Convincing my Department to...

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
Let me change the light patterns on our apparatus. :D

So most of the lights on our apparatus is not synched at all... The side lighting is hideous, and the rear is even worse. We have dual whelen B6led beacons that flash both red/blue at the same time. The EMS side of the department is just as bad. The front of our ambulances is just a giant random blinking mess. :suicide:

So what I need to do is convince the chief and/or chief engineer to let me fix this mess. However, I'm not quite sure how to approach this. Do you guys have any ideas?

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Just do it and beg forgiveness. If you lack the balls and intestinal fortitude for that go to the Chief or whoever is in charge and say:

Hey Chief......remember that time you said the lights on the fire engine would be better if we'd modify the flash patterns. You don't! Well it was a Great idea, I have been reading up on it and it's pretty easy to do. Let me know if you wanna see what that would look like.

Hell of an idea Chief. I'm talking genius.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Irsh42 said:

So most of the lights on our apparatus is not synched at all... The side lighting is hideous, and the rear is even worse. We have dual whelen B6led beacons that flash both red/blue at the same time. The EMS side of the department is just as bad. The front of our ambulances is just a giant random blinking mess. :suicide:

So what I need to do is convince the chief and/or chief engineer to let me fix this mess. However, I'm not quite sure how to approach this. Do you guys have any ideas?

Do it and ask for forgiveness later when they realize how awesome it looks and how much safer it is. I just switched some patterns on one of our apparatus and have yet to have someone complain.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
WS224 said:
Just do it and beg forgiveness. If you lack the balls and intestinal fortitude for that go to the Chief or whoever is in charge and say:

Hey Chief......remember that time you said the lights on the fire engine would be better if we'd modify the flash patterns. You don't! Well it was a Great idea, I have been reading up on it and it's pretty easy to do. Let me know if you wanna see what that would look like.

I added 4 blue modules on the freedom lightbar on our first out truck, also synced it up so the corners alternate r/b on each side. :eek: A little change can make a huge difference.

Tlauden

Apr 3, 2011
Halifax, PA
I know the feeling, while ours are all syncd its a major split fail. Looks like one big blinking mess. BUT everyone else loves the split heads. Its not worth an argument in my opinion. As long as it makes it to the scene and puts the fire out....

picone239

Jul 22, 2010
Paramus, NJ
How into the lights are they? I'm sure I could change the patterns on my Engine, and probably make it weeks before anyone notices.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
picone239 said:
How into the lights are they? I'm sure I could change the patterns on my Engine, and probably make it weeks before anyone notices.

My former chief of police was such an idiot i could probably change the whole bar from a liberty to an Mx7k and he would. Not know the diffrence.

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
WS224 said:

+1 Just because that made me laugh. :thumbsup:

picone239 said:

Honestly, it depends on the individual. Though the chief engineer loves her trucks more then her own kids soo.

plybeep68

Aug 29, 2011
Jonesborough TN
Have they seen any other vehicles with the lights synched? Show them some video footage! Then if that don't work, change it anyway and ask for mercy "IF" you get caught!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
yea im going to agree with the "change the patterns and see if anyone notices" idea.

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
Honestly, the only people who notice different patterns are (some) members on here. If you were to ask a bunch of random emergency services personnel what the difference in moduflash and quad flash, you would be speaking another language to them. I can almost guarantee they will not notice. Most responders (as we have seen from YouTube) don't know that there are more patterns other than the factory preset, and if they do, they pick the "cool" ones (ie, Whelen's Pinwheel).

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
calebsheltonmed23 said:
Honestly, the only people who notice different patterns are (some) members on here. If you were to ask a bunch of random emergency services personnel what the difference in moduflash and quad flash, you would be speaking another language to them. I can almost guarantee they will not notice. Most responders (as we have seen from YouTube) don't know that there are more patterns other than the factory preset, and if they do, they pick the "cool" ones (ie, Whelen's Pinwheel).

