Custom Whelen Liberty - Version 2

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Well, with me getting a new vehicle, I've stripped the Av... And with that, I figured I'd "freshen up" the Liber-Titan... So I took it all apart and with the help of a sweet deal from litning, the new version starts to come together...

Some new parts... 16 FedSig Solaris heads with wiring.

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_Lightbar_20Projec65fb0a32e4e3493d3a7c92f34f2a86d7.jpg

Here's just a mock-up... Not exactly sure what I'm gonna do... I'll figure it out later today when I start to tinker...

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_Lightbar_20Projecc9feb6eb1caa4b302efa304b7f93445f.jpg

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_Lightbar_20Projec2810dd1a554a6c2a7870484135ac8c3b.jpg

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_Lightbar_20Projec57b5cdbde13dfdaf3e0c939fac429b5d.jpg

It's going to have my LIN-12 Short Corners, SXTDLED Take Downs, a center Steady Burn head and Amber CON-3s in the rear... The rest of the space will be filled with the Solaris heads. I'm not sure if I'm going to put the T-1000 back on it, or mount my custom T-300s to it... I've been toying with the idea of putting my SXTDLEDs in the Alley light spots and using the custom T-300s as Take Downs... We'll see... lol

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Ok, so I'm going with a very unconventional lay-out... lol

Front:

Extended Corner - Solaris - Solaris - SXTDLED - LIN-6 - SXTDLED - Solaris - Solaris - Extended Corner

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_Lightbar_20Projec2ee70dc04b7ec36b3dd3e2f5c92dd1ce.jpg

Rear:

Standard Corner - Solaris - Solaris - Solaris - CON-3 - CON-3 - Solaris - Solaris - Solaris - Standard Corner

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_Lightbar_20Projec56999b149bd21fdec6784b839488d7ff.jpg

The Solaris heads mount VERY easily to the Liberty frame... After I took the mounts off the Solaris heads, the two mount holes lined up perfectly with one of the channels in the bar frame...

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_Lightbar_20Projec9dd3c90379fb733cbe8f1b6fc8d605f6.jpg

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_Lightbar_20Projec87a1c5bb51d846fba4083c0886ea04b3.jpg

I wired it up and put it all together...

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_Lightbar_20Projece81de25c36bbdc313cd23538ee75b777.jpg

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_Lightbar_20Projeca2e672e8d0ddffea0aaaee659c48f110.jpg

I'd have a video, but upon testing some of the Solaris heads weren't working... So a vid will have to wait until I diagnose the issues... Plus I'm still trying to figure out how to fill the gap between the extended and standard corners... I may try cutting a Solaris head down to get it to fit, but we'll see... lol

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
Jeez man! You're going to light up ten blocks! Woman and children will go blind! hahaha :D LOVE the setup! Great idea! Looking forward to seeing it in operation!!

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Mrlunchbox said:
Jeez man! You're going to light up ten blocks! Woman and children will go blind! hahaha :D LOVE the setup! Great idea! Looking forward to seeing it in operation!!

Isn't that the point...? lol

I'm gonna do some tinkering today to see why a couple of the heads aren't working... Hopefully I'll have a video up sometime today...

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
The bar is 100% operational now... In my haste when assembling the heads, I installed the plugs wrong on 2 of the heads... lol Now I have 17 heads of warning in this bar, with the possibility of more... I still might try and modify a Solaris head and try and put it in the gap between the corners, but at the same time I'd still REALLY like to get a couple of sets (2 or more) of LR-11s to play around with too... lol

And now, what I'm sure you've all been waiting for... The Vids!!! LoL

The first one is showing off the possible set-up for the 3 positions of warning.

Mode #1:

Cruise Lights, Rear Ambers, Front Outer Solaris Heads

Mode #2:

Add Flashing Corners and Center Front Steady

Mode #3:

Add remaining Front (2) and Rear (6) Solaris heads.

Now that I'm watching the vids, the one Solaris head in the rear may have a few diodes out... LoL Good thing I have 6 more laying around... lol I'm also noticing that the short corners are tealy compaired to the other heads... LoL Looks like I have to go through all my heads and maybe ship them off to Wilson... lol

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
I think that's the most well-lit trash can I've ever seen. It's also the most famous here on ELB, I know I've seen other builds of yours on it before.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I was worried the CON3 heads would be over powered but I'm glad to see that isn't the case. I love the bar and would love one on my patrol car. Do you think TIR3's would fit in the corner gaps?

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
You're sick in the head......

