Code 3 Model 420 with D-Tech Rotators???

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Out of all the terrible ideas . . .

But really, it's been done but D-Tech rotators suck at throwing light, so they're generally just a really fast twinkly blur. I wouldn't recommend it.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
shues said:
I'm not sure if this was a retrofit or a factory job:

I just looked at the 2012-2013 parts list and the d-tech was not an option or a replacement part.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
D-Tech sucks. End of story. They are two fast, twinkly, and they will end up orange and teal after some period of time.

Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME
i want one.... seriously ........

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
tvsjr said:
D-Tech sucks. End of story. They are two fast, twinkly, and they will end up orange and teal after some period of time.

The second-generation glass D-Techs are far superior, at least as far as resistance to changing color.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
shues said:
The second-generation glass D-Techs are far superior, at least as far as resistance to changing color.

They're still "twinkly" as all hell and not effective. A nearby large SO is a through-and-through C3 department and drank the D-Tech koolaid early. Those MX7Ks were a constant source of problems, with the rotators having to be replaced constantly. Even the second-gen will change colors sitting in the Texas sun in August on a wreck running for hours. The department couldn't get to the 2100s (which suck in their own way, being basically unsynchronized) fast enough.

So... again I say, D-Tech sucks.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
I would think these are only best suited to sit on a wall in a man cave and look pretty.

And I hope to get an MX7K or other bar with them for just that one day!

Firefly Berlin

Apr 25, 2012
Germany / Berlin
I have two MXs with D Techs sitting on my wall and they are nice to show, but I would not really want to use them for primary warning.

If I would build them in a 420 I would use slow 24 volt motors so they would turn really slow. ;)

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Firefly Berlin said:
If I would build them in a 420 I would use slow 24 volt motors so they would turn really slow. ;)

Slow motors and bright bulbs, perhaps like the H5, just might make them worthwhile.

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt
shues said:
Slow motors and bright bulbs, perhaps like the H5, just might make them worthwhile.

Well if someone has a set I'm looking to retrofit a Mdl 420. Probably going to see if the slower motors will help.

Thanks guys

RJ

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
They did offer them from the factory in the 420 bars. I've also made one from a 420 shell; pretty much it's just a matter of changing the reflectors.

It's a cool idea (D-Tech) but the reflectors don't really 'reflect' much.

Plus for what those things ended up costing when they were new, 1/2 cylinder filters with normal rotators would have probably been way more effective.

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
I happen to think they look pretty cool, as far as a display piece goes. I have a Code 360 with two D-Techs in the lower bulbous sections. I was looking for a video, but the only video of mine I have is my Code 360 with standard rotators before I switched them out. This video is not mine, but they look pretty cool. I know as far as warning lights they may not have been as effective, but for a collection piece, they look pretty cool.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
ChargerLighting said:
They did offer them from the factory in the 420 bars. I've also made one from a 420 shell; pretty much it's just a matter of changing the reflectors.
It's a cool idea (D-Tech) but the reflectors don't really 'reflect' much.

Plus for what those things ended up costing when they were new, 1/2 cylinder filters with normal rotators would have probably been way more effective.

Here's the pdf on the 2012-2013 code 3 parts catalog ok can't load the PDF to large excedes the 2 limit size. Here's the page for the 420.

Found on page 94

scan0004.jpg

lite-em-up

May 23, 2010
Eastern Missouri
Here's my MX with D-Techs. I use it for fire responses. Contrary to all of the negative comments here, it is very effective. I have all slow motors and often run just the four D-Tech rotators.

ai800.photobucket.com_albums_yy285_lite_em_up_collection_P2260025.jpg

Here is my excalibur beacon

ai800.photobucket.com_albums_yy285_lite_em_up_collection_PB120032.jpg

This is my factory 420

ai800.photobucket.com_albums_yy285_lite_em_up_collection_Code_3LB420DTMNOSR_B.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
lite-em-up said:
Here's my MX with D-Techs. I use it for fire responses. Contrary to all of the negative comments here, it is very effective. I have all slow motors and often run just the four D-Techs rotators.

This is my factory 420

ai800.photobucket.com_albums_yy285_lite_em_up_collection_Code_3LB420DTMNOSR_B.jpg

You are not a brand new member, how DARE you come forth and tell us you have the slow motors and only post pictures and no videos?!?!?!? :duh: :weird: :hopeless: :bonk:

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
tvsjr said:
They're still "twinkly" as all hell and not effective. A nearby large SO is a through-and-through C3 department and drank the D-Tech koolaid early. Those MX7Ks were a constant source of problems, with the rotators having to be replaced constantly. Even the second-gen will change colors sitting in the Texas sun in August on a wreck running for hours. The department couldn't get to the 2100s (which suck in their own way, being basically unsynchronized) fast enough.

So... again I say, D-Tech sucks.

Funny you brought DSO up! The same day you posted this, I drove past a courtesy patrol truck that still has a D-Tech MX on it.

I've never cared for the D-Tech. The concept was cool, but the application not so much. I have seen them with slower rotators, and it is a bit better. But like any fast flashing light, it blurs the colors. R/B=purple. B/A=green. Lights need a black out time to have an effective flash. Be it rotating, LED, or strobe, fast flashing is not very effective.

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt
lite-em-up said:
Here's my MX with D-Techs. I use it for fire responses. Contrary to all of the negative comments here, it is very effective. I have all slow motors and often run just the four D-Tech rotators.

This is my factory 420

Nice LB420DTS and SD Models

The 420 that I just received(manufacture date 12/12) shows the following replacement p/n's;

D-Tech Rotator R/B T02651 A/B T02652

Would I have to add the friction washer to retrofit the T-Techs?

If anyone has the two D-Tech P/Ns in stock please PM with pricing.

Thanks

RJ

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
The reflectors gears are the same I believe. I think you just pull the snap ring & slide the normal reflectors off. Getting the snap rings back on without removing the d-tech reflector from the gear isn't much fun, but can be done. I don't think any other parts are needed to change over.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
ChargerLighting said:
The reflectors gears are the same I believe. I think you just pull the snap ring & slide the normal reflectors off. Getting the snap rings back on without removing the d-tech reflector from the gear isn't much fun, but can be done. I don't think any other parts are needed to change over.

The glass d-tech reflectors come off of the rotator gear with about a quarter turn, to facilitate snap-ring installation and removal.

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
shues said:
The glass d-tech reflectors come off of the rotator gear with about a quarter turn, to facilitate snap-ring installation and removal.

I've always had problems getting them back on - plastic & glass. They just don't seem secure; but maybe it was me.

The glass seem easier, but the plastic ones usually try to crumble into a glittery mess.

May 23, 2013
nc
on a side note

where do you get a mini excalibur bar?

i would give a certian body part for one of those in red

never seen any till ive been on this site, even an amber one would be sufice

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
tacomabanga19861986 said:
on a side note

where do you get a mini excalibur bar?

i would give a certian body part for one of those in red

never seen any till ive been on this site, even an amber one would be sufice

You can buy them new:

PSE Excalibur Mini Light Bar | Truck n Tow.com

Myself, I've made a few by ordering a new lower dome & new upper dome (about $100 for both), & cut my own frames. Code 3 Rotators & / or LEDs are pretty inexpensive so you can fill it to the brim & save some $$$ if you put it together yourself. That light has always been one of my favorites.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.