Custom building a bar for my first time. (advice needed)

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
ok.. here's the situation. I have a buddy who had a TIR3 off brand/chinese style light bar (ledoutfitters/stl type). He recently moved from one vehicle to another and HIS friend who was helping him do the install some how connected the positive and ground wires then let them short between each other. When this happened, they heard a loud "pop". He called me and I took it apart. I found that the capacitor on the board is toast (exploded). I don't know much about fixing those boards so I am trying to figure out re-building the light bar or replacing the board. I havn't been able to find a board to replace it (not really sure where to even look). Hours of googling and searching on here have really left me without the answers I needed.

Keep in mind I am all relatively new to this. I have seen people build custom light bars on here and want to attempt to do this for him. All of the lightheads work fine (and they are actually super bright). Can I just buy something lik a sho-me traffic advisor flasher controller SHO-ME 8-Output LED Micro Rotary Switch with Built-In Flasher and wire the individual passive heads to that? This would now give him the traffic advisor capability he has wanted. Each of the light heads are a simple two wire light head so I'm assuming you supply power straight each of the light heads and then run the negative wire to the controller. When the controller is turned on it then supplies the ground to each of the lightheads as they are needed for the specific flash pattern.

Or is this thought process completely jacked up?! If it is... any ideas what to do with these light heads for him so that we can get him a working light bar out of them?

Last edited by a moderator:

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
I honestly think it's more worth it to invest in something a little better than a new board for chinese TIR heads. As for the new board itself, I know nothing about that. But just my 2¢.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
he's not going to buy a new light head. I will say this, the lights were damn near as bright as my feniex lights which I bought to replace my code 3 stuff.

Just trying to figure out a cheap way to get his cheap lights running again. I'd rather have him have cheap lights than no lights.

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
ar6423 said:
he's not going to buy a new light head. I will say this, the lights were damn near as bright as my feniex lights which I bought to replace my code 3 stuff.

Just trying to figure out a cheap way to get his cheap lights running again. I'd rather have him have cheap lights than no lights.

Show a pic of the lightbar or a name of it and we can offer more options. You can do it if it's one style of lightbar, but not if it's another. Pics or names help a lot.

Tony

FFRNDAN

May 23, 2010
Malvern, OH
If you have a steady hand and a soldering iron, I'm guessing all you would need to do is replace the burned out parts on that board. There should be a part number on the capacitor. Google it. I've fixed a couple TVs and a siren doing this, got them all for free too.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.