Hey hey hey... I have no idea the difference between moduflash and quad flash. I just go for what I think looks good.

dcfrmp255

Nov 26, 2010
South Georgia
Irsh42 said:

I say go for it. If the members have never expressed an interest in emergency lighting, then I doubt that they'll notice. I've been contemplating doing the same thing on our tanker, my department is composed of a bunch of old geezers and I know that they won't notice. :razz: :haha:

Another agency that needs some lighting sync work, is my local SO........just imagine this............a big un-synced blob of TIR6 grille lights, Mirrorbeams and Vertex's......(some of which aren't even on the same pattern) :suicide: :eek: :no: :hopeless:

Last edited by a moderator:

ff168577

May 22, 2010
Levittown, Pa
When we got our new engines in 2008 the chief engineer at time thought it was a great idea to change the freedom around to the way he wanted it. He caused a huge split fail and a giant unsynced mess. I advised the chief it was unsafe, and that it looked like ass. We compared the two rigs (twins), and needless to say, the rig got changed back to the original set-up and the chief engineer was suspended for a few days. When I converted our oscilasers to 600 series, they would not allow me to sync them together by running wire where no one would ever see. I tried my best to set them up to look ok.

I would say do it. I doubt anyone will ever know.

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
Just do it. Nike. Oh wait, wrong product. lol!! Change and sync em up. At least you will be safe for a little while until someone complains or someone says, "hey, aren't those lights blinking different than they were?". lol!!

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
dcfrmp255 said:
Another agency that needs some lighting sync work, is my local SO........just imagine this............a big un-synced blob of TIR6 grille lights, Mirrorbeams and Vertex's......(some of which aren't even on the same pattern) :suicide: :eek: :no: :hopeless:

My patrol unit was like this until I talked to my Chief and he clearly said "I dont give a f@#k what you do to your unit, you are the only person on the dept that knows what the f@#k you are doing any way so do what you want to the units". So now all my lights except for my grill lights are on single flash 75, I have not had time to pull the grill back on my Tahoe yet... Much brighter now and I can be seen for miles.

dcfrmp255

Nov 26, 2010
South Georgia
This afternoon, I synced the rear LED's and changed the pattern of the strobe pack on our brush truck also synced and changed the pattern of the grille lights on our tanker from the split fail that the county shop guys did........they will never notice... :D :razz:

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Like everyone said, if they don't know enough to sync them or change the patterns, they won't notice when you do. My department had just gotten a new ambulance with five 600 Series' across the back in R/B/A/R/B and the way they were flashing had red and blue coming on together. I brought it up but was shot down because God forbid that anyone cares how the lights are set up. So one day, I just went in and swapped a blue and red head a voila, we didn't have red and blue flashing together. And I know for a FACT that no one noticed besides the member who helped me change them, who is also a member of ELB.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Welp...I was caught in the act last night changing a few more light heads by one of the captains. He stood their, shook his head, and just walked away. :thumbsup:

dcfrmp255

Nov 26, 2010
South Georgia
philyumpshus said:
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Like everyone said, if they don't know enough to sync them or change the patterns, they won't notice when you do. My department had just gotten a new ambulance with five 600 Series' across the back in R/B/A/R/B and the way they were flashing had red and blue coming on together. I brought it up but was shot down because God forbid that anyone cares how the lights are set up. So one day, I just went in and swapped a blue and red head a voila, we didn't have red and blue flashing together. And I know for a FACT that no one noticed besides the member who helped me change them, who is also a member of ELB.

I wish we could add some more rear lighting to our brush truck because all we have are two SHO-ME trio lightheads.........the Streethawk is blocked by two flood lights... :hopeless: :duh: Same thing for the tanker.......all that we have in the rear are two led beacons mounted up top.....the lightbar is blocked by the booster reel... :hopeless: :duh:

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
Just to give you all an update, I'll actually start doing this next week.

However, we had an AFA a couple days ago and a couple of the lights that were out of sync were now in sync. Me thinks someone else had the same idea as me. :undecided:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
@thebluesignal

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.