Federal FIRE BALL Family History

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
After being a collector of warning lights I just bought my first teardrop-style lights since receiving one way back on Christmas 1981 (that one's long gone). I've always thought of these (mainly from the 1960s thru the 1980s) as pretty uniform with universal, interchangeable parts, especially the domes. But I am now realizing that the there are two distinct body platforms. There's a wider, squarer one with a nearly flat backside. The other is shorter and narrower with a pointed backside. Which manufacturers/models fall into each of these two styles?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

post-13217-0-59692800-1423850647.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
The smaller pointed back includes Federal, rebadged Federal, Tough Built, Dietz, and Sireno, and possibly more. Most, if not all of these domes are interchangeable.  

The flat back includes KD Lamp, Southern VP, Signal Stat, and many others. Typically on these the bottom will have markings saying Made in Hong Kong for what ever company. These domes are all interchangeable.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
On their original MR-3 they used 3 magnets similar to, but larger than the ones Federal used.

They still produce a MR-3, not sure of the options on the newer one, although the base is plastic, so I doubt it..
I've had a couple of MR-3s over the years, but I guess I didn't notice that the bases were plastic. Both had the older style magnets like you mention above.  I only ran them dashmounted, so I didn't have to worry about them flying off.   I've mentioned on another thread about the Junior Beacon that Ellis Funeral Home here ran on their '58 Chrysler station wagon ambulance.  It had the old style magnets along with the eyelet to attach to a large sheet metal screw mounted into the roof. Despite the use of the eyelet, that light went sailing more than once, and had to be sent to Federal for repairs.  The Chrysler was retired in 1960 and replaced by a '61 Chevy Panel truck that became first out ambulance.  Their '59 Ford wagon which had been first out became backup. The Ford's red 17 beacon went on the panel and the Junior from the Chrysler went on the Ford. But this time the Junior was permanently mounted on the Ford, eliminating the previous aerobatics of the Junior.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I have others in this condition, (duplicates), but I can't seem to pass these up when they come around. The original owner has kept it protected from damage for the over 55 years that he has owned it. It is in NEW condition. That would make this an early version FB-1, 1960 or earlier.
Did this one seen any actual use, Dan?  Looks like it's hardly been out of the box.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
This light has a few slight blemishes (I haven't cleaned it yet). It saw no use, and is in new condition. The cord has never been uncoiled, and the plug doesn't have any marks or scratches typical with use.. This new light was given as a retirement gift to  a state trooper, and has been protected since. These lights were used in the cruisers during his tenure that began in 1955. The date on the engineering drawing and instruction sheet is 12/14/59. Based on the subtle differences in the construction of older versions vs newer versions of FB-1s, this is definitely an older version, probably 1960 or so.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
26, (mostly different) collectible Fire Ball teardrop lights. 27 if I count the blue one used by my Dad in the 1960s, (not in the picture).

Many NOS, many different/odd serial numbers, many rebadged, and some "one of a kind", at least the only ones I've seen, including what seems to be a 1st version Fire Ball. Also included are some unique domes, covers, storage bag, and even a promotional/gift bank.

All are chronicled in the previous pages.

S6304508.JPG

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Dan: I was thinking about you the other day.  I saw a movie with a very young Jeff Bridges playing the son of a moonshiner.  He was driving a '69 or so Mustang and had a blue Trippe MR3 in the car.  Freaked me out.
I've been meaning to tell you the first FB I ever got I found in the storeroom of the parts dept. of the City of Lubbock many years ago.  The mgr. of the dept. was a good friend and just handed it to me!  That doesn't happen very often, you know!

Reactions: kitn1mcc

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I have one neat "beehive" light that I got thru this board. It was built by Lectric-Lites here in Texas.  It has a built-in flasher and a donut type magnet.

Back in the early '70s Lectric-Lites was based in Lubbock, where their first Ranger Strobe bars were built.  I knew their owners quite well and used t stop and visit.  One day I spotted the prototype for the beehive light I mention above and gave it a good looking over. Much to my surprise they gave me the light.  That was in the early days of when our REACT team began providing first-aid and ambulance for the local races.  One of our members had a big red Ford wagon which we rigged up as a backup ambulance, and that beehive light went on top when pressed into service.  I have no idea whatever happened to that light!

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
OK, here's another special Fire Ball to add to my historical Fire Ball collection!

The previously posted S/N 2A10 seems to be the oldest Fire Ball seen so far with numerous design/engineering changes, noted in past posts, not made until the common production run of S/N 2A12. These things that would be eventually changed include, safety mounting eyelet on the bottom of the base, screwed dome retainer clamp replacing steel swivel clip, older design reflector, and vibration plate under the rotating mechanics.