But I still love the bar!

litning

May 21, 2010
Central NH
those Solaris heads look a hell of a lot better in the liberty frame than the shitty bar I took them out of! glad they worked for you.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
The LiberTitan SL

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
SomeBloke said:
Or is it now the SolarTitan?

I do the BouldarBar llc Lightbar naming. Its still the LiberTitan, with the SoLaris heads... LiberTitan SL (copyright, trademark, restricted, dontstealitorwewillhuntyoudown)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TritonBoulder47
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
foxtrot5 said:
I think that's the most well-lit trash can I've ever seen. It's also the most famous here on ELB, I know I've seen other builds of yours on it before.

Hey, it makes a hell of a Lightbar Stand... lol

RL1 said:
I was worried the CON3 heads would be over powered but I'm glad to see that isn't the case. I love the bar and would love one on my patrol car. Do you think TIR3's would fit in the corner gaps?

Yeah, CON-3s are a beastly lighthead... I'm not sure about the TIR-3... I do have a set of SNM E3s laying around not doing anything... lol

Zapp Brannigan said:
You're sick in the head......

But I still love the bar!

Indeed... But if I wasn't, cool stuff like this wouldn't be made... lol

litning said:
those Solaris heads look a hell of a lot better in the liberty frame than the shitty bar I took them out of! glad they worked for you.

And thanks again for then sweet deal on them!!!

7d9_z28 said:
I do the BouldarBar llc Lightbar naming. Its still the LiberTitan, with the SoLaris heads... LiberTitan SL (copyright, trademark, restricted, dontstealitorwewillhuntyoudown)

Well technically, in it current state, its not a LiberTitan since the titan was removed from the bar... I'm still undecided on if I'm going to put it back on it or not... I've also toyed with the idea of removing the SXTDLEDs and mounting my custom T-300s under the bar and making them my TDs and goving my more frontal warning (not like its needed LoL)... I've also been thinking about removing the rear corners (short) and making some Solaris corners... lol

Reactions: GPC

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
i think it looks great. the steady LIN6 looks at home inbetween those TDs. As for the rear CON3s, i think i would like them better in the outer positions, especially since you have only them flashing in mode 1. I feel like it spreads them out a bit more, helping profile the vehicle better.

either way, i like it.

im working on a franken bar myself. Its a 2100 frame so far.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Thanks for all the compliments guys!!!

Well, I got to tinkering at work and re-arranged the whole bar, again... I think I'm on V2.4 now... lol

Front:

Short Corner - SXTDLED - Solaris - LIN-6 - LIN-6 - LIN-6 - Solaris - SXTDLED - Short Corner

Absolutely ZERO gaps in the front of the bar now...

New Front.jpg

Rear:

Short Corner - Solaris - CON-3 - Solaris - Solaris - Solaris - Solaris - CON-3 - Solaris - Short Corner

There is virtually no gaps in the rear either, approximately 1 inch total.

New Rear.jpg

The only thing I have left to do, is mount the SOS Mini LED3s on each end to fill the gap between the corners... Then it will be complete...

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
OK... NOW I think I'm about 98% done with this bar... The only thing left I have to do is find a way to mount some SOS Mini LED3s between the corner modules.

Flash Patterns:

4 Corners - Action Flash

Outer Front Solaris, Outer Rear Solaris & Inner Rear Solaris - Signal Alert Steady

Inner Front LIN-6s & Center Rear Solaris - ModuFlash

Center Front LIN-6 - Steady

Rear CON-3s - 75FPM WigWag

And of course, some Vids...

Just Warning

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Ok, I got the SOS Mini LED3s installed... Most in the chat didn't like it, but it works for me... lol

SOS Mini LED3 2.jpg

SOS Mini LED3 Lit.jpg

Now I just need to get a new vehicle to put it on... lol

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
So I guess since I "technically" changed it again by adding the SOS Mini LED3s, we're on V2.5 now... BUT, now its complete(?)... lol I wired the LED3s into the alley lights, just to make it easier. I didn't want to splice into any other circuits. Then I set the Flash Pattern on the Flashing Take Downs & Alleys to only flash the Take Downs.

Heres a quick vid... I set the LED3s on their "Glow" pattern, the rest of the patterns and lightheads at the same..

Reactions: bushytas

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Those minis replacing the alleys seem to get lost in the corner assemblies. Is there a a way to alternate them with off time or something. Otherwise, awesome build.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
Nice! Great build Tim! Have you considered sending some LR11's off to Wilson for some blue LED's? I think that would look better on the ends. Still awesome though!

Camerin

Sep 17, 2010
FL-NH-AK
Awesome bar! Great use of different manufactures products to produce one hell of a bar.

