Federal Tag Restore

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Has anyone tried to restore these old faded tags? I worked yesterday on several techniques and found one that works really well and with just a little effort. You can make them look fully new or a little aged like mine.

Here is the tag off of the Model 17 military spec I have been working on.

DSC_0363-2(Medium).jpg

Although I liked the look of the silver tag, it just blended in with the chrome and was not visible at all.

DSC_0398 (Medium).JPG

I removed the tag and sprayed it with several light coats to give good coverage. I allowed the paint to dry for several hours to ensure it was good to handle. Then I took 1000 grit sandpaper, laying it flat on the table and then briskly rubbed the tag across the sandpaper to remove the paint on the high spots. You can not hold the sandpaper and rub across the tag as your fingers will push it into the recessed areas. (trust me). Once you have removed most of the red from the high areas, use either a Q Tip or a smooth rag and your finger and with a little lacquer thinner on it, remove the redness from the flat areas. Touch up as you please. Sanding will create some dust and darkness which can be removed with light brushing from the thinner. Remove as much of the darkness as you want for a new or used look. I wanted mine to match the age and scratches of my base so I left some of the "dirt"..

I think it came out pretty good ! Anyone else tried this?
DSC_0439 (Medium).JPG

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Interesting.. you would think the newer ones would have more detail, but they went backwards with the detail. I do love the detail in the lighthouse of the older tag. I am working on a restore of a Model 17 that has a tag like yours. I wonder if we could pinpoint when the tag design changed? Hmmm...

The tag definitely makes a difference in the look.

Bef-Aft.jpg

Reactions: denko3

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
Has anyone tried to restore these old faded tags? I worked yesterday on several techniques and found one that works really well and with just a little effort. You can make them look fully new or a little aged like mine.

Here is the tag off of the Model 17 military spec I have been working on.

View attachment 155508

Although I liked the look of the silver tag, it just blended in with the chrome and was not visible at all.

View attachment 155510

I removed the tag and sprayed it with several light coats to give good coverage. I allowed the paint to dry for several hours to ensure it was good to handle. Then I took 1000 grit sandpaper, laying it flat on the table and then briskly rubbed the tag across the sandpaper to remove the paint on the high spots. You can not hold the sandpaper and rub across the tag as your fingers will push it into the recessed areas. (trust me). Once you have removed most of the red from the high areas, use either a Q Tip or a smooth rag and your finger and with a little lacquer thinner on it, remove the redness from the flat areas. Touch up as you please. Sanding will create some dust and darkness which can be removed with light brushing from the thinner. Remove as much of the darkness as you want for a new or used look. I wanted mine to match the age and scratches of my base so I left some of the "dirt"..

I think it came out pretty good ! Anyone else tried this?
View attachment 155511
Must say that restore one looks much better then new one.....great job men! ;-)

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Great restore! It looks much better!
Yes, there was one guy that restored badges a while back. His name was Jack, ELB member "fyrboy". He was the badge restore master back in the day, he did many badges for me! His workmanship was priceless!

Here a few examples:
ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_LACITYFD3.jpg
ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_175_H2.jpg
ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_002_4_zps43166ceb.jpg

Excellent job! Looks great! The older tags were embossed or stamped, then painted. I believe the process was to paint the new, flat tag and squeegee the paint off the raised areas, then run it through a roller to bow it. The newer ones are screened (like silk screen) onto a smooth surface...much easier and cheaper to make (looks it too imho). I have also used a sanding block for a rigid sanding surface.

wfdstation42

May 23, 2010
USA/FL
I've also done a few over the years. Same basic process as your's except instead of a q-tip with thinner I use a razor blade to get the stubborn areas. I also like to finish with a couple light coats of clear.

ai196.photobucket.com_albums_aa13_wfdstation42_elightbars_SANY0202.jpg

Reactions: Skulldigger

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
From what I've seen, over the years, Federal used many different shades of red on their tags. I have 6, and have seen many more, NOS, never out in the weather, Beacon Ray lights with many different shades.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.