Feniex Cannons - Compartment Lighting > OVER HEATING!

bobbyj

May 1, 2012
Bellingham, MA
So where these are, there is no metal...only the plastic of the factory housing. Behind them is completely open. Its the pocket between the headliner and the actual roof.

Also, I have a set in my reverse lights that have been on solid for far longer periods than the set in my cargo lights and have had no problems. The cargo lights have spent hours running in warning mode on detail...no issues from that and I'm sure they get just as hot, if not hotter

Ideas? Need to think outside the box here

Last edited by a moderator:

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
If you can take a small drop in output a 5w calculated resistor should drop it to about 85% which should be close enough to push the led into a less heat creating phase.

bobbyj

May 1, 2012
Bellingham, MA
If you can take a small drop in output a 5w calculated resistor should drop it to about 85% which should be close enough to push the led into a less heat creating phase.
Thanks Wilson.  I think I can compromise for that particular application.  What Ohm resistor would you suggest?

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Somwhere in the 3-4ohm range. It really just needs to be played with to find the sweetspot. Just about every warning led device is being "ovedrived" or pushing every lumen possible from the led. Just for the sake of it try hooking one up to a 9v battery and see what kind of light output is there vs heat being created. Try to find the sweet voltage spot. At 9v if its not producing any heat then maybe you could step it up to 9.5v. Once you find the voltage you can calculate it to find the correct resistor to step from vehicular voltage at 13.5v down to Xv

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhaberny

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.