Federal FIRE BALL Family History

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
FB-1 magnets were never good on a moving vehicle:

Back in 1960, the town cruiser used a blue magnetic Fire Ball. Going around a corner on a call, officer saw the Fire Ball bouncing on the street next to the cruiser. When he got back to the station, put the pieces on the chief's desk, and got the hell out of there.

Fireball

May 14, 2011
France / PARIS
dmathieu said:

Back in 1960, the town cruiser used a blue magnetic Fire Ball. Going around a corner on a call, officer saw the Fire Ball bouncing on the street next to the cruiser. When he got back to the station, put the pieces on the chief's desk, and got the hell out of there.

And after the light is out of service ?

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Beacons don't seem to work too well after they've been bounced off the road.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:
The FireBeam Model FB3 could probably be considered the Version 4 Fire Ball.
This was a halogen 68000 CP rotator.

Available in single speed 90 or 175 FPM, or dual speed 95 or 175 FPM controled by a slide switch on the back of the light.

There was also a UltraFlash 7 flash mirror that attached to the bottom of the light.

Nice Firebeam, Dan. I have one that came with a clear dome and has a red 1/2 dome and blue 1/2 dome along with the mirror attachment.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:

That reminds me of Ellis Funeral Home's 1958 Chrysler wagon ambulance. It had an original Model 15 Jr. Beacon on top with a big B&M siren on the rt. fender. The junior had the original magnets and the small clip that could be used to secure the light to the roof with a single sheetmetal screw. But even with that screw in place, that poor junior came off two or three times and had to be sent back to Federal for a rebuild. At that time Ellis' first-out ambulance was a '59 Ford wagon with a 17 on top and a B&M siren underhood. In Sept. 1960, Ellis bought a '61 Chevy Panel truck to replace the Ford as first out ambulance. The 17 from the Ford and the B&M siren from the Chrysler went on the new ambulance. The junior which had been on the Chrysler went on the Ford to replace the 17 and it became the backup unit. The Chrysler was then retired. The junior was roof-mounted on the Ford and they never worried about losing it again. But in 1963, the Ford was replaced with a '63 Chevy wagon, and they tried to use the junior as a portable light again, but by then the old original magnets were worn-out. Some idiot tried to use suction cups on the light....and that spelled doom for the poor thing. When it went sailing again, that was the end of the junior...and end of the story!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:
In Ryan's collection

Nice. I've seen sets like the top two cowl mounted on some of the van and modular ambulances; but most of those had foil or something else inside the back of the domes to prevent flashback.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
dmathieu said:
Like these

I still have one of those for sale...and the domes in the pics...anyone? .... the rear black out was common for the hood mount.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I pickd up this original Cycle Signal Harley Davidson motor cycle light using the original FB-1 modified for motorcycle use, with telescoping pole.

The light works, but everything is in rough shape. The mast is broken. I'll have to figure out how to fix or replace the broken tube of the mast, and do a complete rebuild.

Part / Model # is 67625-64, 12 Volt, Serial # 2B12

S6303465.jpg

S6303466.jpg

S6303467.jpg

S6303468.jpg

S6303470.jpg

S6303471.jpg

S6303472.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I have a telescopic FB12 2nd Gen, but this new one is a original FB-1, so far the light and pole are in very tough shape.

I do have a beautiful, barely used, red Cycle Signal second Gen for sale, light without the pole.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:
I pickd up this original Cycle Signal Harley Davidson motor cycle light using the original FB-1 modified for motorcycle use, with telescoping pole.
The light works, but everything is in rough shape. The mast is broken. I'll have to figure out how to fix or replace the broken tube of the mast, and do a complete rebuild.

Part / Model # is 67625-64, 12 Volt, Serial # 2B12

Dan, I'd bet that you could still find a mast from a Harley dealer. Their plant is near Lancaster, PA, which isn't all that far from you. You might try them first.

Fireball

May 14, 2011
France / PARIS
dmathieu said:
Federal Signal's 2nd Version Flash Ball was still a non rotating light like the Version 1, with some design changes.
It had the larger magnet, Halogen or incandescent bulb and a new reflector and socket design.

The reflector was still statinary. the bulb was flashed by a flasher for a directional warning.

These Flash Balls are even more rare than the Version 1 Flash Balls.

Dan

do you have seen the FBF with the h1 lamp?

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Zodiac said:
Thanks for this response.

The history of this light is pretty amazing, actually, not this light in particular, but if you look at the last 20 years versus the last 40 years, the progress that has been made in vehicle lighting (not just emergency) is what amazes me.

I was just curious because even at $51, $10 off is a pretty deep discount.

I'd like to see emergency vehicles involved in accidents 40 years ago versus now to see how much more effective modern lighting is over antiquated lighting. That would be interesting.

The original Federal Catalog 300 that came out c.1959 showed the FB1 listed at $45. And you could buy directly from Federal back then. The reason that Darley's and SA-SO's prices were so much lower was because they bought in large quantities then.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Skip Goulet said:
The original Federal Catalog 300 that came out c.1959 showed the FB1 listed at $45. And you could buy directly from Federal back then. The reason that Darley's and SA-SO's prices were so much lower was because they bought in large quantities then.

One thing I forgot to mention. Since Darley bought from Federal in very large quantities, they often had special sales on these lights, and eventually the "teardrop" lights built by SVP, Sho-Me and others back in the '70s. When the Sho-Me and SVP teardrops sold for about $35 or so, in the late '70s Darley had a special sale on them for $15.99 each. I had my standby ambulance service running at the time and worked with a couple of the newer volunteer fire depts in the county. At that price I bought a dozen lights from Darley: 6 red and 6 blue, and resold them to some of the volunteers at only a small profit. They went fast, and I got a number of requests from some of the other depts in the county. But by then that sale was over, so those guys were able to by from Darley themselves.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Dan, I'm speechless. I suppose it makes you THE Authority when it comes to FireBall history !!! Write a book man !!

Question for you : have you ever heard of an oscillating FB (except the modern MagnaBeam) based on the teardop frame by any chance ?

Thanks.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I've never heard of an oscillating version of the FireBall, at least nothing that went into production. It certainly would not have been a bad idea if such a FireBall was only to be placed on the vehicle's dashboard.

flahotrod

Aug 1, 2011
Florida
If you have ever seen the movie "The Blob" (with Steve McQueen), you may have noticed that the police car uses a Fire Ball permanently mounted to the roof.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
dmathieu said:
Many are as or more knowledgeable than I.
As Stansdds said, no teardrop Fire Ball oscillator. The first was the MagnaBeam, and it was extremely effective.

Humility is a rare commodity these days.... ;)

Thanks a mil Dan.

Think of that book will ya ?

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
flahotrod said:
If you have ever seen the movie "The Blob" (with Steve McQueen), you may have noticed that the police car uses a Fire Ball permanently mounted to the roof.

While you didn't see a whole lot of them, The Fire Balls were available in permanent mount as well as the more popular magnetic mount. The small funeral home in the small town of Hale Center, TX, had a 1962 Chevy wagon as its ambulance. On top was a 174 beacon ray light flanked by a pair of red permanent mount Fire Balls on the front corners. Those Fire Ball lights outlasted the 174, and were still on the car when it was permanently retired in the late '80s.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.