Finally got a craigslist find, teaser pic..... **PICS posted below**, now complete....... IT'S ALIVE

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Okay..... Craigslist usually sucks in this area for RL&S stuff. But, I finally got something good. It's in rough shape, but for $60...... I couldn't go wrong. More pics to come, just unloaded it from the car. I had to arrange transport, as it was 75 miles away. So, my brother picked it up when he was in the area for work.

Strobehawk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
Ugh, I hate teasers! Great find, though. I got a connection out on Long Island who has a bunch of Strobehawks, I just have to figure out how to get out there. One of these days!

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
And another teaser..... I believe it's a factory all-light.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
OK.... finally got pics, and a chance to tear into this thing. Had to pull it inside, as apparently I'm "hibernating in the garage" too much..... :eek:

So, the flashers work, the center rotator works, the TD/AL work........ but no strobey, nor the cruise. There was a T-tap in there, so it's been messed with at some point in time. Plus, it's pretty dirty inside, so it's all coming apart and cleaned up. Can anyone help with the strobes, how to test to narrow if it's the strobes or the PS?

I'm thinking at one point in times it was Grand Forks PD, or Grand Forks SO, as to the black tag on the PS. I was trying to look for vintage pics, but apparently I'm not putting the correct search terms in because I couldn't find any vintage pics.

How does the power supply work? It looks to be only 2 wire? And the small silver box in the center, I'm wondering at one point in time if this didn't have secondary strobes? There's extra 2 pole wire going to each side near the secondary lights that isn't connected to anything.

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG

Reactions: dmathieu

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
If I remember correctly....The silver box is for the 360 d strobes and the J60 is for a lower option strobes. Usually the lower strobes were powered by a J30 (I have never seen a J60). The "J" series strobes were a 2 wire system, opposed to regular strobe systems ie Whelen , Code 3 etc., which have 3 wires attached to the tube. An Anode, a Cathode and the Trigger. The "J" series, from what I have seen, have been discontinued a long time ago due to there unstably (instability) and high failure rate.  

The 360d's should be a 3 wire strobe head, so you should be able to test them on a regular power supply, although I think Federal swapped some wires around on their strobe heads in an attempt to be "Proprietary" Other then that, I would re-wire if it is that much of a rats nest.

On the bright side, you have a very nice bar there, and somewhat of a rare one since I have never seen an all light strobe. I wish now I had keep some of the ones I have had in my years of dealing with them. Usually the strobe supply went in the area where the speaker went.

Edit...just b/c it is Sunday....Sunday Morning Coming Down. :p

Reactions: rwo978

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
OK, so the J60 is/was for the secondary strobes? And those were 2 wire?

And the small grey supply in the center is for the primary strobes? And those are 3 wire? Anyone have pics of the wiring on the 360 tubes? Going to get everything apart today to try and diagnose the issue, so testing the tubes on a different supply and known working tubes on this supply.

Thanks!!!!

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
J30 was for lower and j60 for upper strobes if i am correct right.....the gray supply is for??????

great bar must say! :)
The J30 and the J60 are for the lowers I assume the J 60 is for the lowers.  Off topic a bit, The J 20 and J 22 went in the Jetseries bar, And the J 30 went in the Streethawk. I never knew there was a J 60. I believe they were all 2 wire strobe systems. They used special strobe tubs as well.

The silver box should be for the 360's and should be a 3 wire strobe system.

OK, so the J60 is/was for the secondary strobes? And those were 2 wire?

Thay would be correct

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
OK, got it apart. Here's some pics of the strobes and supplies.

How do I go about hooking things back up again to test? Wiring diagrams, or simple explanations.

The 3 wires from the small box were plugged into the J60 3 wire plug. There's no power/ground to/from the small box.

What are the dip switches for in the J60?

image-09-11-14-14-12.jpeg

image-09-11-14-14-12-1.jpeg

image-09-11-14-14-12-4.jpeg

image-09-11-14-14-12-2.jpeg

image-09-11-14-14-12-3.jpeg

image-09-11-14-14-12-5.jpeg

image-09-11-14-14-12-6.jpeg

image-09-11-14-14-12-7.jpeg

image-09-11-14-14-12-8.jpeg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

Attachments

• StrobeHawk S3 & S4.pdf
    323 bytes · Views: 9
  • 256A617.pdf
    323 bytes · Views: 12

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
OK. So this J60 supply, along with the small silver box, which is supposidly the capacitors for the J60, appears to be for the lower strobes.

