Evolution Of The Federal Vitalite

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
I recently got another 12V Vitalite. this one is a B1 version with a big rectangle magnet on the base. The Decal just says FS FEDERAL Vitalite.
whereas my other vitalite says Vitalite Federal Sign and Signal and has the 3 small magnets on the bottom. Was the bigger magnet an option? Whats the difference between the A1 and B1?

Reactions: kitn1mcc

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
B1 was the latest version. It came out at the same time as the newest version of teardrop FireBall. Both had the new larger magnet as one of the design changes. This version Vitalite was available with either a base down 1195 bulb, or a base down H1 55 Watt halogen bulb. B1 also added a friction wheel to keep the reflector rotating off level.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
BAD NEWS!
The Federal Vitalite used in The Streets Of San Francisco TV show was not a Vitalite at all, at least in the episode pictured in the attached video stating at 0:38.
It was actually a Grote Vitalite clone. The tell tale signs are:
1. The dome retaining band has a snap tension clip not the Federal screw clip.
2. The friction disc is white plastic, not the Federal aluminum.
3. The light sits up on the higher Grote magnets, not the low profile Federal.

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: OliverD

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I could never sit through a full episode of SOSF or S&H, but I do remember the 'throw light'. I don't know what kind of sirens the cars had, but the dubbed in siren sound is a Federal PA20 (not a PA20A).

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
I think they dubbed a wail and yelp running together which is cool but not a real siren back then. Now you can get dual amps from many companies. You would need 2 speakers also.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Just grabbed another piece of the Vitalite puzzle.
A 1961-1962 vintage first version using the bakelite socket shown on page 1 of this post. This is the socket used in the very first Welen Rota-Beam RB10/RB11, and the original version Federal Flash Ball.
This is a Model 121S, 120 Volt AC Series A1
Excellent cosmetic and operating condition.
12th Vitalite in this sub-collection.S6305757.JPG S6305758.JPG S6305759.JPG S6305760.JPG

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I've noticed an issue with the 121H. The focal point of the H1 bulb's filament is higher than is should be, causing a lower than optimal beam. I can see it in your video, as well. This causes the 121H to not present it's beam on the horizontal. I've noticed this in all 121Hs that I've seen. Design flaw??

On my truck I use a newer version 121 and replaced the 1195 incandescent bulb with a 795X halogen. This has perfect focal alignment, and a horizontal beam, much better than the 121H.
This would also work by replacing the bulb on the older series A1.

Reactions: OliverD

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.