Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I havn't talked to the customer.... BUT... the things that stick out to me most is the amount of money spent to do such a minuscule job.

Switching from Cannons to T-6's not only would have saved the customer $90 but also would have been more effective. I would have started out with just the storm siren. No need for the 4200 at this stage of the game. The storm could have handled the lights and if they upgraded the lighting package in the future it woudl have tied in easily at that time.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Here's a link to that same truck from further back.

We need a mod to combine his two threads and rename them to "this is how you know you're in the wrong line of work".

I mean at least this time they weren't crooked but WHY?????? ONE T6 would have been more effective. Not one pair but one light!

Aug 24, 2013
tennesse
He did have any other switches already in the truck he is wanting to add a interior Apollo bar front and rear when released and not sure what else he wants yet

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I really wish I had customers like that..

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
911graphicsandlighting said:
He did have any other switches already in the truck he is wanting to add a interior Apollo bar front and rear when released and not sure what else he wants yet

There is no explaining it. You just ran four hundred dollars worth of lights off of a $400 controller. You could have ran those lights and the Apollo light bars off of one $2 toggle switch. Seriously. Find a new line of work or at least sit back and read the forum until you learn more about lights before you're laughed off the forum.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
There will be 2 bad lead times on the amber t-6

I'm assuming this is why you chose cannons instead of T-6's?

There are plenty of dealers that have them in stock. I've helped out/been helped by VecTec, SirenWorld, Not Normal, and several other Feniex dealers during bad lead times. Lead times are a part of the industry which is why you try to stock as much as possible. BUT... don't be afraid to go outside the box and get something from another dealer. I've had to do it to get a customer taken care of. I've also just passed a customer onto another dealer that I knew had something in stock. Most of the larger Feniex distributors do get along ok.

TX_Mark

Jun 17, 2013
San Antonio,TX
That why there is only 1 t-6 to rear customer requested cannons one for size and two for the flood option to the front of the truck at night

The Titans series would have been better for his flood option. You have to remember people come to you to install the stuff they need, so it's pretty safe to say they don't know what they really want or need.. Or are lazy/don't have the time or tools to do it themselves. You really should have a chat with them first and HELP the customer pick what is best for the application. To me that truck looks like ... twinkle twinkle little star!

Not bashing.. Being up front.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
So your saying a customer comes in and says this is what I want your going to say no

I'm not bashing you. I said in my original post "I havn't talked to the customer here"

I would try considerably to explain (and do side by side comparisons as well as show videos) the reasons why certain lightheads are not meant to be used in certain applications. I guess it is different up there... down here the $90 savings on the lightheads alone would of been convinced all of my customers to go with the cheaper light head that works better.

Additionally the T-6 would have been an easier install than a cannon.

There's plenty and I'm willing to accept it .

I don't have the luxury of having customers with tons of cash to blow down here. I'm constantly trying to find the cheapest way to get their car taken care of because that is what they demand/need. I've sold several 4200's and countless Cannons but never in a fashion like this. You seem to have a knack for selling. I wish I had it. Business would be a lot different.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
That why there is only 1 t-6 to rear customer requested cannons one for size and two for the flood option to the front of the truck at night

I recommended t-6 to front but wouldnt go for it

Then this setup is on the customer. Like I said, I wish I had customers like this. The extra money per install would add up nicely.

Aug 24, 2013
tennesse
I did over a 2 hr period of walking through the install with him he spent a lot on this setup. And to a lot if people 90 is a lot but to some it just don't matter but what they want and will not have it any other way

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
It seems to be a common thing that these people who are making excuses about their installations blame it on the customers desires. Obviously in some of the cases this is true. But not all of them!

I truly don't believe that if you showed a guy T6 next to a cannon they would pick the cannon for that type of install. From my limited experience customers don't usually come in requesting that type of item. They will either come and saying I need a Whelen or "linear light" but rarely actually know specific model names. The ones that do know specific models are generally the ones who have done research and would never choose that poorly.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
To move forward what other recommendations do you have for the rest if the truck.

I needs an interior lightbar, and TWO BIG GRILL LIGHTS!!! Not twinkle twinkle little star Christmas lights.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
To move forward what other recommendations do you have for the rest if the truck.

Have him rip the tint down if he is going to put an apollo bar in. Otherwise he needs to just go with a pegasus

Are the cannons amber or red?

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX

How about some substantial lighting now that you have all the cute stuff taken care of. Put an interior lightbar and a dash light and two larger or four smaller lights in the grill and some LAWs or maybe strobes. Then at least t6 on each side and two cobra 800 sticks stacked on top of each other and synced and some LAWs in the tail lights or strobes or TLF.

Aug 24, 2013
tennesse
That is my thought also and in advise him to use a cobra 800 to rear instead of the Apollo for concerns of bit not being bright enough just judging off the 2x

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
you may also consider removing all your little twinkly lights and moving those to the side of the truck instead of the t6 I recommended above or in addition to them but they look really goofy and like toys where you have them.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX

Additional lighting all around the truck to provide warning, again this is where you step in and educate the customer and show them a safe effective setup compared to the ineffective setup that he/she wants.

Its not all about "i have blinkies and shit", we are here to do a job and that is to provide emergency services to people in the safest way possible and that does include responding in a safe effective vehicle that will get the publics attention and not one that will cause more problems and crashes due to its ineffectiveness.

But thats just me, I do make money, but I am not here to just make money, I am here to provide safe effective warning systems for all my customers no matter what. I have and will continue to turn down business when I have a "woo woo" aka "whacker" who wants a shitty setup, guess what happens when they spend money on shitty equipment and installs. They come to me to fix their eff'd up setups. Its plain and simple, I will not be responsible for a dumbass customer who wants a shit install, who causes someone to lose their life because they don't know shit about warning equipment.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
And that's my thoughts exactly about it

Then talk to your customer into it and then post pictures of a good install so we can compliment you on your installation rather than make fun of it. I'm sure most of the installers on this site have done very small jobs and have done some very poor jobs while learning. But they never posted pictures of those until they learned enough to get it right.

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
Are they red or are they amber? Video makes it hard to tell. Did the customer also pick the pattern on this one to?

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Cannons are great little lights. As surface mount they are NOT meant for primary warning. Ancillary warning/secondary, yes. As HAWs they are pretty darned good.

As for the application here... This guy will end up in an MVA because he will not be effectively seen. His own decision for the install or not, just remember when he gets hit, or hits someone else, remember who did the install. If there's a good lawyer out there, he will write your little name in on the affidavit as well for such a pathetic install as a contributing factor. I know if I was a lawyer I would have the upfitter on the stand. Try and justify why you installed what you did. "Because this is what the customer wanted, and even though I knew it was ineffective/dangerous and told him the same thing, I did the install anyway".

How do you think THAT is going to hold up as a defense in court??? He will mention how nice the 4200 is, and then mention how those tiny twinkly little lights care mainly blocked by that BIG front bumper.

Remember, things can come back to bit you in the ass later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 12, 2012
NC / TN / CT / SD
Just a option for a much better front setup

if your customer wants a flood option would be to use a T6 dual bezel with a titan flood head over a t6 warning head for the grille.

then replace the cannons on the bumpers with single t6's

simple slightly custom and effective

then use the cannons either on the sides or light housings

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
soooooo....got any more crappy installs you wish to share with us?

Can I also suggest you stop using Feniex products...you are making a good company look bad.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Advancedstreet

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.