Fire/EMS Vehicle Photo Hunt. Small Addition 01/03/2016!

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Colonie Fire Services

Unit: Fire Investigator

COLONIEFIRESERVICES.JPG

West Albany Fire Department

Unit: Car 67

WESTALBANYC67.JPG

Albany Fire Department

Unit: Car 32

AFDC32.JPG

Unit: Pool Car

DSC_0484.JPG

NYS Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services

Unit: 5075

DHSES5075.JPG

Unit: 5438

DHSES5438.JPG

Selden Fire District

Unit: Fire Commissioner

SELDENCOMM.JPG

Reactions: Skip Goulet

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Clifton Park Halfmoon EMS

Unit: 1951

CPHMEMS1951.JPG

Cohoes Fire Department

Unit: 1

DSC_0633.JPG

Unit: 2

DSC_0623.JPG

Unit: 3

DSC_0590.JPG

Green Island Fire Department

Unit: Engine 2

DSC_0591.JPG

US Forest Services

Unit: Engine 621 Vermont-Green Mountain National Forest

DSC_0533.JPG

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I've never seen a volunteer fire district/fire company in NY that has vehicles for their commissioner, since they're usually civil officers (not command/line officers).

Any idea why the Selden Comissioner Tahoe has a dept vehicle? Also, does it have any blinkies installed?

(I'm also thrown off by the handicapped ID on the RVM of a dept-owned vehicle)

Last edited by a moderator:

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Yes has all undercover lighting. A lot if departments on Long Island have Commissioner's vehicles either marked or not.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Interesting. What's the rationale for giving commissioners take home vehicles? I'm not hating on it or anything; I'm just curious b/c I grew up in NY, and our commissioners were all the older members that handled administrative stuff (& virtually never responded to calls), while the line officers (Chiefs, captains, lieutenants) were the OICs at calls

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Colonie Fire Services

Unit: Fire Investigator

attachicon.gif
COLONIEFIRESERVICES.JPG

West Albany Fire Department

Unit: Car 67

attachicon.gif
WESTALBANYC67.JPG

Albany Fire Department

Unit: Car 32

attachicon.gif
AFDC32.JPG

Unit: Pool Car

attachicon.gif
DSC_0484.JPG

NYS Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services

Unit: 5075

attachicon.gif
DHSES5075.JPG

Unit: 5438

attachicon.gif
DHSES5438.JPG

Selden Fire District

Unit: Fire Commissioner

attachicon.gif
SELDENCOMM.JPG
I like the rear window graphics on "Car 32".

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Albany County Sheriff's Office - EMS Unit

Unit: 803

ACSO803.JPG

Boston Medflight

Unit: ?

BOSTONMEDFLIGHT.JPG

Clifton Park - Hlafmoon Ambulance

Unit: 1971 

CPHMEMS1971.JPG

Colonie EMS

Unit: Squad 662 (Special Operations)

CEMS662.JPG

Mountain View Fire Department

Unit: Car 1

MOUNTAINVIEWC1.JPG

Quaker Street Fire Department

Unit: 309

QUAKERSTREET409.JPG

Walden Fire District

Unit: Chief

WALDENCHIEF.JPG

West Sand Lake Fire Department

Unit: 4301

WESTSEANDLAKE4301.JPG

Verdoy Fire Department

Unit: M483

VERDOYM483.JPG

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I love the Clifton Park Halfmoon graphics! I'm sure some ppl will have a problem with it saying "ambulance" on it instead of "EMS," since it's not a transport-capable unit, but it personally doesn't bother me (since I have eyes and can see that isn't gonna have a stretcher being pulled out of it). West sand lake also has a sweet Tahoe (minus the vertically mounted intersection lights)

Simple money, they have money to burn so they spend it.

Here's the rear.

