Site News Downsizing

JohnMarcson

Site Founder
Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
As previously discussed in What Matters Thread the site is downsizing to be more in line with the current usage. The existing posts will remain active so they can be searched as a major function of the site is an archive of info.

Basically the site will be returning to its roots, with a few basic sections.

• Technical Discussions
    • Modern
    • Vintage
  • For Sale/Trade/Wanted
    • For sale and Trade
    • Wanted
  • Resources
    • Feedback
    • Tech support
Prefixes will be added to help sort threads. Please ask for any prefixes (tags) you don't see.

Please start posting new threads in these sections now.

The classified now mix vintage and modern, there are prefixes to denote which type of item is being listed. All general discussions are either vintage or modern, there isn't a need for more categories.

In the future the old sections will become "auto collapsed" and older threads locked. The face of the site will be the top 3 sections. The current threads aren't moving in order to avoid breaking google results.

PM me with any permissions, location, or other issues related to the changes.

As always, thanks for your participation.

John

Last edited:
It's come a long way, but getting back to the "original categories" is fitting.

An early animation I made that I still randomly see online sometimes....
aniMX7000.gif

elightbars.org
2002 elb.png

elightbarsforum.org
anilogo.gifelb 2003.png

members.boardhost.com/RAM4
waybak2.png

Last edited:
I fondly remember your animations, and I even made a few of my own - some got pretty intricate, with them being part of a web page and each rotator being it's own animation, set at a very slightly different speed to capture the true random nature of rotators - all of which have been inspired by your work, @JohnMarcson .

@Stampeed Valkyrie , I enjoy your YouTube videos, but what's your issue with Whelen? Just curious.

Thanks! And for the record, I'm a long time member but monitor these forums mostly by email, and use the Facebook groups more frequently.

Reactions: JohnMarcson
I appreciate the more streamlined interface and easier access to the only two forums I frequent (Vintage and For Sale). Since the "Light Barn" days, I've enjoyed the fantastic resources this site has offered, and have learned much about the hobby from it. Thank you (and all who manage it) for your continued dedication and effort to making it accessible and "user friendly!"

I appreciate the more streamlined interface and easier access to the only two forums I frequent (Vintage and For Sale). Since the "Light Barn" days, I've enjoyed the fantastic resources this site has offered, and have learned much about the hobby from it. Thank you (and all who manage it) for your continued dedication and effort to making it accessible and "user friendly!"
It is interesting that the main two sections that the site originally had before growing during the "heyday of forums" are the same two that are most important now in the "post forum era". I guess that goes to show what information is really the most popular and valuable all other things being equal.

I fondly remember your animations, and I even made a few of my own - some got pretty intricate, with them being part of a web page and each rotator being it's own animation, set at a very slightly different speed to capture the true random nature of rotators - all of which have been inspired by your work, @JohnMarcson .

@Stampeed Valkyrie , I enjoy your YouTube videos, but what's your issue with Whelen? Just curious.

Thanks! And for the record, I'm a long time member but monitor these forums mostly by email, and use the Facebook groups more frequently.
I have been summoned..

Whelen.. ... .......
Ok do a forums search of my name and whelen.. if your looking for a laugh.
As this could be a new thread by itself.. I spent way too much time keeping Edge series bars alive for a local muni. Locating parts for vintage whelen anything is a feat of insanity, and often the really old whelen stuff is also really janky. Whelen has always been known for proprietary everything, which makes repair impossible when they use proprietary things like bulbs and they are long out production.

Hope that clears it up...

Reactions: Doug and tsquale
I have been summoned..

Whelen.. ... .......
Ok do a forums search of my name and whelen.. if your looking for a laugh.
As this could be a new thread by itself.. I spent way too much time keeping Edge series bars alive for a local muni. Locating parts for vintage whelen anything is a feat of insanity, and often the really old whelen stuff is also really janky. Whelen has always been known for proprietary everything, which makes repair impossible when they use proprietary things like bulbs and they are long out production.

Hope that clears it up...
Facts...

I remember someone (probably not @Stampeed Valkyrie ) trying to replace an inboard strobe on an edge and they made a new thread each time they got the wrong thing, but never posted a picture. We must have run through every reflector and tube style at the time (it was that Transition period between Twist Lock, and replaceable, and non-replaceablele turbo). like five separate threads in we realized he needed a halogen bulb. We didn't always have a camera in our pockets in 2001.

Hi,

Yeah. No handy phone camera, unless you had an Ericsson phone.

We put those in, well actually On rather than In, with the t68 circa 1999. It was a small phone and we made a small camera module known as the CommuniCam that attached to the bottom of the phone via the system connector. It wasn't but a couple models later we put the camera inside the phone itself.

And then we added PDA functions and ever more stuff over the next couple years until we had the early smartphone. The rest of that story everyone knows. ;)

I was R&D with IBM 1981-94 and then Ericsson 1994-2010.

Stan

Hi,

Yeah. No handy phone camera, unless you had an Ericsson phone.

We put those in, well actually On rather than In, with the t68 circa 1999. It was a small phone and we made a small camera module known as the CommuniCam that attached to the bottom of the phone via the system connector. It wasn't but a couple models later we put the camera inside the phone itself.

And then we added PDA functions and ever more stuff over the next couple years until we had the early smartphone. The rest of that story everyone knows. ;)

I was R&D with IBM 1981-94 and then Ericsson 1994-2010.

Stan
In like 2003 or 2004 someone flooded the site with pixelated postage stamps of their project, I think it was an install. They then asked a lot of very specific questions and proceed to get mad that none of use could discern the wire color in the postage stamp size potato quality pics they posted in no specific order. Good times.

Hi,

What? No one here has the Magic Law&Order Lousy Picture Un-Pixelator option? :p

Yeah. Our first phone cam was VGA with a fixed focus lens. It produced a highly compressed Jpeg that was then sent via Bluetooth to a computer. It was pretty good, but only because it allowed me to always have a camera with me, which was a new concept at the time.

Probably wasn't a good choice to shoot items one needed to ask questions about.....

Stan

Reactions: JohnMarcson

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNConstable