Code 3 SD (Updated w/new pics 7/17/14)!

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
Hello everyone!

I am happy to bring good news to all fellow collectors of a rescued SD bar. This bar was originally purchased and placed on a 1983 Brush Fire mini pumper. This unit is still in front line service, at least for the time being.  Recently the right side drive motor failed(the solid red side in the pictures). I offered to the Chief to change it out with a solid RED model 12 Twinsonic that I had purchased as a parts bar. Functionally there was nothing wrong with it, I was merely able to buy a pair of them cheap and kept them for just such an occasion.

Here is the SD before the failure:

ai839.photobucket.com_albums_zz312_ccr203_B_111_20CODe_203SD_B_111.jpg

After removing the SD:

ai839.photobucket.com_albums_zz312_ccr203_B_111_20CODe_203SD_IMG_20140628_114420_zps0ccbd253.jpg

I did not get a pic of the brush with its "new to it" bar but will in the near future.

Pictures of the Brush with it's "new to it" Federal Signal Twinsonic Model 12.

ai839.photobucket.com_albums_zz312_ccr203_B_111_20CODe_203SD_IMG_20140717_133312_zpsd8579a5b.jpg

ai839.photobucket.com_albums_zz312_ccr203_B_111_20CODe_203SD_IMG_20140717_133322_zps257e830e_1.jpg

So this is a win on multiple levels. An SD was saved from possible destruction. An older truck gets to retain period correct lights, and FS Twinsonic returns to active duty!

Thanks for looking,

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Looks to be in good condition for its age! Glad to see a light being rescued, and another one resurrected!

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Great save! I always hoped I could do the same thing with all the old lights in my old city, but the shops never had any of it. Total shame, too. There were some nice old SD's!

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Whenever I look at that red/clear colour combination I think of the ambulance light bars I saw during the 1970s and 1980s.   But the red was on the driver's side and the clear was on the passenger's side.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Around here, the use of red and clear was just the opposite of what Wailer saw.  When clear was approved for fire and EMS, it would be a clear lens on the driver's side with red and clear bulbs.  As new equipment was brought in, the combination became equal amounts of red and clear.  As LED's have now become popular it seems to be going back to all or mostly red for fire and EMS.

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
The SD is in as purchased configuration with the red/clear over the driver. It has, as it always had, equal red/clear PAR 36's on that side(2 of each color). All the sealed beams are still operational, just the motor has failed on the solid RED side. I can't decide if I want to source another motor or leave the original equipment in it. The motors are ink stamped 5/83 which is when the unit was purchased. The chief relates that members of the dept. at that time did the install in 1983.

For its age, the bar is in great condition. Both lens are in good usable condition.

Personally I prefer the Twin that is on it now to this SD I removed but both were good choices at that time. From an electrical standpoint, the model 12 Twin is drawing half of what this SD amp hog draws! LOL.

It is still a nice bar and I plan to clean it up the rest of the way and restore it as best as possible, although it needs very little done to it.

Chris

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Well, it is not operating correctly, but finding a working motor dated 5/1983 might be a challenge. There are replacement motors out there, but finding one with that date is the rub.  You might be able find a shop that can repair the broken motor.

Reactions: Big D

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
I have an SD and XL. The only thing with the SD is there is not enough room, and the motor plate is in the way of adding a stinger. Trust me ......I'v tried.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
You finally got it, nice! You patience paid off I remember chatting with you about this bar.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I have an SD and XL. The only thing with the SD is there is not enough room, and the motor plate is in the way of adding a stinger. Trust me ......I'v tried.
Yes, the SD is a little cramped for space, not possible to mount stingers and the mirrors can only face away from the motor.  The XL has quite a bit more front to back space.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Pictures of the Brush with it's "new to it" Federal Signal Twinsonic Model 12.

ai839.photobucket.com_albums_zz312_ccr203_B_111_20CODe_203SD_IMG_20140717_133312_zpsd8579a5b.jpg
That TwinSonic looks great on that truck! Definitely a win-win situation for you and the dept ;)  .

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
Looks good, hope it does not get damaged.
The Brush doesn't make many responses these days and hopefully it will be replaced in a year or two( replacement truck keeps getting removed from the budget). I don't have much invested in the 12 it now wears and I have another 12 I can replace with in the event it does get damaged. Anything can happen, but I think it will be survive until the unit gets replaced and I can reclaim the 12 from it.

Thanks!

Chris

Reactions: JohnMarcson

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
Wow! That is awesome and the Twin looks great up there! Nice job
Thanks I had to get a little creative with bushings for the Code 3 mount legs that are still on the unit(screwed directly into the roof) and the Federal mount plates on the Twin. The Code 3 legs are a little smaller in diameter but It all worked out and is quite stable. I will reclaim the Twin and the Code 3 legs that go with the SD when the unit is finally decommissioned. 

Chris

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevieandrew

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.