Feniex Cannon LED Hide-a-way!

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Yes it was earlier in this thread, but this is a far more better design

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed!  This will work very well for many applications.  Thanks for staying on it and working for improvements, just dont stop making the normal cannons please.

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
I like this a whole lot!     I do lots of retrofit work for fire departments replacing strobe tubes with Cannons, and they work great, but having the light shooting straight out makes for a circular light output.  This would help use the existing reflectors on those light heads, plus other OEM inserts that get hideaways.    Some have a thick plastic that doesn't allow the LED's to extend into.

I'm assuming the lens that extends up is a clear lexan/plastic style lense and not an opaque reflector? 

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
All,

Your input is greatly appreciated on this project. We are currently working on the "Cannon Plus" HAW. See attached images.  I won’t bore you all with the details since the images are self-explanatory.  Do you guys agree with the concept? The engineers requested feedback from the sales team so I thought reaching out to you all might help.

WHY DO I SEE THIS TWO WEEKS AFTER INSTALLING MY 2-MODE CANNONS?!?!?!??!

Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
I think there should be a LED or two on top of the reflector , where the screw goes.
I think something similar to the Fairy, with the diodes facing different directions, and adding a diode top facing. Its a toss up, have diodes all face one way and use optics to disperse the light, OR, angle the diodes to do the light dispersing, and adding a top firing one or two.

That was wasted space in the Fairy. I think revisiting/revising the Fairy, or making the Fairy Cannon Blaster!!! :lol:

Reactions: TritonBoulder47
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I always LOVED the fact that the Fairys had 2 LEDs on 4 different angled surfaces...  VERY effective at filling a lighthead...  But this new Cannon designs looks like it will fill it better...  

If you want/need a guy to test some, I'll be more than happy to...  lol  I will be getting a new vehicle soon...  lol

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
I always LOVED the fact that the Fairys had 2 LEDs on 4 different angled surfaces...  VERY effective at filling a lighthead...  But this new Cannon designs looks like it will fill it better...  

If you want/need a guy to test some, I'll be more than happy to...  lol  I will be getting a new vehicle soon...  lol
Yup agreed. One reason I was kind of surprised when the Cannon went with the other HAWs and put them all on a flat plane. I do think it would be similar one way or another with the optics one proposed, or as I stated, angling the diodes themselves to fill a reflector, and adding that additional diode or two facing straight (would make sure light gets dispersed in ALL directions in 180°).

Also available for testing (can swap them out with my current Cannons, or replace an entire brake/reverse light)!!!

mm2k5

Jan 7, 2012
Southern Missouri
Well, maybe now I'm just gonna have to wait until this hits production to install some in my truck. I have no major desire to replace any factory bulbs and would rather add to. This newer design would fit the bill.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
All,

Your input is greatly appreciated on this project. We are currently working on the "Cannon Plus" HAW. See attached images.  I won’t bore you all with the details since the images are self-explanatory.  Do you guys agree with the concept? The engineers requested feedback from the sales team so I thought reaching out to you all might help.
This is my reply...

Reactions: mm2k5
Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
What about offering the lens assembly as an option to the current Cannon.  One that would just slide over the current lights and snap into place or be held by the mounting screws?

My guess is they're going this route because it's less expensive to make a single flat board with LED's than numerous small led boards and angle them and wire them together.

Oct 1, 2012
Bamberg, Germany
If this does go into production, is there any chance to be sold as a upgrade kit, instead of buying all new Cannons? I can just see the face of my chief when I tell him I need to buy another set of 6 Cannons.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Probably doubtful being as it is part of the cap that seals the device. Having people break that seal is asking for trouble in my opinion.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Hey Feniex,

Any chance of being able to order "dumb" cannons in the future?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
There isn't any issue with those on external flashers.. Generally the cost of a "dumb" lighthead is not much more than the regular light head.... what ya kicking around in your head foxy?

