. Is your power supply providing adequate voltage? What is the rated output in amps for continuous duty?

lightsNsounds

Jan 12, 2013
IL
Keith K. said:
You stated that both the amp and head checked ok on a vehicle. Is your power supply providing adequate voltage? What is the rated output in amps for continuous duty?

Correct. Both check out..

Actual voltage: 12.6v

Rated at 5Ah

Keith K.

May 21, 2010
Western States
lightsNsounds said:
Correct. Both check out..
Actual voltage: 12.6v

Rated at 5Ah

Is the head to amp cable damaged?

If you have everything hooked up in the manner that has been described above and both parts work in a vehicle, I'd suspect that there is an issue with your power supply. I've had bench top power supplies fail to provide adequate current, but still provide a good 12v signal. If you have another DC power supply, I'd try bench testing your system on that to rule out a bad power supply.

Last edited by a moderator:

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Where does the Glock come into play with bench testing? Mag dump when it doesn't work? :)

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
rwo978 said:
Where does the Glock come into play with bench testing? Mag dump when it doesn't work? :)

It is the equivalent of a bigger hammer. no, I had just gotten my new 30S glock that day.

May 21, 2010
California
Did you ever get this working? Just reload the default program... step 2 in troubleshooting a programmable unit of any kind..

Use the latest software..

Who knows what was in there before..

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
has anyone figured the problem out. i am going thru the same thing i tried everything and nada.\

the first trouble light is blinking saying check wecan lightbar

now i am goetting a wecan lightbar but it isnt in yet the liberty is on backorder so i wanted to try everything else to make sure im good and i can even do that. is there a way of turing offf the wecan controller in the system so i can use it as a normal unit? i looked in programming found nothing unless im over looking it??

please help thanks

May 21, 2010
California
carguy411 said:
has anyone figured the problem out. i am going thru the same thing i tried everything and nada.\
the first trouble light is blinking saying check wecan lightbar

now i am goetting a wecan lightbar but it isnt in yet the liberty is on backorder so i wanted to try everything else to make sure im good and i can even do that. is there a way of turing offf the wecan controller in the system so i can use it as a normal unit? i looked in programming found nothing unless im over looking it??

please help thanks

There should be no reason it is not working... the error light will not make the rest of the unit not function - so it is something else - by default the unit shows up with a program that includes a bar.. if no bar is attached it will error but all other outputs should work.

Is the unit new?

What is hooked up to what?

Have photos?

Are the power and main large gauge output wires attached to the correct connectors? Many people mix these up and the unit will not work - best way to tell is two LED's will be lit on the ARM, but nothing will work.

SHOF

Mar 10, 2013
IN
IMO it has to be a wiring issue. Check all wire connections. Then double check. Then triple check with the manual. I have never had any issues with a Cencom.

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
It's brand new out if box. I have 2 8 ga red to 12v red/ black ign to 12v 2 10 ga black to ground even tried grounding case. And have controller plugged in doesn't even lite up or anything. But it takes the program i confirmed that with the timed output feature

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
That doesn't work either no buttons work slide switch I get no response from the controller at all.

SHOF

Mar 10, 2013
IN
Do you have the ignition wire hooked up? I believe it is red/black. It has to have 12v for the unit to work.

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
It almost seems like the controlle head isn't responding. But the brain is. I'm stuck Whelen hotline only is open during the week??

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benny22

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.