Code 3 XL inconsistent speeds

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Which style of XL are we talking about the 9000 (Sealed beam) or the 5000 (independent rotator)?
The 9000 usually encounters this when there is not enough juice to power all the functions.. However I have also resolved this issue by cleaning and if needed replacing the rubber belts if they are worn. I have seen instances where a worn belt is rubbing and catching at points which slows that rotator down.

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
Try cleaning the belts and the sprockets. Debris from the belts will clog up the sprocket gears. Toothbrush will do it, and actually you can let it run and hold the toothbrush steady for the belts.

Another thing to check is the sprocket pin. Make sure it is flush with the sprocket. If it sticks out either way that will cause a hiccup.

WD40 works great right up until it gets sticky. Will freeze up a gun action for example. Maybe clean and then some Break Free on the moving metal parts.

u387962

May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
Like TDC said, WD-40 is good to free something, but once it is freed, you need some lube in there to keep it going.
I had the same issue with an XL bar a little while back, it turned out that the belts were so old that they began to dry out and where they passed over a sprocket they took that shape from sitting so long. When the bar was then powered up and run it appeared to slow down when those curved areas passed between the sprockets as they would not flex and straighten. Once I put new belts on that we're more pliable the issue went away.

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
I had rubber dust packed in around the shaft acting like a brake pad ,a little emery paper a presto shes ready to rock&roll. dried out and out of shape belts don't help either. but then again she is no spring chicken

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
there is a tension adjustment wheel, but if the belt is bent from time they tend to skip as they turn over the gears, give it a good cleaning. I've saved a few belts with some tranny fluid on a rag... just saying

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helmi

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.