CHP Ford Explorers

Reno911

Sep 15, 2012
Southern Oregon
Kevin K. said:
If I'm not mistaken, the LED fog lights were added to serve as the wig-wags in place of the HLF.

Fords wiring harness makes it impossible to do a HLF. Shops couldn't do it on my dads 2011 expedition either.

FireMedic19

May 8, 2012
Vermilion, Ohio
Reno911 said:
Fords wiring harness makes it impossible to do a HLF. Shops couldn't do it on my dads 2011 expedition either.

Are you sure? My local PDs explorers have headlight wigwags.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
GTIdriver said:
You will not find the name "Explorer" anywhere on this vehicle... hahah Ford Police Interceptor Utility !! :)

Nor will you find the name 'Taurus" or 'Volvo' on the vehicle, yet the Utility is still an Explorer, that shares majority of it's parts with the Taurus, which is built from a Volvo platform.

:thumbsup:

GTIdriver

Jun 17, 2013
San Diego CA.
HILO said:
Nor will you find the name 'Taurus" or 'Volvo' on the vehicle, yet the Utility is still an Explorer, that shares majority of it's parts with the Taurus, which is built from a Volvo platform.

:thumbsup:

As of 2009 Ford no longer owns any part of Volvo.

These Interceptor Utility vehicles sure drive awesome for an SUV, infact almost sports car like. I spent an entire day driving the Utility and Sedan models. The modified suspension, AWD, stability control, curve control, electronic assist steering, bigger brakes/calipers/pistons. Even a 6 speed transmission, compared to a 1980's 4 speed in the Crown Vic. The computer has been re-mapped for police pursuit driving. Ford sure did listen to cops and made an amazing and much more safer vehicle. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Reno911 said:
Ok I guess you can then. CHP probably found using the fog lights as less of a liability than tapping into the headlight wiring. Ford wiring harness's are very different now, some wires being multi-use too.

With the new Taurus and Explorer PPV's it is not a wiring issue, the headlights are projector beams, it is the moving reflector that prohibits a HLF. The last generation Explorers as well as Expiditions have a wiring issue that prohibits HLF.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
GTIdriver said:
As of 2009 Ford no longer owns any part of Volvo.
. :)

Be that as it may, it is a proven fact that the Taurus and Explorer use the same platform as the Volvo. Volvo designed the P2 platform in 1998 right before Ford bought them. Ford called it a D3 and has used it since 2005. The D4 platform is a D3 (which is a Volvo P2) with extra bracing added for SUV/crossover use. So yes, the 2013 Explorer is a Volvo at its base. Just like the Dodge Charger, Chrysler 300, and Dodge Magnum LX platform is from the 1996 and up E class Mercedes. The AWD system on LX platforms are Mercedes as well.

Ford no longer owns Range Rover, yet the new Envoque has a 2.0 Ecoboost directly from Ford. :eek:

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
GTIdriver said:
These Interceptor Utility vehicles sure drive awesome for an SUV, infact almost sports car like. I spent an entire day driving the Utility and Sedan models. The modified suspension, AWD, stability control, curve control, electronic assist steering, bigger brakes/calipers/pistons. Even a 6 speed transmission, compared to a 1980's 4 speed in the Crown Vic. The computer has been re-mapped for police pursuit driving. Ford sure did listen to cops and made an amazing and much more safer vehicle. :)

Now they need to put the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 out of the Explorer Sport in the PI Utility. Then it would *really* be sports-car like.

GTIdriver

Jun 17, 2013
San Diego CA.
tvsjr said:
Now they need to put the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 out of the Explorer Sport in the PI Utility. Then it would *really* be sports-car like.

I agree, the Eco Boost motor option is currently available in the sedan, however not many agencies seem to be going with the Eco Boost 3.5L 365HP !! However the 3.7L V6 currently in the Utility is still a good 305HP compared to only 250HP from a 4.6L V8, in the old and outdated Crown Vic.

I guess maybe in 2015 it will be an option? Who knows.....But after driving the sedan with the Eco Boost....I can tell ya it's a like a rocket. Almost makes me wanna go and buy a Taurus SHO. The combo of AWD and 365HP, is quite an impressive drive !!

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
GTIdriver said:
I agree, the Eco Boost motor option is currently available in the sedan, however not many agencies seem to be going with the Eco Boost 3.5L 365HP !! However the 3.7L V6 currently in the Utility is still a good 305HP compared to only 250HP from a 4.6L V8, in the old and outdated Crown Vic.

I guess maybe in 2015 it will be an option? Who knows.....But after driving the sedan with the Eco Boost....I can tell ya it's a like a rocket. Almost makes me wanna go and buy a Taurus SHO. The combo of AWD and 365HP, is quite an impressive drive !!

I suspect they won't offer it for one of two reasons. Either fuel economy (CAFE), or the challenges of getting the pursuit rating on an SUV with that much zoom-zoom under the hood.

