Cool, interesting, odd etc Fire/EMS vehicles -locked due to new section

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaCityPolice

May 23, 2010
Washington, DC
nerdly_dood said:
DC ambulances tend to only have the KKK-recommended lights - all halogen - with the proper flash pattern. Sure, it's effective, but I'd like to see them with a Model 14 in front.

Other ambulances have a different red and white paint job with a similar setup, but it's all LED except for a white halogen in front. It's got a different variable speed alternating pattern, though, with an extra pair of flashing red LEDs next to the taillights. Looks like they also contract out to American Medical Response.

AMR handles private contracts for nursing homes, large events, non-emergency transports, etc. They would NEVER respond for emergency calls. And most DCFD ambulances are all LED except for the forward center halogen. The pictured ambulance is a reserve unit that is only used when the regular ones break down.

I definitely agree with others that they need more lighting--they can't get through traffic for anything!

Stendec

May 21, 2010
Corvair vans are very rare, I have never seen one made into an ambulance. There was also a Corvair pickup, a lot like the cab-forward Dodges and Ford Econolines, except that the side bed wall could fold down. Very collectible.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
nerdly_dood said:
I quite like the minimal setup, there IS such a thing as too many lights. I wouldn't mind seeing a Model 14 or Whelen RB6 in front though.

i agree that there is such a thing as too many lights, but i don't think it's overkill one bit if they required

2 more front-facing surface mounts on the body, OR a lightbar (which doesn't have to be loaded/fancy) to help with the front/intersection lighting

AND adding 1 surface mount on each side of the body for lower side warning.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
If I remember, I will post some pics of a rig my rescue squad had in the '60s and '70s. It was a Clark Cortez "ambulance" that was basically a camper with lights and siren. I think it could hold like 6 patients or something.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
crescentstar69 said:
0truck_lg.jpg[/attachment:29k2l6q9]

Mattracks? Weird? I'd give my left nut for a set of those. You couldn't get them stuck trying... Search some Youtube vids for them.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
rwo978 said:
Mattracks? Weird? I'd give my left nut for a set of those. You couldn't get them stuck trying... Search some Youtube vids for them.

+1!! That thing is wicked! Totally understand why it's needed in Yellowstone... They get some crazy snow out there :!:

backdraft51

Sep 29, 2010
Tennessee
This is my departments old rescue. It sucked. I guess this is why E-One only made like 10 of these. Suicide doors on the front. If something breaks its impossible to find a part. The passenger suicide door decided to sling open while going down the road at 60 mph. Luckily we weren't going to a call. The light bar on the truck was specially made for this truck also. (at least thats what I was told). If you ever come across a 2000 E-One Daytona Rescue Pumper don't buy it. Any other E-one is good but this one sucks.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.m3firetrucks.com/components/com_autostand/img_pictures/7a.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.fentonfire.com/images/library/full/323_E0619-THUMB.jpg

pdk9 said:
some ugly ambulances there lol

but we obvi can't forget mount horeb's squad 1 in a thread for interesting fire/ems vehicles

http://fdmh.org/FDMH%20Galleries/FDMH%2 ... _0587.html

http://fdmh.org/FDMH%20Galleries/FDMH%2 ... _0575.html

How does that truck not have power issues.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
backdraft51 said:
Any other E-one is good

I tend to disagree. We purchased 2 ambulances from E-One years ago when they were in the meat wagon business and they were BOTH the biggest pieces of shit that our department has ever owned. Both had numerous electrical problems and the bolts that held the bodies on the frame were coming trough the floor on both. One had to have repaint work done (which E-One wouldn't warranty) and any other warranties that we had on them went out the window when E-One got out of the ambulance business. They're claim was "The ambulance and fire truck division are separate and one can't honor the warranties for the other".

