Found a new Commander II and have a question

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
Saw a Whelen 5200 Commander Strobe II sitting on a back shelf at a local up-fitters shop.
Snagged it for $40.
It was in the original Whelen box but no paperwork.
Black -
Red +
Purple to - for low power
Easy peasy....

But how is the cruise light wired? There are two white wires exiting the base but I don't want to gank this light up by screwing around with wiring. Does anyone have an idea?

781297-146-51.jpg

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
actually isnt this the same as the Super Strobe?? it says the Grey wire is the Cruise light wire...
install Guide #13023 S360D Strobe Beacon...

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
And Actually I just found that the Superstrobe ( under 2 names ) actually talks about the Cruise Light addition, still searching for my old Catalogs going way way back!

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
These old strobes had a great Whine!
The original SS(Super Strobe) 360 came with a on/Hi power, off, on/lo power switch. The only pattern in the beginning was the Strobe II double flash pattern. Nice bright light!

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
The SS361 is a strobe head only, and requires a separate power supply. The SS363 was also a remote head, but included branch guard cage. The SS360 is self contained.
SS stands for Super Strobe. SS360 was the model number for SuperStrobe 360.
SSNF had a halogen light that flashed in unison with the strobe flash. Sun, Snow and Fog was the advertised use. The added halogen was easier to track and not as distracting in foul weather as strobe alone.

Last edited:

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
First the earth cooled, and then came the dinosaurs, but they all got fat and lazy and died and turned into oil, and then came the arabs!

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
SSNF had a halogen light that flashed in unison with the strobe flash. Sun, Snow and Fog was the advertised use. The added halogen was easier to track and not as distracting in foul weather as strobe alone.

I wouldn't mind finding one of those :cool:

Im still looking for a nice pair of SS360D's
The switch Im referring to is the one shown in this PDF...

http://www.fleetsafetysupply.com/whelen360superstrobe.pdf

Im surprised no one has any of these laying around still

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
We had those on our EMS units back in the 80's. Not very effective in the daytime, chirped like crazy through the speakers.801274.jpg

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
on a rotating display with a rotating light in a different color and used for a dj! LOL

Back in the 80's our Captan's drove station wagons with a pair of Commanders mounted on a bar along with small front facing strobes and a center speaker. I would love to recreate that but what are the chances of finding another matching NIB commander. I also have no clue what the small strobes were, they were rectangular and relatively wide.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
No I have not
Do you know of a contact there that might be interested in looking for something small like that
I would think they aren't too interested in small-potato orders/inquiries
Well I have talked to a few guys there over the years... this is the last one I was dealing with on some small stuff....

Jim Schaefer | Technical Support

Whelen Engineering Company Inc.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Sounds like a Model 5800 with a pair of MiniMax strobe heads inboard. The 5800 had a single internal strobe power supply and a slave, and flashed alternately synchronized.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Oh nice pic
Interesting that they used them as primary lighting
Do you happen to know what speaker that is?

I happen to have a NIB SS360 and would love to find a match in order to make up a replica bar similar to what your picture shows

293293-876-97.jpg
Primary lighting for sure, these were top end lights, and meant for primary emergency lighting.
Note the special mounts for these lights integrating them onto the ends of the bar. You could mount 2 lights to the bar, but would be missing the Integral mounts. Nice light you have there.
I have some split amber/red domes, and a clear dome for this light, if needed.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jriccio@necommunications.

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.