eBay Defeated Me!

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
So, I got a nasty gram from eBay today. It was entitled "eBay Listing Removed: Law Enforcement Items". The contents are as follows:

Dear *** (***@comcast.net),

You recently listed the following listing:

******** - Star/SVP ULB9 Mini Phantom MAX LED, R/B *FREE SHIPPING*

Unfortunately, we had to remove your listing because the following information violates our policy:

We have removed your item because you have listed an emergency lighting unit that flashes red/blue. eBay prohibits listings for emergency lighting units or units with colored lenses that flash red, blue, or green. Due to the concern that people may use police-related items to misrepresent themselves as a law enforcement officer to the public, and for the safety of the community, eBay does not permit these items to be listed on the site. Please do not relist this item.

Listings for items that can be used to impersonate a law enforcement official are not permitted on eBay. This includes law enforcement badges, equipment, or uniforms issued by any international, federal, state, or local law enforcement agency or government. For this reason, listings for emergency vehicle lighting or sirens are not permitted.

For more information on this eBay policy, please visit:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/police.html

Please note: violation of this or other eBay policies may result in forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings, limits on account privileges and account suspension.

You can review our list of prohibited and restricted items here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/items-ov.html

Thanks for your understanding.

If you have any more questions, chat with one of our policy experts any time from 6:00 AM to 11:00 PM MST. Get started by clicking the link below.

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactUsNextGen&Format=1&pid=828

Sincerely,

eBay Trust and Safety team

Why eBay may remove your listing:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/questions/listing-ended.html

H5171

I immediately logged onto their customer service chat to voice my concern, dissatisfaction, and expectations. My friends, they reinstated me because I called them out! It was a small victory, and really probably doesn't matter much to a lot of you, but it made me feel good that because I followed their rules AS THEY ARE STATED - they abided by them!

Initial Question/Comment: PI-INF-VeRO Questions

13:23:10 System

Thank you for contacting eBay Live Help!

13:23:10 System

You are successfully connected to eBay Live help. Please hold for the next available Trust and Safety Expert.

13:24:05 System

We appreciate your patience. You will be able to type in your questions as soon as you are connected with a Trust and Safety Expert. Please continue to hold for the next available representative.

13:24:30 System

Melanie W. has joined this session!

13:24:30 System

Connected with Melanie W.

13:24:30 Melanie W.

Hello, thank you for waiting and welcome to eBay鳠Live Help. My name is Melanie. So that I can best help you can I quickly have you verify your Name and USER ID.

13:24:50 "Dave"

Hi Malanie. My name is David *****, user ID: "Dave".

13:25:10 Melanie W.

Thank you for verifying that information, David. How can I help you today?

13:26:37 "Dave"

I was notified that my listing (#*****) was removed because "eBay prohibits listings for emergency lighting units or units with colored lenses that flash red, blue, or green." The lights I had listed have clear lenses, as stated in the listing. I was just wondering why the auction was pulled?

13:27:00 Melanie W.

Oh I am sorry to hear that your listing was removed. Give me a moment to look over the notes here and we can go from there. Also is this the only issue for me today?

13:27:16 "Dave"

Yes ma'am, it is.

13:28:15 Melanie W.

Ok, I see the confusion. First the image shows clear lenses and you state that. However, you also have this phrase in the description, "Color: Red/Blue"

13:30:34 "Dave"

True, but per your policy, lenses must be clear. A quick search would show you that there are literally hundreds (if not thousands) of listings of comparable lights with clear lenses, but color displayed. In fact, there are readily available listings right now with both blue and red lenses shown in the listing pictures.

13:32:20 Melanie W.

I know it can be frustrating to see listings for items similar to yours when we've removed your listing.

13:32:38 "Dave"

To say the least.

13:33:26 "Dave"

I was abiding by eBay's regulations, as they are stated.

13:33:30 Melanie W.

At this point, your listing was removed in error. However, after I reinstate it could you please add some text that say color display comes in red or blue.

13:34:02 "Dave"

I can absolutely do that. I appreciate your help in this matter.

13:34:55 Melanie W.

Not a problem, I apologize that the item was removed in error. Give me about 10 more minutes to reinstate the listing and remove the violation from your account.

13:35:05 Melanie W.

Is there anything else you needed today?

13:35:16 "Dave"

That would be. Thanks again!

13:35:25 Melanie W.

You're welcome! It has been a pleasure chatting with you today.

13:35:36 "Dave"

The same with you. Have a great day.

13:36:45 Melanie W.

David, Thank you for using eBay's Live Customer Support. We value your business and have a wonderful day.

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
Typical ebay...... they don't even know their own rules:

13:33:30 Melanie W.