This one has a S/N 2B10, and has only the newer dome retaining band screw clamp, and not the other coming changes. This also has the old style metal cigarette lighter plug common on the older Whelen ROTA-BEAMs.

.....as far as I can see.....until I receive and refurb the light....... 2A10-2B10-2A12?

More pics later

$_57 (3).jpg

$_57 (4).jpg

$_57 (5).jpg

$_57 (6).jpg

Reactions: tsquale

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Makes sense that xA-10, xB-10, and xA-12 series changes would come pretty quickly.  The compact, rotating, magnetically mounted beacon was a totally new thing, so design changes based on purchaser feedback could result in a quick series of improvements.  Putting reasonably accurate dates on these changes can be tough as Federal did not date stamp much during this period.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
From my research, production runs on the FB-1 began in August 1956, and I have 1958 paper work with correct drawings for the 2A12. This would lead me to at most, less than 2 years. You're right, it's impossible to be more accurate on the timing, but that's a start. Based on the rarity of these odd serial # lights, I would bet that the timing was even quicker than that. It's interesting to be able to follow the history on these old lights!
I also have 1956 product literature.

Last edited:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
OK, here's another special Fire Ball to add to my historical Fire Ball collection!

The previously posted S/N 2A10 seems to be the oldest Fire Ball seen so far with numerous design/engineering changes, noted in past posts, not made until the common production run of S/N 2A12. These things that would be eventually changed include, safety mounting eyelet on the bottom of the base, screwed dome retainer clamp replacing steel swivel clip, older design reflector, and vibration plate under the rotating mechanics.

This one has a S/N 2B10, and has only the newer dome retaining band screw clamp, and not the other coming changes. This also has the old style metal cigarette lighter plug common on the older Whelen ROTA-BEAMs.

.....as far as I can see.....until I receive and refurb the light....... 2A10-2B10-2A12?

More pics later

View attachment 144519

View attachment 144520

View attachment 144521

View attachment 144522

Unusual old plug on this one, Dan.   I had an older magnetic Corporal light years ago with the same kind of plug and an inline switch.  Did Whelen do that then, or was that something added in the field?

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
FB-1 S/N 2B10 complete except for cord.

The only change found from the 2A10 is the dome retainer band screw clip.

Number 28 in my Fire Ball teardrop sub-collection

S6304579.JPG

S6304581.JPG

S6304582.JPG

S6304583.JPG

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Found this on Facebook page Emergency Lights and Sirens Collectors / Customizers

December 1956 issue of Morticians Of The Southwest Magazine.

The 1st known production run of the Fire Ball was in August, 1956.

12027542_10207739153542556_4739627517356961493_n.jpg

Reactions: tsquale

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Federal Signal's 2nd Version Flash Ball was still a non rotating light like the Version 1, with some design changes.
It had the larger magnet, was available in halogen or incandescent bulb, and had a new reflector and socket design.
The reflector was still stationary. The bulb was flashed by a flasher for a directional warning.
These Flash Balls are even more rare than the Version 1 Flash Balls.

View attachment 96666

View attachment 96667

View attachment 96668

View attachment 96669

View attachment 96780

I've only seen one or two Flash Balls around here, but not one with the new large magnet. Nice, Dan.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Found this on Facebook page Emergency Lights and Sirens Collectors / Customizers

December 1956 issue of Morticians Of The Southwest Magazine.

The 1st known production run of the Fire Ball was in August, 1956.

View attachment 145689

Nice, Dan.   When I worked at Rix Funeral Home in Odessa (1963-67) we got Morticians of the Southwest. I think it came out of Dallas.  A lot of funeral homes were still providing ambulance service at the time, so there were a lot of ambulance-oriented ads and articles at the time.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Over the years Signal Stat has marked a number of Federal Signal products.

Before Signal Stat had established their own line of beacons (circa 1964-1967):

Signal Stat 335 = Federal model 17 Beacon Ray

Signal Stat 338 = Federal model 14

Signal Stat 339 = Federal model 184 Power Light

Signal Stat 340 = Federal model FB1 and FB2 Fireball

Signal Stat ceased making their large, 4 sealed beam beacons around 1980.  I suppose they saw a demand and resurrected the 340 model number and applied it to Federal 184's.

By 1990 Federal has stopped making the 184, but Signal Stat bought Dietz and with that purchase the Dietz 7-40 and 7-11 became the Signal Stat 312 and 311.

In the 2000's Signal Stat stopped making beacons and sold a number of Federal products under the Signal Stat brand.

Signal Stat 330 = Federal 14SB

Signal Stat 331 = Federal 100

Signal Stat 332 = Federal Highlighter

Signal Stat 360 = Federal FB3 Firebeam

Signal Stat 9682/9683 = Federal Street Hawk 47"/52"

Reactions: ex416 and dmathieu

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.