Collins Ambulance Roof Systems

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Here is what I have on the Collins Roof System. It used 2 sealed beam (often Grote) rotators, various flashers and even speakers/horns. A few different styles were offered.

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf8_zps18f648d9.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf10_zpsb8be40fe.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf5_zpsfa28062f.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf6_zps7b0b6201.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf22_zpsa21cc722.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf24_zps9905e0de.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf23_zpse5bb6b7f.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf21_zpsc8a70a42.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf20_zps6d316813.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf19_zps010c19f8.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf18_zpsbee1b6e5.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf17_zps736c0b28.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf16_zps78af9699.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf15_zps03a1ce40.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf14_zps9e1cbb6c.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf13_zps64949a81.png

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf11_zpsa2c30cc6.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf9_zps240501eb.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf4_zpsae100d88.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf3_zps7e9617db.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf2_zpse3a2ba1e.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf1_zpsbbe5dc93.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf12_zps433e0479.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf7_zps9a8fc764.jpg

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
I thought these were a cool design when I first saw them, figuring it was fuel efficient and gave adequate warning, though not of the caliber of a Federal Signal bar. Apparently the warning power was less than adequate, judging from the pics with full bars on top of the Collins roof system.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
jph2 said:
I thought these were a cool design when I first saw them, figuring it was fuel efficient and gave adequate warning, though not of the caliber of a Federal Signal bar. Apparently the warning power was less than adequate, judging from the pics with full bars on top of the Collins roof system.

Only less than adequate in the sense that they wanted more than two rotating lights. Even around that time, two didn't really cut it anymore.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Back in 2000 I traded a 1969 short-wheel-based Olds ambulance (which I've since gotten back) for a 1986 Collins/Ford Type III ambulance. It had belonged to the hospital here and Midland but had ended up at a long-since-gone private ambulance company. This unit had a clear plexiglass dome that extended the entire width of that special roof cap. Under the dome on each side were what appeared to be old Twinsonics: two-lamp beacons with mirrors. The beacons had red and blue sealed beams for each "pod". The truck had an extended bumper on which were mounted a pair of single faced Weldon halogen lights and a pair of Federal TS100 speakers. The siren inside was an SVP SA400. The ambulance had spent its entire life as a non-emergency transport ambulance until the private service got it at auction.

We lost the van to theft in 2001 and it's never turned up. It was painted a two-tone green and the ambulance graphics and star-of-life decals were all red (somewhat unusual).

About a year ago I had heard that a Collins Type III ambulance had turned up at a local auction yard (talking about a heart skipping beats), so I went to see. It turned out to be an '85 model from a small town S.E. of us. This one had a similar light package as our '86, but it had speakers in the dead center of that roof cap, rather than the whole-width dome like our had.

I still have title to our '86, which has never turned up anywhere. Like a lot of vehicles stolen in West Texas, I'd imagine it went south....waaaaay south a long time ago!

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I've always wondered who the world made that particular ambulance lighting system! I remember one of those Collins ambulances used by the Mercer County ambulance service in the early to mid-90s (yeah, even that young I was infatuated with blinkies and woo-woos:crazy:). It was definitely this Collins system right here:

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_Collins_20roof_clnsrf18_zpsbee1b6e5.jpg

Very cool info on these Collins lighting systems, John:thumbsup:!

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
lotsofbars said:
I like it, it's reminiscent of all those 70's-futuristic ideas that people were thinking up so often.

These ideas are still in full production through out the UK and Europe. Integrated warning systems can be effective and efficient if designed properly.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
ERIC6913 said:
These ideas are still in full production through out the UK and Europe. Integrated warning systems can be effective and efficient if designed properly.

That's a good point. From some standpoints the concept makes a lot of sense. You see them in the states too. Demers trucks work their way into the lower 48 all the time. Unfortunately they also often used to put lp6000 rotators behind fluted 9x7 lenses... so yeah.. But their new LED systems are nice, just major manufacturer gen 3 LEDs. I am a little worried about "dome" replacement and deterioration though, and more so the larger the "bubble" gets.