At this point, your listing was removed in error. However, after I reinstate it could you please add some text that say color display comes in red or blue.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
One customer service person will say one thing, the next something different. They have no idea what their own rules say.

FF Vince

Oct 9, 2010
Upstate, New York
I find it funny they will not allow the sale of warning lights with colored lenses. Emergency lights can be purchased very very easy with a quick google search and credit card. I am glad they realized they made a mistake and corrected it.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
I basically told them the same - there are literally hundreds of listings of modern lights on their sites, with visible red/blue lenses in the listing pictures. They picked mine out of the crowd? Just didn't make sense.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
I find that if your listing is "pulled", it is either someone else has a similar item an wanted to eliminate competition, or someone bidded on your item and got out bidded by someone else, and copped a hiss fit.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
jdh said:
I find that if your listing is "pulled", it is either someone else has a similar item an wanted to eliminate competition, or someone bidded on your item and got out bidded by someone else, and copped a hiss fit.

I figured as much. There was a similar listing that was about $25 more than mine.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
ebay relies mostly on reports from other users.... so like stated above if someone else is selling similar stuff they often report you. But the main problem is the people who investigate the reports don't know the rules... there are just too many categories for uniform enforcment of restricted items.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand a jolly "eff you" to eBay. My listing just got pulled AGAIN, this after I did just what the last customer service rep told me to do. That's the last straw - I won't be selling on fleaBay ever again.

Truck26

May 21, 2010
NYC
sbparkcop said:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand a jolly "eff you" to eBay. My listing just got pulled AGAIN, this after I did just what the last customer service rep told me to do. That's the last straw - I won't be selling on fleaBay ever again.

Now you defeated ebay!!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Yeah, ebay isn't the place to sell lights....

wfd67

May 25, 2010
San Francisco area, CA
Like John says, eBay relies heavily on users to police the forums, but I know a number of fellow badges who also watch the listings to protect the profession. (eBay was first put on notice by the CHP when they started seeing items creeping up on whackers out here, but don't seem to limit their flagging of items to folks claiming they're in California, I guess on the thought that even if the seller is elsewhere, the item could end up here.) CHP has been vigilant on all public safety stuff on eBay (colored lights, sirens, the works), and I guess they get a bit more clout since eBay corporate is also out here. :S

patrol530

May 23, 2010
Central Florida
Really? I prefer to restrict my "enforcement" duties to the County that I'm employed in. It never occurred to me to devote even one iota of my time to fleabay blinkie enforcement. I'd venture that most of the user complaints are generated by other sellers and not "badges" looking to keep the public safe by ratting out blue/red blinkie sales. To believe that stemming the sale of blinkies on fleabay is going to even remotely discourage a warped mind is nearly as warped as the aforementioned disturbed mind. Maybe I've just enough to do already, without deputizing myself as protector of interwebs commerce.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I got an ebay tech support person to admit to me that most of their pulled listings stem from other sellers. They know it and rely on it actually.

May 22, 2010
New York City
it really amazes me, how people buy knockoff talons for over $100 on ebay....... and they sellers keep selling them and not get caught, but i wanted to sell 1 real talon, im sure my listing will be pulled very quickly !!!

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
You do realize that red, green, or blue LEDs for emergency vehicles are restricted as per the link in your email from eBay? Just because it has a clear lens does not mean it is allowed per eBay rules, they clearly state red, green, or blue LEDs for emergency vehicles are not allowed. Only amber and clear LEDs are allowed, clear means white; same as being a white halogen light with an amber or clear lens. You listing per their rules should not have been relisted as you LEDs are red & blue.

Sure eBay's rules suck big time and I do not like them, but they are a private company can can limit what ever they want.

Not allowed
*Fully operational emergency vehicles with lights, sirens, and so on

*Lighting for emergency vehicles

*Listings for emergency lighting systems that have black and white or stock images

*Red, green, or blue lenses used for emergency vehicle lights

*Red, green, or blue LEDs for emergency vehicles

*Siren controls or amplifiers for emergency vehicles

*Specific law enforcement decals

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
K9Vic said:
You do realize that red, green, or blue LEDs for emergency vehicles are restricted as per the link in your email from eBay? Just because it has a clear lens does not mean it is allowed per eBay rules, they clearly state red, green, or blue LEDs for emergency vehicles are not allowed. Only amber and clear LEDs are allowed, clear means white; same as being a white halogen light with an amber or clear lens. You listing per their rules should not have been relisted as you LEDs are red & blue.

Sure eBay's rules suck big time and I do not like them, but they are a private company can can limit what ever they want.

The lights I listed displayed red and blue. They did not have the restricted colored lenses and the LEDs themselves are clear. They just display a specific color. There's an attention to detail missing, here. ;)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.