backdraft51

Sep 29, 2010
Tennessee
PC Comms said:
I tend to disagree. We purchased 2 ambulances from E-One years ago when they were in the meat wagon business and they were BOTH the biggest pieces of shit that our department has ever owned. Both had numerous electrical problems and the bolts that held the bodies on the frame were coming trough the floor on both. One had to have repaint work done (which E-One wouldn't warranty) and any other warranties that we had on them went out the window when E-One got out of the ambulance business. They're claim was "The ambulance and fire truck division are separate and one can't honor the warranties for the other".

wow. really. I've never seen a e-one ambulance. well then i'll reclassify. most of the eone fire pumpers or rescue trucks are awesome. Every truck but one on my department is e-one and we really haven't had any problems out of them. really most of county and city fire departments are e-one's. I've never seen a e-one ambulance so I can't really comment on that one.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
here is our first actual fire truck, the ones before were a hodge podge of converted equipment, the first engine we ever had was an old school buss that had a tank in the back (wish I could find pics of that)

its a 1946 chevrolet ex military truck

old 64 3.jpg

old 64 4.jpg

old 64 2.jpg

old 64 1.jpg

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Shawn L said:
here is our first actual fire truck, the ones before were a hodge podge of converted equipment, the first engine we ever had was an old school buss that had a tank in the back (wish I could find pics of that)

its a 1946 chevrolet ex military truck

These look like Beacon Rays with retrofitted bulb/reflector internals. I've often thought about doing that, especially with a Junior Beacon Ray.

Dan

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
ark_firefighter said:
75' ladder and yeppers its a twin screw (dual rear axles) For some of us that worked there; prior to its delivery, and we can't figure out why it came that way.

The tandem axle was likely added to improve stopping distances. Trying to stop a 68,000 pound quint that only has a single rear axle is hell.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I'm surprised there was one of these made... let alone two...

odd1.jpg

odd2.jpg

May 22, 2010
Columbiana County, Ohio
shues said:
The tandem axle was likely added to improve stopping distances. Trying to stop a 68,000 pound quint that only has a single rear axle is hell.

The lightbulbs in Arkansas arn't that bright LOL

We think it was the only chassie avaliable when SFD ordered, they ordered one of those "Ferrara STAT" Trucks.

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
JohnMarcson said:
I'm surprised there was one of these made... let alone two...

Yes folks, that right. USPS now provides EMS to varying communities!

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
I would sooo buy that!

A-TAD

May 21, 2010
South Eastern PA
Older Engine 58 from Phila., PA.

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3264_3674132412_b5d52e237b_z.jpg_78d565b723da07eb5656c0531b31036f.jpg

EngCo4

Oct 12, 2010
USA Virginia
These belong to me....

1957 Jeep Utility Unit

1967 Seagrave 1000gpm pumper

1984 Ford-Darley 1000gpm pumper

Fully equipped, Everything works.

FD Utility 4.jpg

FD E-41 at Kilmarnock Museum 2010.jpg

FD E42 4AUG2007.jpg

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
Since we've been getting a lot of cool vehicles in here lately, I'm bringing in an odd one. This is Del Norte Ambulance in northern California. They have these two odd balls and one normal truck.

del_norte_ambulance_ground_ev10.jpg

One good thing has come from Obama owning Chrysler. That is: Mercedes is no longer a partner, and Dodge no longer has rights to the Sprinter! THANK GOD, because that mean that there will not be anymore of those damn Sprinter ambulances in my station! :celebrate: :woohoo:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
6 mini lightbars on top?

EngCo4

Oct 12, 2010
USA Virginia
Chasselber1 said:
You need to paint those white with a black stripe!! LoL

Hungrybus;

I was a member in that VFD LOOOONG BEFORE there even WAS a "white-with-a-stripe"

I have a pic of back when I was a young member and we ran 3 engines and an ambo out

of the old station! And EVERYTHING there was RED! ALL RED! Changed to white back in

1969 with the delivery of that ALF and it was originally an open cab! When it was redone

into a closed cab, the other 1964 ALF had a cab-kit added and it was painted white to

match. When we got the 1968 SWAB ambo (one of the first in the region) it was also

painted white. The third ALF (1960) was sold in 1969 to CO.28 and added to their large

fleet of ALFs. It was at the 48 station as late as the mid 80s when I saw it there while

taking a MFRI arson investigation class. It was then sitting in the back and not being used,

but still looked pretty good! Wished I had bought it! (sigh), the 1964 ALF is owned by a

private individual and used a lot at parades and musters. The 1969 ALF went to a PA VFD

as on of 2 ALFS that they bought to start their department.