Go drive an Explorer Sport if you have the opportunity. For a stock SUV, it's pretty damned impressive - 0-60 in the low 6s. I'm afraid the 3.7 would feel anemic by comparison - it's rated at 304hp @ 6250RPM and 279lb-ft @ 4000RPM. The 3.5EB variant is 365hp @ 5500RPM and 350lb-ft @ 3,500RPM. But, if you graph torque vs. RPM, you'll discover that the EB's torque curve is nearly flat - it delivers 90% of its torque from 2K upwards. If you really want to have fun, tweak the computer a bit and you can easily make 400hp.

Unfortunately, it's still a little small for me (I'm 6'3 235 - I fit better in F150s) and the way the rear cargo area is built, with the door so much higher than the floor, is a real killer. Once you add a TruckVault of any decent capacity, you would have very little space in the back and would nearly block the rear window.

Maybe Ford will re-do the Expedition some day and build an Interceptor variant from it, to go head-to-head with the Tahoe PPV...

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
tvsjr said:
Maybe Ford will re-do the Expedition some day and build an Interceptor variant from it, to go head-to-head with the Tahoe PPV...

isnt the Interceptor Utility currently going 'head-to-head' with the Tahoe PPV ?

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Storm4200 said:
isnt the Interceptor Utility currently going 'head-to-head' with the Tahoe PPV ?

I do not think the Explorer and the Tahoe are on the same page. The Tahoe is RWD, body on frame, and big. The Explorer is FWD/AWD, car based unibody, and smaller than a Tahoe. The Tahoe offers more cargo room, and more interior room. As far as the Explorer and Tahoe PPV use, it becomes a matter of choice. Some things that an agency will look at:

Initial cost of vehicle with upfitting=Explorer with a small advantage.

Fuel Economy=Explorer

Speed, top end, handling-Explorer (empty)

Interior and cargo=Tahoe

Durability and life of vehicle-Tahoe

Resale=Tahoe

The Explorer, once loaded with push bumper, console, MDC, partition, weapons vault, and lights, will become weighed down and have reduced air stream. This will seriously affect acceleration and top end. The Tahoe is bigger, and already weighs more from the factory, and with the same equipment added, will have acceleration and top end reduced as well. Keep in mind, the Tahoe has a V8, so even being reduced, it will be quicker than the Explorer.

So doing an apple to apple comparison of the Tahoe and Explorer PPV is not logical, as they are really different vehicles with different expectation. Kind of like putting an Impala PPV against a Hemi Charger Pursuit. Both are 4 door pursuit rated sedans, but you do not expect an Imapala to run with a Hemi Charger.

Just looking at size and engine, the Tahoe is alone. The Explorer PPV is also alone in the mid size crossover/mid size SUV PPV market, because the Durango is an SSV not pursuit rated.

Police Pursuit Vehicle Classes

V6 Sedan-Chevrolet Caprice V6, Chevrolet Impala PPV, Ford Taurus Interceptor, Dodge Charger Pursuit V6.

V8 Sedan-Chevrolet Caprice V8, Dodge Charger Pursuit V8.

Cross Over/Mid Sized SUV-Ford Explorer Interceptor.

Full Size SUV-Chevrolet Tahoe PPV.

Special Service Vehicle Class

Truck- Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban, Dodge Durango SSV, Ram 1500 SSV, Ford Expidition SSV.

I doubt Ford will do a PPV Expidition, just for cost reasons. The money needed to develop and test a PPV for a already low volume vehicle would far exceede the return.

GTIdriver

Jun 17, 2013
San Diego CA.
hmmm I just noticed in a few of these rear view pics that the "POLICE INTERCEPTOR" badge on the left rear is missing? On the right the "FLEX FUEL/AWD" badge is present though? I wonder whats up with that? Maybe someone peeled it off? Interesting.....

STT Installer

May 28, 2010
Idaho
lafd55 said:
RANGRs.... I didn't think they were still in use anymore, mostly because they are not Narrowband Compliant.

Surprised no one caught this sooner...

Narrowbanding did not affect low band users, only 150-512 MHz.

Granted the RANGR is uber old school and has since been replaced by the Kenwood deck in the trunk.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
dawson75 said:
look an aweful lot like the building that CHiPs was made?

Some of the scenes were shot at the actual CHP Central underneath the Santa Monica Freeway. The station has since been demolished and I believe a new one built. The address is/was 777 W. Washington Blvd, Los Angeles, CA.

mfpd465

Jul 18, 2010
Cartersville, GA
Station 3 said:
Looks like a TX DPS parking lot i saw a picture of not to long ago full of those SUVs

WHICH i am currently in the market of buying my own personal civilian version one right now in all wheel drive

Way I understood it when Ford first started designing these vehicles is that there would be no civvie versions so that Law Enforcement would finally have a vehicle that could be seperated from civilans buying. However i also know that that will not stop people from buying the retired ones as they retired but.....

Reno911

Sep 15, 2012
Southern Oregon
mfpd465 said:
Way I understood it when Ford first started designing these vehicles is that there would be no civvie versions so that Law Enforcement would finally have a vehicle that could be seperated from civilans buying. However i also know that that will not stop people from buying the retired ones as they retired but.....