What does the supply for the upper strobes look like?

And I see the diagram/option for the 360 strobes in the S3&S4 PDF, but how does the wiring go on the bottom of the tubes?

OK, so I found the 'strobehawk manual' in chief's thread with the PDF attached. I'm going to give this a whirl on Tues.

Strobehawk_Manual.PDF

Attachments

• Strobehawk_Manual.PDF
    323 bytes · Views: 8

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
OK the J60 is for the main strobes IE: 360. and the J30 is for secondary strobes IE: lower

Ryan here's the manual shows how to wire it up if you need anymore help give a Pm.

P

Strobehawk_Manual.PDF

Attachments

• Strobehawk_Manual.PDF
    323 bytes · Views: 1

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
OK. So this J60 supply, along with the small silver box, which is supposidly the capacitors for the J60, appears to be for the lower strobes.

What does the supply for the upper strobes look like?

And I see the diagram/option for the 360 strobes in the S3&S4 PDF, but how does the wiring go on the bottom of the tubes?

OK, so I found the 'strobehawk manual' in chief's thread with the PDF attached. I'm going to give this a whirl on Tues.
I meant to post the Strobe_Hawk Manual too, sorry.  Between the three PDFs you should be able to get a handle on it.  These are not like standard strobe wiring.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Put those back together. That grey part that sat behind the center mirror is the Capacitor and J60 go together for the main strobes.

Lower strobes use the J30.

Best way to ire this thing is to go by the manual and trace the wires from their configuration on the base where they go. IE: red 1 and so on.

If you need more help let me know

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
OK that set up is totally different then the ones I have seen. The ones I worked on had the 360 strobe supply in the speaker housing and was a silver box. Also the strobehawks I worked on had no lower strobes. The only reason I know of the J-30, is we had some streethawks that had the lower strobes. Rotators in the upper section.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Ryan here's a top view of the J60 and capacitor set up if you need a closer shot let me know.

Capacitor plugs in the J60 via the amp connectors.

J60 and capacitor.jpg

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Any idea what the dip switches are for?

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
How is it possible to put power supply and electric stuff under the open water unprof speaker cover next to speaker!!!!!! Very stupid idea must say from fedsig company.i don't wonder too they were usually died so fast.....i heard... :)

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
How is it possible to put power supply and electric stuff under the open water unprof speaker cover next to speaker!!!!!! Very stupid idea must say from fedsig company.i don't wonder too they were usually died so fast.....i heard... :)
You need to go and read chief's thread. He has a disclaimer about this. He was just posting a pic of the wiring to help with getting this PS going.

Reactions: chief1562

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
That's the problem nobody reads any more just assume.

Need to go find my thread on it and look what it says.

Thanks Ryan. Done anything more yet?

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Nope. Monday morning, back to work. I still can't get used to this M-F day stuff.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
OH formally a night owl. That's got to hurt the ole internal clock.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
OK, so went thru, took it all apart, cleaned the bases, got it all back together and fixed the hack wiring. The strobes still don't work.

Thoughts? Places to check to trouble shoot the problem?...... J60, the capacitor box, or the tubes themselves?

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
K.... I feel like a dufas :crazy:   :-x   :eek: :duh:

What do we tell everyone when they're having problems... check wiring, check ground, check FUSES...

That's right, the fuse in the power supply was bad. Inserted a new fuse and..........

IT'S ALIVE!!!

Everything works!!!

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
K.... I feel like a dufas :crazy:   :-x   :eek: :duh:

What do we tell everyone when they're having problems... check wiring, check ground, check FUSES...

That's right, the fuse in the power supply was bad. Inserted a new fuse and..........

IT'S ALIVE!!!

Everything works!!!
Video, please! 

May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
okay im jealous lol.

Whos got a strobehawk for sale :p (what just sayin.....already have a streethawk and a firehawk lol, even though i gotta do some work on the lower white bases of it still)

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Great Job, Ryan!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.