Fire Apparatus Debate: Too Many Warning Lights?

May 28, 2010
Loveland, Ohio
Saw this in this months "FireRescue" Magazine as well as online here: Nozzlehead | Firefighter Nation

Apparatus Debate: Too Many Warning Lights?

Do we look unprofessional when we have so many warning lights on our apparatus?

Published Thursday, March 1, 2012 | From the March 2012 [3] Issue of FireRescue

Dear Nozzlehead: I’m writing to you because I feel that we have way too many warning lights on our apparatus. I appreciate the need for lighting, but haven’t some departments gone overboard with multiple light bars, side light bars, two to three sirens and a host of other lights (LED, strobe, oscillating, arrow and spinning)? I think that when we come down the road with so many lights, we don’t appear to be a professional department. The majority of our department wants to mount as many lights as possible in as many locations as possible, which, to me, is insane. What are your thoughts? Are there any scientific studies on this topic? Are there any laws against having so many lights? What do the standards say?

—Shining in the South

Dear Sunshine,

Let me be very clear from the beginning: I LIKE LOTS OF LIGHTS AND NOISE WHEN RESPONDING. There, I said it. I came out of the dark closet. Are you happy now? Of course you aren’t; you don’t agree with me. But I happen to be of the opinion that it makes the most sense to do whatever it takes to make people see us and hear us to avoid a crash and allow us to get to the scene as quickly as possible. Why? Because I said so—that’s why. Scientific studies? Why in the hell would we use science to determine what we already know?

You think too many warning lights are insane? Whadayou, nuts? That’s how you define insane?

Try these:

We have firefighters who smoke a pack of cigarettes a day and believe that they should be entitled to cancer presumption.

We have chief fire officers who spent their entire careers as medics on the ambulance side of the house and who now, because of loopholes, are commanding fires.

We have “square-rooting” firefighters cheating the system to illegally pad their overtime and retirements.

We have significantly overweight firefighters whose families go into shock when they suffer a heart attack—and then blame the department.

We have fire departments that send units to fires in neighboring towns, but then ignore command in order to fight the fire the way THEY want to.

We have fire departments purchasing “duplicate” apparatus so they have one of “their own,” despite the fact that there are five or six of the same apparatus available just a few miles away.

We have departments who still elect their officers without any required training or qualifications.

We have firefighters who refuse to accept the role of EMS within the fire service.

We have firefighters driving apparatus without seatbelts.

Is that enough INSANITY for you? Now, back to warning lights.

First I’ll give you some personal observations, and then next month we’ll look at the studies—and then you can go back to school and get your degree in psychology with a specialty in insanity.

Generally, I think it’s inappropriate to make blanket statements about pretty much anything, unless I am correct. Now, in this case, it may not be the issue of too many lights but rather how they are used. The job of warning lights is generally accepted in the following levels:

Getting attention and attempting to gain the right of way; and

As a warning when stationary so we (or others on the scene) don’t get struck.

I think that about covers it.

As for getting attention, to me it appears that we need to use lighting systems that make us as visible as possible to others, including motorists and pedestrians. I’m not sure if you can have “too many” lights to do that.

The issue of protection/warning when stopped is different than that of responding. When on the scene, we want to gain the attention of others and send them a message to “slow down,” avoid the area and, better yet, don’t hit me or my apparatus—thanks. Lighting is supposed to convey a message—not create confusion.

With that in mind, I think stationary lighting needs to be significantly reduced to convey the warning message; that is, reduced as it is compared to the “get out of the way; we are responding to a fire” message. But what does reduced mean? To me, it means fewer lights turned on. For example, in my buggy (for those of you who are younger than 50, that’s my chief car), I have two levels of lighting. The first position of the switch has some red flashing in front, some red on the side and some red and yellow (amber) to the rear. That’s the “I am stopped; please don’t hit me—thanks” mode. The lights are bright, but there are only a few. They flash slowly and send a message of caution. However, when you slide the switch to the responding mode, it activates a lot of red and clear LED lights and headlight flashers—A LOT.

Next month, we’ll look at some science stuf from some experts in the fieldf, so relax and keep your bulb screwed in until I get to that. In the meantime, make sure that your apparatus lighting reflects the message you are trying to convey. Reflects the message. Get it? Lighting humor.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Fewer, larger and slower, in most cases* that's the best way to go with warning lights IMO.

*any light other than 1 or 2 dedicated intersection lights.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
I think that, with all the mounting possibilities of LED's, that lighting has become a bit overkill. I think there's a fine line between safely well-illuminated and a flashing car magnet. People tend to be like flies and lightbulbs when any emergency vehicle has too many lights, especially with fast flash patterns and multiple colors.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
I think the number isn't as important as to how they are used, i.e all the pinwheel madness we've seen. A shit ton of lights all randomly flashing is just gonna confuse the public. I do also agree that with today's lights some vehicles do get a little overkill with the lights. I do like how the guy made a point to state there is a difference between stationary and responding modes for lights.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Number of lights is only one factor. I'll take a sentry beacon, headlight flasher, and rear deck par 36 flashers over a modern LED "over kill" setup with split colors and some terrible twinkling pattern.

Appropriate warning is a combo of:

Number of lights

Type of lights

Mounting style/location

Pattern

Color

Usage/setup

The best blanket statement I can make on lighting any vehicle is:

Use larger "colored" light heads flashed at "slow" speeds for the bulk of the setup, with some high flash rate clear or "white" at intersection angles while moving. Follow NFPA, I actually like their recommendations/standards. When parked kill the white and up/keep the amber. Do not use amber to the front when moving, or clear to the rear ever. My personal recommendation is not to split lights by color or pattern within a single head. I think synching lights matters less in effectiveness than people think, but can't back that up with science or a study. I prefer synching them, but I have a gnawing feeling it's just the OCD in me.

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
It seems too many folks put too much faith in the general public thinking about how many and what patterns the lights are blinking. In my experience, the public appears to think 1 of 3 things. 1: "Oh, look at the blinking lights, let's pull to the right." 2: "Oh shit, look at the blinking lights, let's get the hell out of the way and it doesn't matter if we go left, right or drive all the way up onto the tree lawn or sidewalk." Or, 3: "Lights? Siren? Where? I'm really enjoying this song/cell phone conversation/putting on make up/etc., I think I'll just keep driving or stop right where I am" I have experienced all 3 scenarios in every piece of apparatus I have been in, no matter what the flash pattern is or how many lights we use or how loud the siren and airhorn are. When responding, I can see no justification that anyone could have too many lights, or sirens. Cars are being advertised on T.V. that eliminate outside noise, including sirens, right in the commercial. Why limit your protection. Most drivers are ignorant of their surroundings and we need any available means to get their attention that we can afford. We have a driver that refuses to use the Q because "it's too loud". Really, isn't that the whole point, to be seen and heard? Put you damn headset on to protect your sensitive little ears and get peoples' attention so they will move out of the way and not slam into us. I just don't get the you have too many lights and can be seen too well argument. And I do agree, on the scene is a different story.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
Perhaps I'm unaware of the traditional format of this particular "Dear Abbey"... But it seems a little silly to answer an honest question about professionalism so unprofessionally.

Did he really have to personally attack the person who asked the question?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.