Do you like having ride alongs?

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
But it is kinda sweet to have a rider since here in Texas we can actually deputise someone if we need to yes we can do that look it up on the Texas Penal Code. So when i have a rider i expect his ass to pull some weight and if i get into some Sh*t hes gonna be in there with me also. I show them how to use the Remington 870 show them were the safety is and tell them which end is the boom stick end and if they aim that at a bad guy and press that lil button they go bye bye. Just in case i get shot "hopefully" my rider shoots back and takes him out.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
At least you aren't using the rider as a portable piece of cover/bullet sponge/ IED scout: "Pull that wire and tell me if anything happens, I'll be behind the car checking the tire pressure."

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
Station 3 said:
But it is kinda sweet to have a rider since here in Texas we can actually deputise someone if we need to yes we can do that look it up on the Texas Penal Code. So when i have a rider i expect his ass to pull some weight and if i get into some Sh*t hes gonna be in there with me also. I show them how to use the Remington 870 show them were the safety is and tell them which end is the boom stick end and if they aim that at a bad guy and press that lil button they go bye bye. Just in case i get shot "hopefully" my rider shoots back and takes him out.
Can I come ride with you?! :mrgreen:

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Station 3 said:

People in Texas dont know how to handle a firearm? I thought it was a way of life over there..lol

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
Station 3 said:

Haha! I always tell my riders the same thing. Granted, all of my riders have been family or friends, but I always tell them "If I get shot and I look back and you're hiding or just sitting there, I'll shoot you if I can!" Then I'll show them how to work the shotgun.

WhiteLite03

Oct 7, 2010
Middle Tennessee
When I started at the agency I'm with now, we were allowed a ride along during training, and another during CPA (new civilian employees are required to go through CPA as part of orientation.) Both officers that got stuck with me were great, one on day shift and another on midnights. While it would have been interesting to make a lot of traffic stops, it didn't upset me that we didn't. I actually ended up in booking 4 times over the two days, but only did one traffic stop. Got to sit in the front seat, with a suspect in the back, who complained the entire time about the fact that he didn't do anything, and he wanted to know why he was in custody, while the officer was inside the house taking the burglary report. That was interesting. On the other hand, I've been in LE dispatch for a little over 3 years, so I don't ask a ton of questions when I get to ride.

mfdbenji

May 21, 2010
Castleton, Vermont
Went on a ride a long with a trooper when I first started working dispatch. He showed me where he kept his Shotgun, and told me, if he starts getting shot or hurt, shoot everyone else but him and we will figure it out later.

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
rwo978 said:
Are you a cop? Do you know what it's like to have an 'office' uprooted? No on both, right?

It throws you off, which is what most guys are saying. True, you don't use 90% of the crap in your bag. But, just at the point you don't grab something from your bag you're going to have to fish around in your bag, in the trunk for it. It's a little awkward.

Until you know anything about this, your opinion is moot.

And thats exactly why when I end up in the front seat of a police car (either to move it on a scene or for a ride to or from a scene) I am always careful not to breathe in the wrong direction. I am not terrified - I just want to make sure not to move or screw with any of the officer's stuff.

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
mfdbenji said:
Went on a ride a long with a trooper when I first started working dispatch. He showed me where he kept his Shotgun, and told me, if he starts getting shot or hurt, shoot everyone else but him and we will figure it out later.

I've been told the opposite. When the question of "What would have to happen for me to get to shoot that rifle?" comes up, the answer is "Nothing. Shit hits the fan, you are to climb into the driver seat, throw it in reverse, and take off as fast as possible. Then call for help"

I think the middle ground would be to take off forward and run someone over. :cool:

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
ISU_Cyclone said:
I've been told the opposite. When the question of "What would have to happen for me to get to shoot that rifle?" comes up, the answer is "Nothing. Shit hits the fan, you are to climb into the driver seat, throw it in reverse, and take off as fast as possible. Then call for help"

I think the middle ground would be to take off forward and run someone over. :cool:

The way i think is if i get shot some MothaFu*#er is going down with me because im going down unloading my Springfield XD or until i cant squeeze the trigger anymore and i expect my ride along to do the same. If not get the hell out my unit and put my patrol bag back in the front seat where it belongs :lol:

patrol530

May 23, 2010
Central Florida
Thread's still delivering? I still don't like ride alongs, however, when I did have them, I'd put an airweight smith 5 shot in the glovebox and instruct them to only use it to defend themselves in an emergency, and to absolutely never attempt to assist me. Should something happen, and they had the means to retreat, they were to do so. Incidentally, policy did require that they wear a vest, and we were forbidden to become involved in a pursuit if a civilian rider was present.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Our only policy is that the rider has to be some sort of emergency personnel either EMS,FIRE Or LEO or you have to be a police cadet or thinking about going to the police academy. Kinda stupid i know but Chiefs orders what you gonna do :roll: :lol:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I like having riders in general, but I really like having Medic and EMT students the most... they are often very helpful.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
I used to ride with my father in law (to be), but as of last year the policy changed. Only family or department members can ride along unless the chief says otherwise. Since I am not married to his daughter yet, I am not considered family.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Station 3 said:

You don't need to tell me NUTHIN bout a 870, i've got one of my own. :D

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
Ben E. said:
Because the one that always wants to ride stinks like cat piss, makes weird tick noises like tourett's syndrom, tells me 50 times a night "man I hope we get into a chase or get a big drug bust", or "let's go bust some speeders". Dude, shut the fuck up. I have more than just 2 highways to patrol, mainly a downtown and residential area which make up the other 99% of this town. You don't know how to do the paperwork, so you're gonna point out someone for me to stop then make me do all the work, because all you want to do is make sure someone you know sees you on the side of the road in uniform.

On the other hand, our OTHER reserve is awesome and he can ride with me any time.

AMEN Bro! I also agree with RWO and Stendec. I like my equipment within reach. I didn't really like riding with partners or trainee's when I was an FTO. But it is nice to have a trained partner when you need them. Trainees are very high stress riders, you never know what their going to do.

If I had my choice it would be the sane reserve (who has a job and doesn't live with mom and dad), police explorer, cake eating civilian in that order. I have had bad experiences with news media and college students (those that are writing a report that turns out to justify their hatred for the police). I will refuse to take members of MADD or SADD. That's worse than dealing with the idiot (trainee) that became a cop because their brother was killed by a drunk driver or their sister was raped.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
Stendec said:
"Yes, I have to count the change in the cupholder, and no, I'm not going to cut the car into pieces looking for dope with an airhammer because they did it on COPS."

BAWWWAHAHAHAAHAHHA....ain't that the truth!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevieandrew

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.