Demers Ambulances - Home

amb475779.jpg

amb64329.jpg

DemersAmbulance.jpg

In all led on a good pattern the systems are great and easily NFPA and KKK complaint. At their worst with all rotators, they aren't great... see below. The lack of primary flasher is an instant no go for most depts.

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
ERIC6913 said:
Here some from the U.K. and Sweden. Mercedes Benz, now that's style!

Trauma Twinkies!!

I think the Collins-type systems are a good concept; I don't like the space-age, bubbly look that comes with them, though.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
CrownVic97 said:
I've always wondered who the world made that particular ambulance lighting system! I remember one of those Collins ambulances used by the Mercer County ambulance service in the early to mid-90s (yeah, even that young I was infatuated with blinkies and woo-woos:crazy:). It was definitely this Collins system right here:

Very cool info on these Collins lighting systems, John:thumbsup:!

This is the same system as the '85 I recently saw that I mention above. Nice!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Jeremy0966 said:
I'm really liking the Crusader, its pretty awesome looking.

Collilns was very popular here in Texas, and there were a lot of the Crusader models around. However, one of the neatest Collins ambulances I saw came from Apollo Ambulance Service in the Dallas area. They used Collins' Dodge Caravan ambulance conversions. Nice ambulance in a small package. With the raised roof, it gave plenty of headroom, and there was still room for cabinetry and working space. One of the long-since-gone private ambulance services in Odessa had an ' 83 Caravan conversion, and I got to go on a couple of runs in it...and it was nice. I've been trying for nearly 20 years to talk them out of that little van and they won't budge...even though they shut down over 10 years ago. The owners' granddaughter nicknamed the van "L'il Bit"...and they won't part with it.

mayhemnyc

Nov 8, 2010
NYC
Kinda looks futuristic, or Japanese. I like it.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Lenox Hill Hospital also got some new Sprinter ambulances with the same style front light setup. It's very bright and very effective.

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
All of that open space and the biggest light they used was a 600 or 700 series really and there is plenty of room left in that roof for a few more 600's. oh and what's with the Linz 6's in the grille really how about 2 more 700's they will never learn that when it comes to lighting size matters

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
mdlighting said:
All of that open space and the biggest light they used was a 600 or 700 series really and there is plenty of room left in that roof for a few more 600's. oh and what's with the Linz 6's in the grille really how about 2 more 700's they will never learn that when it comes to lighting size matters

True...all true....

but I'll take a solid and synched 600 over a pinwheel or split 900.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
FollowingNFront said:

Nice looking rig. Any idea who did the conversion on the Sprinter? I like the light package. Beats hell out of my old Collins Type III which had converted TwinSonics under the clear plexiglass domes.

Remarkably, I've only seen a handfull of Sprinter ambulances around here. Carol's Ambulance in Odessa has one and they've never liked it for some reason....so it just sits.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
One of the FDs in my home county ran an old Ford ambulance with that lighting system over the roof. I'm not sure if this rig is still in service- it didn't like making the trip from far Northern NY to NYC and back over the course of a weekend (as you can see in the pic!). This picture is from around 2010 when FDNY got snowed in and requested rigs from the whole state of NY.

053.jpg

Wheels

May 23, 2010
El Paso, Texas
I saw this on eBay today and noticed the roof of the ambulance. There are lights integrated into the front of the roof behind a tinted lens, just below the Code 3 lightbar and also to the rear of the van. They state it's a Horton conversion but is this a custom thing that Horton did at the time or is it part of a Collins roof?

By the way....I love the style of these old vans.

1986 Chevrolet - Horton Van Ambulance in Commercial Trucks | eBay Motors

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Wheels said:
I saw this on eBay today and noticed the roof of the ambulance. There are lights integrated into the front of the roof behind a tinted lens, just below the Code 3 lightbar and also to the rear of the van. They state it's a Horton conversion but is this a custom thing that Horton did at the time or is it part of a Collins roof?

By the way....I love the style of these old vans.

1986 Chevrolet - Horton Van Ambulance in Commercial Trucks | eBay Motors

eb2.JPG

eb1.JPG

eb3.JPG

hort.JPG

Some of the last vans Horton made had this option. Cool find.

Reactions: CrownVic97

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idk

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.