Federal Model CJ184 restoration for in-field use

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
This beacon was done for the Fire Academy of ND. This will be going on a service vehicle in the near future. It needed a lot of help, but I got it to where it's ready to serve once again.

Upon arrival at home:
cj184resto1.jpg
It had seen better days, but the skirt was in good shape and the badge was not tarnished!

cj184resto2.jpg
The dome was very rough on top, but at least the main face of it did not have stress cracks. I decided that the top will receive a black-out treatment after the dome was fully polished.

cj184resto3.jpg
Well now, this beacon would never work at all in this state!. No risers under the 4 bolts, power spade under the skirt, and the shaft pulley was on top of the contact plate. This is how the beacon came when the Academy's chief received it, but it was not used on anything or even looked at after its initial decommission until I opened it up. Somebody didn't know how to get this back together properly when they serviced it...

cj184resto4.jpg
Siren driver and motor was in great shape! Siren driver popped and crackled using the 9V battery test, and the motor ran smooth and quiet.

cj184resto5.jpg
This CJ184 rolled out of Federal in December 1973. It'll be 44 next month:D!

cj184resto6.jpg
After tearing all components down, I noticed the original shaft sleeve was cut down. Therefore, if you went to put the shaft pulley over the top, it would've sat too low for the belt to operate the rotator and run off-kilter. A clear piece of tubing the correct diameter of the sleeve, cut to correct height, and leveled off, solved that problem. After this pic, I placed liberal amounts of petroleum jelly to the tubing to facilitate good rotation of the shaft pulley.

cj184resto7.jpg
Installed new speaker wire and leads.

cj184resto8.jpg
The best replacements for the factory risers was small diameter cable crimps, and they fit perfectly around the bolts! This task was done quickly and much to my relief (did NOT want to use washers).

After completing the mechanics, I reinstalled the skirt, put the rotator assembly into place, and fired up the beacon. This was with the stock pulleys and belt. You can tell that when the rotator hits a certain spot, it lagged very slightly.

I wasn't happy with the lagging spot, even after adjusting the belt a few times. So, I went with the rubber grommet-over-motor-pulley modification. I liked this result immediately :).

The dome underwent the usual wet sanding and polishing, but I wasn't going to keep the unsightly top of the dome exposed with the stress crack and all. I used industrial flat black spray paint to cover the top over and it turned out nice. Acts as a good sun blocker too so you actually see the pops of the beams! Buttoned up everything, polished the skirt and dome clasp, and made a rubber skirt gasket from leftover 1/4" rubber hose. I think it turned out good for the purpose it's going towards :cool:!

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
One of my favourite beacons, although I am very opinionated on the type of siren that was used with them. I think the speaker sounds best with the late 1960s PA15A / PA20A sirens (B, C, and D series with the slow rising low pitched tones). I've seen and heard them and they looked and sounded great. :D

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I agree 100% on that, Wailer. This is one LOUD son of gun with low-pitch electronic sirens. Can you imagine those S & W Magnum sirens with this beacon?!?!? Whoa, buddy!

Reactions: southpaw

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
This beacon was done for the Fire Academy of ND. This will be going on a service vehicle in the near future. It needed a lot of help, but I got it to where it's ready to serve once again.

Upon arrival at home:
View attachment 209002
It had seen better days, but the skirt was in good shape and the badge was not tarnished!

View attachment 209003
The dome was very rough on top, but at least the main face of it did not have stress cracks. I decided that the top will receive a black-out treatment after the dome was fully polished.

View attachment 209005
Well now, this beacon would never work at all in this state!. No risers under the 4 bolts, power spade under the skirt, and the shaft pulley was on top of the contact plate. This is how the beacon came when the Academy's chief received it, but it was not used on anything or even looked at after its initial decommission until I opened it up. Somebody didn't know how to get this back together properly when they serviced it...

View attachment 209009
Siren driver and motor was in great shape! Siren driver popped and crackled using the 9V battery test, and the motor ran smooth and quiet.

View attachment 209010
This CJ184 rolled out of Federal in December 1973. It'll be 44 next month:D!

View attachment 209011
After tearing all components down, I noticed the original shaft sleeve was cut down. Therefore, if you went to put the shaft pulley over the top, it would've sat too low for the belt to operate the rotator and run off-kilter. A clear piece of tubing the correct diameter of the sleeve, cut to correct height, and leveled off, solved that problem. After this pic, I placed liberal amounts of petroleum jelly to the tubing to facilitate good rotation of the shaft pulley.

View attachment 209012
Installed new speaker wire and leads.

View attachment 209013
The best replacements for the factory risers was small diameter cable crimps, and they fit perfectly around the bolts! This task was done quickly and much to my relief (did NOT want to use washers).

After completing the mechanics, I reinstalled the skirt, put the rotator assembly into place, and fired up the beacon. This was with the stock pulleys and belt. You can tell that when the rotator hits a certain spot, it lagged very slightly.

I wasn't happy with the lagging spot, even after adjusting the belt a few times. So, I went with the rubber grommet-over-motor-pulley modification. I liked this result immediately :).

The dome underwent the usual wet sanding and polishing, but I wasn't going to keep the unsightly top of the dome exposed with the stress crack and all. I used industrial flat black spray paint to cover the top over and it turned out nice. Acts as a good sun blocker too so you actually see the pops of the beams! Buttoned up everything, polished the skirt and dome clasp, and made a rubber skirt gasket from leftover 1/4" rubber hose. I think it turned out good for the purpose it's going towards :cool:!
Nicely and very well done sir!!

Reactions: CrownVic97

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Very nice. I like these beacons as well. You may find that the lag in the spin is actually the motor being a little to tight to the gear that it turns. Backing it off slightly would eliminate that as well. It's the slight irregularity of the gear that causes that.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Very nice. I like these beacons as well. You may find that the lag in the spin is actually the motor being a little to tight to the gear that it turns. Backing it off slightly would eliminate that as well. It's the slight irregularity of the gear that causes that.

Thanks, Skull. I did set the motor adjustment screws to where it was not too tight and was running good, but I could try to look at it again tomorrow.

Reactions: southpaw

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idk

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.