If you made that in red I'm sure it would sell like hot cakes.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
JohnMarcson said:
Those minis replacing the alleys seem to get lost in the corner assemblies. Is there a a way to alternate them with off time or something. Otherwise, awesome build.

If I spliced them into the opposite side corner, I could get that effect... I was trying not to do any adverse splicing and just use the output that were available... Using the alley light outputs lets me use the flash patterns on the lighthead itself, and I really like that "Glow" pattern... lol If I changed the flash pattern on the corners, like a double flash, it would probably help also... But I like my Action Flash... lol

emtanderson51 said:
Nice! Great build Tim! Have you considered sending some LR11's off to Wilson for some blue LED's? I think that would look better on the ends. Still awesome though!

If I had any LR-11s, I would most definitely do that... lol I've been on the hunt for some (used, cheaper priced) for a while now... lol I originally had the LED3s mounted to a MR-11 alley light assembley, which put the lighthead on the outside of the corner modules. But for some reason the mount itself wouldn't let the endcap seal up the the frame.

Camerin said:
Awesome bar! Great use of different manufactures products to produce one hell of a bar.

If you made that in red I'm sure it would sell like hot cakes.

Thanks... This was actually the original plan for my bar (using Solaris heads), but when it came time to build it, Solaris heads (with wiring) were no where to be found... lol

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
So last night in chat, the idea of putting a set of Feniex Cannons on the Whelen MR-11 mounts was brought up... (I forget who actually brought it up, but I'm sure they'll chime in... LoL)

Well, since I was bored tonight... (Pardon their crudeness, I was only using parts available at the time... If I move forward with actually using these, I'll make them look better...)

MR-Cannons 01.jpg

MR-Cannons 02.jpg

MR-Cannons 03.jpg

I used my set of Blue/White Cannons for this...

If I move forward and use these in the bar:

- I'll make the White Mode primary and tie it into the Alley Light (yes I'm aware that they won't give the best output for this purpose, but I have other ideas to solve that issue).

- I'll make the Blue Mode secondary and tie them into the opposite side corner, thus giving an "inner/outer" type flash effect on the ends of the bar...

reddanny

Jun 4, 2010
ny ny
I was reading this post and I gotta tell you - awesome job. I feel like i play with light bars alot but I am loving this one.

great job - alley lights should come out good please pose video when done.

TritonBoulder47 said:
So last night in chat, the idea of putting a set of Feniex Cannons on the Whelen MR-11 mounts was brought up... (I forget who actually brought it up, but I'm sure they'll chime in... LoL)

Well, since I was bored tonight... (Pardon their crudeness, I was only using parts available at the time... If I move forward with actually using these, I'll make them look better...)

]

I used my set of Blue/White Cannons for this...

If I move forward and use these in the bar:

- I'll make the White Mode primary and tie it into the Alley Light (yes I'm aware that they won't give the best output for this purpose, but I have other ideas to solve that issue).

- I'll make the Blue Mode secondary and tie them into the opposite side corner, thus giving an "inner/outer" type flash effect on the ends of the bar...

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Well... I got to tinkering again, and made the mounts more appealing to the eye.. lol Basically, the mount holds the Cannon in the same way that it held the MR-11 bulb...

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_Lightbar_20Projec0e9dc281b90f1e5f9549e7903e18d03d.jpg

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_Lightbar_20Projec7b45db1c8432dc36491707f07bb9ced6.jpg

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_Lightbar_20Projecb66de2f94021af7ea9e897bfa9c52656.jpg

Now for the wiring... In my haste of this going together so easily, I forgot that the I/O Board switches everything negatively... So I'm gonna have to get some Diodes before I can wire this up for functionality...

In theory, I can "Y" the ground, running one to the Alley Light Ground and the other to the Corner Module Ground. Then tie the White Primary Activation to the Alley Power, and the Blue Secondary Activation to the Corner Module Power. I believe that will work, but it will have to wait until I attain some diodes... I thought I had some, but I was unable to find them...

Reactions: strobecrazy
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Mrlunchbox said:
You really do have a sickness! hahahaha :D GREAT WORK!! ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!!

Indeed... lol

uniden278 said:
Glad the cannon idea worked out... At least mounting wise so far.

Yeah, mounting in the MR-11 mount and mounting to the bar are done... Gotta investigate a little more on the fitment issue between the frame and endcaps with these inplace... And then do the wiring... But that will have to wait until after the holiday weekend... lol Hopefully I can find some diodes in my stash so I don't have to go on a hunt at radio shack... lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.