Detroit Fire Gets 5 New Engines

TJW

May 20, 2010
MB, Canada
Jph2, 

I don't know where/who informed you of the above comments but I'm quite confident you were misinformed. 

These 5 engines were built on Spartan Motors chassis (purchased per tender specs) with Smeal Fire Apparatus bodies. 

Spartan did donate $10,000.00 to DFD but certainly no chassis.

Long overdue replacement rigs.... I'd hazard to guess that DFD was running the oldest/highest miled/houred machines for front line of any major American city.... Their maintenance staff would be able to tell ya what works and what doesn't for sure. 

http://m.hemmingfire.com/news/fullstory.php/aid/2423/Spartan_Motors_builds_ten_new_apparatus_for_the_Detroit_Fire_Department.html

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
As I've mentioned in other threads about Detroit.. 35%-40% of their pre-bankruptcy budget went to debt payments. Now that they are clear from bankruptcy the city has an additional $400 million to spend each year on services. Most of this money will go toward police, fire and information technology. Expect to see many new patrol cars, ambulances and fire vehicles arriving in Detroit in the next few years.

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Officials in Detroit unveiled 5 new fire engines today. They're custom-built by Spartan with a value of $477k each. Spartan donated the chassis.

awww.gannett_cdn.com__mm__7519133999c9043638ec8f36a6c73af1ab9e2dd8ca2481ce19c9bfadb8e872c9690d.jpg

Image from the Detroit News: Detroit shows off its new, shiny firetrucks

1/2 million bucks sounds like a lot of money for a Smeal on a basic config Metro Star chassis.  I know the DFD used a lot of Pierce, among others, in the past and I honestly think they could've gotten superior apparatus from Pierce at that price range.  I do love the Spartan chassis, but I think the overall apparatus build, quality, & reliability at Pierce is second to none.  We just received a new Impel for around the same price, and I'm sure the newly redesigned Enforcer & Saber would've been even more economical options

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.