"Doubling up" a strobe PS?

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
I have two old strobe power supplies. They are, I think, from the mid or late 80s - VAMA units, from before FedSig acqured VAMA. One is a 2-outlet and the other is a 4-outlet. They both work just fine, double flashing, but the flash pattern is very slow.

A technical question: would it be possible to connect both outlets to the same strobe light, to get a faster pattern? The output alternates between the two outlets, doesn't it? And I'm guessing all wires wouldn't even need to connect - one ground would be sufficient for the strobe light?

If this works, then by extension the 4-outlet could become a 2-outlet with a faster pattern? Or am I just going to cause a mushroom cloud if I try this?

Hopefully my explanation makes sense.

I've worked on an ambulance that had the center clear strobe setup this way. All you have to do is run the trigger wire to the lighthead from the second outlet.

OK, thanks, I'll have to try it. Now I just have to figure out which wire is the trigger.

Usually the white wire is the trigger.

Usually, yes... but there is nothing usual about this PS. It has a single 8-pin connector for everything (power, ground and two strobe heads it seems) and none of the wires are white. But I think I have it figured out now.

You should be able to call up VAMA, give them the model number, and they should be able to tell you what wire does what. That is a very odd setup though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381