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
I have my rear 4 cannons on external flasher (ulf44) the built in override mode in cannons for turn signal and auxiliary brake illumination. Have no issues

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
There isn't any issue with those on external flashers.. Generally the cost of a "dumb" lighthead is not much more than the regular light head.... what ya kicking around in your head foxy?
I've got an idea or two poking around. My only issue with Feniex stuff is that the pattern change and sync is a ground input. To me that means that I have to take extra precaution to isolate that input wire to ensure that lights don't end up changing patterns if I hit a bump. In my mind, the simplest way to avoid that is to remove the internal flasher all together.

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
I've got an idea or two poking around. My only issue with Feniex stuff is that the pattern change and sync is a ground input. To me that means that I have to take extra precaution to isolate that input wire to ensure that lights don't end up changing patterns if I hit a bump. In my mind, the simplest way to avoid that is to remove the internal flasher all together.
If using on external flasher, I will put a red or purple butt connector on the ends of the pattern and sync independently. If I ever want to go to the internal flasher, the connectors are there and it protects the end and exposed party of the wire. been like that for 3 years and never had an issue with them changing

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
I agree and do more or less the same thing. In my mind, however, it's still a potential failure point.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Lense option looks like it would get the job done.!

Are the three mode units shipping or still in works?

Thanks

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
They are shipping
Thanks Fever.. Is there a low power pattern that can be set to one of the triggers to use as a park lamp?..how would a dual color unit differ from a single color.??.... Thank you for the knowledge.!.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
No there is not a low power setting. We sell resistors to go in line with the mode that is needed for low power.  

Dual color is really no different. Just have 6 leds per color

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Nic sent me some and they are 3-mode.  The lower numbered modes override the higher number modes.  For example if you have power to Mode 3 wire, which for an example is programmed to steady red, then you apply power to the mode 2 wire (let's pretend it's programmed to flash slowly), then the light will flash slowly until you release the power to the mode 2 wire, at which point it'll revert to it's mode3 pattern (steady burn in this example).

The opposite will not work.  If you have power on Mode 1 wire and apply power to Mode 2, it will still stay in Mode 1.

I actully put a red one in the brake light of my motorcycle.  I have it set to 'steady 2' pattern where it goes to 12 red LEDs for a few seconds then it dims to 6 LEDs and stays like that until I release the brake.  Nice and bright but because it's behind the factory diffuser/lens it's not too bad, especially when it dims. 

I was going to do the same for my turn signals except use steady-burn for running lights then have the next mode programmed to steady burn and hook that mode's wire the bike's turn wire so it would flash in turn mode.  But, I think the steady is too bright for that use.  I may try a resistor - is that not going to hurt the driver unit??

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Resistor won't hurt the driver. I got some it you don't. Also just got another shipment of cannons in a few minutes ago.

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
Just installed 4 of the latest version Feniex Cannons today in one of our trucks to replace a Whelen strobe system. As always, the cannons are beyond great but now with the new quick disconnect, they are even better! Should something happen, I won't have to undo all the wiring but simply disconnect the lighthead and plug in the new one. Keep up the good work, Feniex!

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
and not a comment about the mini?

Just installed 4 of the latest version Feniex Cannons today in one of our trucks to replace a Whelen strobe system. As always, the cannons are beyond great but now with the new quick disconnect, they are even better! Should something happen, I won't have to undo all the wiring but simply disconnect the lighthead and plug in the new one. Keep up the good work, Feniex!

akenesis

Feb 4, 2015
Northeast
Does anyone know if the new Cannon 360s will fit in the standard 1" hole from a 7440 incandescent bulb?

I'm looking to replace my turn signals with them, and would rather not have to drill holes or damage the original housing. If so, what is the best way to mount them, since I assume they won't screw in like the factory bulbs?

Thanks.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
All the light needs is a 1" hole to pass through. 

That said, the only sure fire way for attaching them is screwing into the housing with two screws through the light. 

I've seen some silicone them in but I dont like that method. Silicone should only be a sealant in my opinion... not an adhesive. 

Does anyone know if the new Cannon 360s will fit in the standard 1" hole from a 7440 incandescent bulb?

I'm looking to replace my turn signals with them, and would rather not have to drill holes or damage the original housing. If so, what is the best way to mount them, since I assume they won't screw in like the factory bulbs?

Thanks.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.