PM me if you would like a pic of the old station FULL of equipment! AND I can remember when

we got them ALL out FULLY MANNED and we were ALL VOLUNTEER!

Times sure change! Now I own more equipment than they do! :D

PS...I'm a Life Member there.

EngCo4

Oct 12, 2010
USA Virginia
kinnelonfire75 said:
EngCo4,

did you just walk into their station one day and announce that you wanted to buy all their trucks?? :yes:

Nope! Actually...That VFD never owned these pieces! I just have permission from them to

letter my apparatus with the name as I am a Life Member there. We DID at one time own

a 1935 International-Darley, and we BRIEFLY owned an old Seagrave pumper that was

donated to us for a fundraiser and was raffled off. It is now owned by a private individual

who has extensively reworked/restored it and uses it heavily on the parade and muster

circuit! We never had a Jeep, though. Only pickups for Utility Units. We DO however own

a Ford Mini-Pumper. Maybe one day, I will mount a pump/tank unit in the Utility, but it is

really meant as a support unit for the engines when they go to events and to be a "parts

chaser" around town. Is going to be used a lot this year on the antique car circuit as well.

All the apparatus is completely and correctly equipped to period-correct standards with

period-correct tools and equipment that is ALL functional. The apparatus are all completely

functional and operational and roadworthy and tagged and driven throughout the year!

Seagrave came from Johnstown, PA FD fully equipped

Ford-Darley came from Callao, VA VFD fully equipped

Jeep was bought locally and rework was done locally, never owned by a FD, equipped to

period-correct standards for local Utility Units.

All of the emergency warning lights, sirens and such are also original period-correct items.

I bought each pice of appartus myself at different times...from different sources...

Hope this helps..

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
the lights had been gutted and the internals were replaced what what I think were svp rotators, they were painfully slow since they were 12 volt and the truck is a 6 volt system I replaced the motors with a 6 volt replacement and got some correct 6 volt bulbs and the lights are decent now.

dmathieu said:
These look like Beacon Rays with retrofitted bulb/reflector internals. I've often thought about doing that, especially with a Junior Beacon Ray.
Dan

Chasselber1

May 21, 2010
Prince Georges County Md
This is the result of one of the brush fires we had in the county Saturday. The 1964 Ford/Young operating as Brush-836B was caught and over ran by the fire. All members were un-harmed. Photo from a member from Baden. See post #61 to see a before pic.

Burned B-36.jpg

Burned B-36 Front.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Chasselber1 said:
This is the result of one of the brush fires we had in the county Saturday. The 1964 Ford/Young operating as Brush-836B was caught and over ran by the fire. All members were un-harmed. Photo from a member from Baden. See post #61 to see a before pic.

Dude, that sucks:(!

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
Our new rescue is pretty cool and unique, so I'll add it to this thread. 2011 Pierce Quantum Chassis. Walk-thru cab with seating for 5 divers and 4 additional seats with SCBA.

ai634.photobucket.com_albums_uu64_BoondockSaint3100_TDFD_203176_DSCF0042.jpg

ai634.photobucket.com_albums_uu64_BoondockSaint3100_TDFD_203176_3176_10.jpg

ai634.photobucket.com_albums_uu64_BoondockSaint3100_TDFD_203176_DSCF0047.jpg

ai634.photobucket.com_albums_uu64_BoondockSaint3100_TDFD_203176_DSCF0048.jpg

ai634.photobucket.com_albums_uu64_BoondockSaint3100_TDFD_203176_DSCF0049.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
dmathieu said:
Not to criticize, but, You guys need to change your tactics!

This seems to be a pattern...... :duh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaf10596

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.