Chevrolet Caprice is fleet only right now.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
mfpd465 said:

How could you have understood that? Parked side by side, the average person will not be able to tell the difference from the PPV Taurus or Explorer. The PI Sedan is a Taurus SHO with less retail options and a few LE specific amenities like wider swing doors, and different seats. Put equally skilled drivers in a PI and a SHO, and they will stay on top of each other. The Explorer PPV has a 3.7 liter over the ettretail 3.5, for now. Both have specially tuned and cooled AWD systems that are better for LE work than the retail version.

The Tahoe PPV is really different from the retail Tahoe, mostly for the suspension, but the average person will not notice much difference from a retail Tahoe.

The only PPV on the market that is a stand alone LE only vehicle is the Chevrolet Caprice. There is no retail Caprice. Chevrolet will start selling a Chevy SS, which is a 4 door V8 RWD sports sedan, but it will not look anything light the Caprice.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
I thought I read somewhere, maybe even on here, is that Holden is no longer going to be rebadging and sending the Caprice over to the USA after 2014. :(

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
RyanZ71 said:
I thought I read somewhere, maybe even on here, is that Holden is no longer going to be rebadging and sending the Caprice over to the USA after 2014. :(

That is the word out of GM land. All North American Zeta platform cars will be built in North America, most in Canada, within the next couple of years. The Camaro is a zeta car, and built in Canada.

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
RyanZ71 said:

We get a car for two years and that's it!? What the hell. What a waste of money for us to buy caprice and then have to yet again switch our fleet.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
coopers said:
We get a car for two years and that's it!? What the hell. What a waste of money for us to buy caprice and then have to yet again switch our fleet.

Why fleets should have avoided GM :)

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
coopers said:

All North American Zeta platform cars will be built in North America, most in Canada, within the next couple of years. The Camaro is a zeta car, and built in Canada.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
FireEMSPolice said:
Why fleets should have avoided GM :)

All North American Zeta platform cars will be built in North America, most in Canada, within the next couple of years. The Camaro is a zeta car, and built in Canada.

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
HILO said:

Seeing how this quote is being repeated...and I am not a car person, Caprice falls under the North American Zeta platform cars? So this means Caprices will be built in N.A after 2014 thus the car is not really going away?

My fleet manager is very interested in this rumor and wants to get info on this.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
coopers said:
Seeing how this quote is being repeated...and I am not a car person, Caprice falls under the North American Zeta platform cars? So this means Caprices will be built in N.A after 2014 thus the car is not really going away?

My fleet manager is very interested in this rumor and wants to get info on this.

Rest assured, after spending millions of dollars on Caprice and Chevy SS development, Chevrolet will keep the vehicles going for many years, simply to get get a return on the investment. The SS gives solid footing for the Caprice to carry on. The Caprice is only 12,000 or so a year, the SS will double that giving Chevrolet 35,000 units a year, at a minimum. It takes about 30,000 vehicles sold a year for 2 years, to recover development, on a soft build like the Caprice and SS (platform, engine, drive train, are already in production, all they have to do is develop interior exterior and electronics). If it were a ground up development, it takes over 100,000 units a year for 4 years, to recover cost.

This is about a year old, but it is pretty common among GM 'geeks' that Holden is moving away from exporting, and that NAOGM (North American Operations GM) will be using the Zeta II platform on a lot of vehicles. The Camaro is a Zeta, as is the Caprice and Chevy SS. The Buicks and Cadillacs will also move onto the Zeta II platform....

Chevrolet Caprice PPV, SS Performance Sedan, To Be Produced In North America In A Few Years | GM Authority

coopers

May 21, 2011
WA
HILO said:
Rest assured, after spending millions of dollars on Caprice and Chevy SS development, Chevrolet will keep the vehicles going for many years, simply to get get a return on the investment. The SS gives solid footing for the Caprice to carry on. The Caprice is only 12,000 or so a year, the SS will double that giving Chevrolet 35,000 units a year, at a minimum. It takes about 30,000 vehicles sold a year for 2 years, to recover development, on a soft build like the Caprice and SS (platform, engine, drive train, are already in production, all they have to do is develop interior exterior and electronics). If it were a ground up development, it takes over 100,000 units a year for 4 years, to recover cost.

This is about a year old, but it is pretty common among GM 'geeks' that Holden is moving away from exporting, and that NAOGM (North American Operations GM) will be using the Zeta II platform on a lot of vehicles. The Camaro is a Zeta, as is the Caprice and Chevy SS. The Buicks and Cadillacs will also move onto the Zeta II platform....

Chevrolet Caprice PPV, SS Performance Sedan, To Be Produced In North America In A Few Years | GM Authority

Well this certainly seems more rational. These posts about discontinuing was alarming and odd. Thanks.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Didn't take long....

chp-crash.jpg

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
tvsjr said:
(FF 1) Well damn, George... what do you think? Texting and driving, or playing on his MDC?
(FF 2) I dunno. He may have dropped his donut.

Of course, being California, probably a tofu donut.

:haha:

Hippies... blame the hippies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.