Connecticut State Police 2013 Ford Interceptor Sedan

fusion11

Oct 4, 2011
New Enland
That's what I figured. Looked good responding, but I'm not too sure how I feel about the whole inner edge being illuminated for cruise lights. Seems like a little over kill for general patrol. All the troopers I've talked to really love these cars though.

Any idea what they're gonna do with the cruisers that have the old edge bars? They gonna get brand new liberties or just go slick top?

fusion11

Oct 4, 2011
New Enland
I saw a CSP interceptor sedan on the news tonight with what appeared to be a Whelen Legacy. Perhaps that's what they're replacing the old edges with?

fusion11

Oct 4, 2011
New Enland
All new patrols, they also switched to white microns in the grille, no vertex in the headlights, and 6 ions on the rear deck
Cool...good changes....I'm surprised they're even bothering with all new light bars though since so many of the troopers run these slicktop.

Did these ones with the new set-ups just start going on the road? I haven't seen one in person and I drove by mhq a few weeks ago and the lot was pretty bare.

fusion11

Oct 4, 2011
New Enland
The rumor I heard was that they are getting Caprices instead of Chargers for the traffic guys now, but that the majority of the fleet will still be Fords. 

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Looks great, but that inner edge is pointless, with the Liberty on top.

Replace the inner edge with Ions on the push bumper, and it would be awesome.
You must not be familiar with how CT State Police operates. Officers are allowed to use their cars off duty for errands and such with the stipulation that much of the time (so I'm told) they are on call.

The lightbar has a quick disconnect and gets stored in the trunk when off duty. Having the inner lightbar allows them to still effectively respond off duty, if necessary, without having to stop and reconnect the lightbar to the roof.

It was also discussed 3 post down from the OP

Storm82

Dec 16, 2014
Ludlow Falls, Ohio
You must not be familiar with how CT State Police operates. Officers are allowed to use their cars off duty for errands and such with the stipulation that much of the time (so I'm told) they are on call.

The lightbar has a quick disconnect and gets stored in the trunk when off duty. Having the inner lightbar allows them to still effectively respond off duty, if necessary, without having to stop and reconnect the lightbar to the roof.

It was also discussed 3 post down from the OP
You are right, I did not know that.

It is interesting that they do it that way, though I personally still think its pointless and would prefer the one or the other, but not both light bars.

Reactions: tsquale

fusion11

Oct 4, 2011
New Enland
Saw two new K9 Utilities this week. The white ions on the push bar are definitely a nice improvement. One of them had the whole inner edge, ions, and foglights on steady white on a traffic stop. Looked like it flooded the car nicely. 

fusion11

Oct 4, 2011
New Enland
With the impending demise of the Interceptor Sedan, does anyone know what CSP plans on utilizing as their main patrol vehicle? I assume they'll just transition to Interceptor Utilities for all instead of just K-9, ESU, etc., but they do tend to favor sedans for patrol.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
I was wondering the same thing.
Maybe they will all get Utilities. The traffic unt is using the Caprices. So maybe the patrol division will switch the them as well. Will be interesting. Guess we will have to wait and see

Reactions: fusion11

fusion11

Oct 4, 2011
New Enland
Chevy stopped manufacturing the Caprice PPV last year. Once Ford stops production of the interceptor sedan next year, the only sedan option will be the Charger.

My guess is that they try to get at least one more order of Interceptor Sedans (as production doesn’t stop until March 19) and then go to all Utilities.

But like you said, we shall wait and see.

Reactions: firebuff17

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Hmmm I did not know Chevy stopped production of their PPV sedan.
I guess they might try to buy as many as they can of the interceptor sedans but who knows.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Sadly GM shut down the Holden manufacturing factory down in Australia which is where the caprice was imported from. Same thing with the Chevy SS.

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
If they're allowed to use the vehicles for their personal use, and they don't respond to anything when they're off duty, why even have the interior light set up, then? If they're dropping their kids off at school and see something happen, do they strap the kid in and respond?

The whole thing seems strange. Does the car look good? It does. As an emergency lighting enthusiast, I know the norm is to think more is better, and the car does look neat, but it doesn't seem particularly practical, and the idea of disconnecting the lightbar and having to put it back on the car also seems impractical. I get the quick disconnect thing, and I get it's relatively easy to do, but it's just strange.

I am also of the mind that police vehicles should be marked, and I'm not a big fan of take-home cars, either.

soutthpaw

May 2, 2018
Sparks, NV
Interesting, East coast folks do stuff weird. I don't see the point of taking the cars home, with the exception of the K-9 units and other specialty assignments or rural departments. I do know that some motorcycle officers get to ride their bikes home (don't see the reason behind this either). The additional cost and maintenance for vehicles and needing a vehicle for every officer is just crazy.

Hollywood

May 24, 2010
Oklahoma
I wouldn’t work at an agency without take homes. We get so much more life out of the cars we have with them not being run into the ground shift after shift.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
The additional cost and maintenance for vehicles and needing a vehicle for every officer is just crazy.

I understand why this thought is there, however in the long run it costs significantly less. The Officers end up taking pride and ownership in the car and thus have a reason to take care of it. I have a take home car now, and I stay on top of everything. There isn't a single light bulb out, I can tell you exactly when my next oil change is due, and I know where everything is in that car.

Reactions: Tony P

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
I don't think anybody is getting their panties in a bunch. I've never understood why someone having a conversation, or sharing an opinion, had to be someone getting their panties in a bunch.

soutthpaw

May 2, 2018
Sparks, NV
I don't think anybody is getting their panties in a bunch. I've never understood why someone having a conversation, or sharing an opinion, had to be someone getting their panties in a bunch.
Thanks. Exactly what I meant and why I didn't respond to that comment. But that is the Internet for ya, Heh

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
To me getting worked up over a practice that an agency has determined works for them over the course of several decades is a good example of bunched up panties

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jriccio@necommunications.

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.