SELDENCOMMrear.JPG
With all that money to "burn," I'd hope that all of their FFs have top of the line bunker gear/PPE, that all of their apparatus are in immaculate condition, & that they have some sort of system in the apparatus bay to protect the FFs health (ie plymovent system), b/c I consider that way more critical than giving a commissioner a vehicle just because they have money to spend. Honestly, I'd say that most vollie depts are lucky enough to have 1 extra vehicle, whether it's for the chief, a vehicle shared between the several duty officers, or a dept utility. One neighboring dept in NY with a lot of money had a takehome "flycar" program for its EMS members; as long as they stayed within the city, they could take a fully-equipped dept EMS tahoe home with them at night to avoid having to stop at the station to pick up a vehicle (thus minimizing delays & response times). I just can't believe that a vollie dept has excess funds that they're looking for excuses (like the commissioner vehicle) to burn; I wouldn't have a problem with it if it were for a line officer, but I am frustrated to hear that a civil officer in the dept gets a vehicle like this

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
The new chevy Tahoe/Suburban design is really growing on me. A lot of those are nice graphics packages and just IMO need bigger grill lights. The Saratoga OEM tahoe lighting package is a little cheesy, though, with the spots they chose to have the TIR3s

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Too lazy to title each one.
Sort of unusual:  a Sireno siren on that Rotterdam truck.

Those little Gremlin rescue units were rather popular when they came out.  I saw one here in Midland....it was just passing thru town...and it was a demo unit.  Very bright, reflective graphics...especially for that day and time.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Menards.jpg

I was looking at these quickly, and thought, 'Wow, Menards has their own fire department?'

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I like the Mack CF pumper at the end.  It looks like it has four speakers (two in the grille and two on the bumper).
We ran four 100-watt speakers on a '72 type II Chevy ambulance years ago, powered by a PA200 siren.   You could hear that one coming for sure, and was the first ambulance we ever ran with an electronic-only siren. Others had used Qs or B&Ms with PA200s or PA15s added, but not with electronic sirens alone.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Love the new OFPC F-250's. Not a fan of the lightbar placement on the north greenbush ambo; I think the freedom should be on the roof of the cab (more visible in the RVM of traffic ahead of it) with all 3 of the 900's level up top

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Not a huge fan of Slicktop FD units, especially the airport FD units (where I would've preferred to at least see an LED minibar or LED beacon to give it some better warning).

I think the Boston lighting packages can def use some improvement on the sides.

Engine 252 looks great, but I think it's screaming for a Roto-Ray (even though they're not very popular throughout NYS)

Apr 28, 2013
New York/Mass
Not a huge fan of Slicktop FD units, especially the airport FD units (where I would've preferred to at least see an LED minibar or LED beacon to give it some better warning).

I think the Boston lighting packages can def use some improvement on the sides.

Engine 252 looks great, but I think it's screaming for a Roto-Ray (even though they're not very popular throughout NYS)
Slicktop makes it easier to get in and out of the garages. Very little roof clearance at Albany Airport in areas. 

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Additions
Who does the Sprinter ambulance belong to?

Slicktop makes it easier to get in and out of the garages. Very little roof clearance at Albany Airport in areas. 
I know the feeling about lowtop garages!  One of my drivers years ago took our Type II Chevy van ambulance into the parking garage where he lived and knocked the beacon off the hightop part of the van.  The kid was sick over it, but the ambulance survived!

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Who does the Sprinter ambulance belong to?
The white Sprinter labeled GAVAC/SAVAC belongs to Greater Amsterdam VAC and St Johnsville VAC. While still called a VAC, it's now 24/7 commercial operation in Amsterdam, NY and all of Montgomery County. They also have a CON in portionsof Fulton County.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
What's the NYCS GMC & trailer used for?

Also, Engine Ladder 542 sounds a bit stupid IMO...the designation Quint 542 would cover the engine and ladder designation, but I wouldn't be opposed to Ladder 542 either since many depts in the US (outside of big cities) can suffice with a 55-75 ft aerial like this (as opposed to 100+ ft aerial)

Actually for a Long Island department it's kinda small, lol. Usually they have large buses.
Yup, and about 10+ "takehome" suburbans/tahoes lit up almost like hatzolah rides for all the Chiefs and (as ridiculous as it is) the commissioners

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I like how KME mount the flush-mount mini freedom in that section of the grill in 546. I also like the idea of having the flag on the platform bucket, but I think I think horizontal flag would've looked better

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I had to click on the photo to see it undistorted.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
E-272 is a nice truck but I think it's pointless to have 3 mini freedoms (as opposed to 1 full size freedom) if they aren't gonna angle the 2 outer mini freedoms at 45 degrees

Reactions: tsquale

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.